Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times

Advertisements

I think maybe I need to read Consumer Reports some more? (I used to read them a lot years ago and was pretty well versed on what brands/models tended to be reliable.)

Yes I'm still looking around for a Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix. I also have looked at small SUVs like the Ford Escape, Chevrolet Equinox etc, typically I find they are priced higher than small cars (no surprise). My wife wants a minivan or a small SUV if we can't get a Vibe/Matrix (otherwise I figured we'd "settle" for a Civic/Corolla). Today I came across someone wanting $3500 (KBB says $3000 even) for a 2007 Mitsubishi Endeavor with 150,000 miles, all works except they sealed the sunroof shut on it. I haven't looked at it yet. It has front-wheel drive vs all-wheel drive, which I actually prefer as I don't do any off-roading and I figure simpler means less complexity and thus better reliability and lower costs when you do have to repair.

I had forgotten about Mitsubishi, previously I used to read that they tended to score well in tests and tended to be rather reliable much like a Toyota/Honda/Nissan, if not quite as much so, still they were much better than the US made models most times. (They used to make small cars/trucks for Chrysler and they tended to test out well and get good reliability scores.) I had a friend in college who had a Mitsubishi Galant and it actually compared favorably to the Toyota Camry/Honda Accord at the time, they tend to be one of the ones somewhat forgotten about compared to Toyota/Honda/Nissan (Subara/Mazda sometimes seem to be forgotten about as well).

That was years ago, however. Is that still somewhat the case? If it is I figure this could be something of a bargain (to get a Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4 or even a Ford Escape for that much you typically have to get something like a 2001 and with 250,000 miles on it). They do have a presence here, I do see Mitsubishi models in passing fairly often and there is a dealership which sells them, so I could get parts OK I figured.

As a side note, sometimes I see people selling Chrysler minivans for low but my experience with them is that they are absolute nightmares in terms of having to be repaired all the time, someone I know used to buy them and every single one they got had issues, they now have a 2002 or 2003 Chevrolet Ventura and while I wouldn't regard that as being as good as a Toyota Corolla/Honda Civic, it has sure done a lot better than their Chrysler models did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Mitsus are right up there with the best of 'em for lasting and do it without the premium price.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehic...s/Over180k.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive