Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:17 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,908,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedy View Post
What did they pay like? Seems like every retailer now believes that experience can be replaced by "training" cheaper employees.
Another reason for the new chain stores not paying well, in the old days countermen needed to be well versed in all things automotive, and had to have the ability to navigate through a 3 foot long counter catalog to find the part they were looking for. You had to know vehicles from one end to the other, and which manufacture's catalog to go to in order to find the part you wanted, and you had to have the ability to speak the tech's language in order to communicate with, and in many cases, to guide the tech.
Today you can hire anyone off the street, and if they know how to turn on a computer, they are parts experts, no knowledge of vehicles, engine sizes, etc, etc, required.
Just as the average back yard mechanic today, they simply go online and follow the bouncing ball, no skills, no knowledge required.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:14 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I have an Autozone and Advance Auto near me, and I almost always go to Advance. Help is a little more knowledgeable and the parts somewhat better quality. I have had so many DuraLast parts fail quickly that I call them Don't Last. Just seems like Advance is a little further up the food chain than Autozone.

However, Advance just lost a sale on an Optima battery my son needed. Their price was $ 259 and he had a 20% off coupon. They refused to honor the coupon due to something, so he went to Amazon, free shipping and $193.00. And retailers wonder why the internet is cleaning their clock.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
i remember many times, trying to get the counter person off the phone to take my money over somebody shopping for prices

Old 02-18-2017, 02:12 PM

24 posts, read 30,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have an Autozone and Advance Auto near me, and I almost always go to Advance. Help is a little more knowledgeable and the parts somewhat better quality. I have had so many DuraLast parts fail quickly that I call them Don't Last. Just seems like Advance is a little further up the food chain than Autozone.

However, Advance just lost a sale on an Optima battery my son needed. Their price was $ 259 and he had a 20% off coupon. They refused to honor the coupon due to something, so he went to Amazon, free shipping and $193.00. And retailers wonder why the internet is cleaning their clock.
Everything is cheaper online, there is no reason to buy from autzone or advanced auto, unless you get discounts. Most products from these two stores are medium to low quality. Most of the products you don't need. In fact, in walmart, you can get the same product for cheaper.

For example, the Meguiar liquid wax is sold at $18-20 at these stores, you can get it for $15 at walmart, buy online, pick up at store. No reason to buy at these stores when you can get it cheaper at walmart or even online.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
You are happy about wasting 8 years of your life at a dead end job? Not hating on people who work these type of jobs i've done it myself in my teens and early 20s temporarily.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 20,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywer55 View Post
Do you remember any prank calls? How did you found them? Annoying? Time-consuming? Funny?
I really didn't receive that many. First one I could possibly remember goes back to 2010 about some guy claiming to have gotten motor oil being blasted on his windshield washer, so as soon as he said that pretty much was a dead giveaway. Of course, you expect for him to call the mechanic instead. I kind of still decided to play along with it. Then there were some that annoyed the hell out of me that I just decided to hang up at least in the 2nd minute so. I actually haven't received one since 2013. That one was about the water pump gasket thingy looking like a penis lmao. I see that is a very common prank call done.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You are happy about wasting 8 years of your life at a dead end job? Not hating on people who work these type of jobs i've done it myself in my teens and early 20s temporarily.
Let's be honest. Just like racism and sexism and other isms out there, people shouldn't also be judged for their occupations. I rather be a parts clerk than a middle school teacher thank you very much.

And like I said time to start something new.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Another reason for the new chain stores not paying well, in the old days countermen needed to be well versed in all things automotive, and had to have the ability to navigate through a 3 foot long counter catalog to find the part they were looking for. You had to know vehicles from one end to the other, and which manufacture's catalog to go to in order to find the part you wanted, and you had to have the ability to speak the tech's language in order to communicate with, and in many cases, to guide the tech.
Today you can hire anyone off the street, and if they know how to turn on a computer, they are parts experts, no knowledge of vehicles, engine sizes, etc, etc, required.
Just as the average back yard mechanic today, they simply go online and follow the bouncing ball, no skills, no knowledge required.
This post right here.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM

Has anyone else worked at an automotive supply retailer for this long? I know my brother worked for O'reily as a manager doe for about 9 years[2006-2015].

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywer55 View Post
What's the most unexpected car you've seen in the location's parking lot? Ferrari? Porsche? Maserati? Lamborghini? Tesla?
Honestly, I am gonna have to say either some Aston Martin, Porsche or even a Tesla. I did also see one Bentley and as well a Maserati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive