Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 04:38 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,929,905 times

Advertisements

He was dressed all in black on a black motorcycle making him relatively difficult to see. Makes me wonder why so many bikers like to dress up like a ninja while riding? You know why Japanese ninjas wear all black? Because as assassins they want to be stealthy and hard to see. However dressing like a ninja is not a smart thing to do when riding a motorbike in traffic. In fact it is pointless and downright stupid. But hey at least you will be dressed appropriately for your own funeral!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 PM

3,373 posts, read 9,155,282 times
My helmet is solid yellow.....hopefully you will see me.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:21 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,170,735 times
I'm sure the post from the biker would be vastly different.

Do you have trouble seeing small black cars too?

My guess is you just weren't paying attention to your surroundings, since it's pretty damn hard to not HEAR a bike when they are near you.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
He was dressed all in black on a black motorcycle making him relatively difficult to see. 
I have pulled up next to the invisible Bikers at the next light...and have wanted to shout out,
"Hey ...i couldn't see you back there in those dark clothes."
But with their motor i don't know if they will hear me...and they could flip me off.
They MUST know...they have cars, too. *shrug*

I was told when I had a dark grey Honda to 'watch out people will not see you'...they were correct.
Now, I miss cars that are the color of the pavement.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,549,824 times
Very SAD, isn't it, Cisco Kid?

Not only Motorcycle Drivers but Pedestrians and Bicycle Riders seem to love their black attire . . . especially after dark and while jay walking.

Since I live "in town" walking and biking are as common for me as driving and I have witnessed what you are describing far too often.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,733,644 times
Quote:
He was dressed all in black on a black motorcycle making him relatively difficult to see. Makes me wonder why so many bikers like to dress up like a ninja while riding? You know why Japanese ninjas wear all black? Because as assassins they want to be stealthy and hard to see. However dressing like a ninja is not a smart thing to do when riding a motorbike in traffic. In fact it is pointless and downright stupid. But hey at least you will be dressed appropriately for your own funeral!
I wonder if this dude -- while putting himself in danger by doing his best to remain invisible -- is a loud-pipes-save-lives! guy. You know the type. No helmet, hits the road after a few beers, all-black attire, yet wouldn't dream of having a functional muffler because 'That's dangerous! Someone might not hear me coming six blocks away!'.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:54 PM

22,572 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Yeah, it makes no sense..................bikers with poor visibility, but their exhaust-system is REALLY loud.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,929,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I'm sure the post from the biker would be vastly different.

Do you have trouble seeing small black cars too?
Not a good comparison. Even the smallest typical car is several times larger, and hence more visible than a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
My guess is you just weren't paying attention to your surroundings, since it's pretty damn hard to not HEAR a bike when they are near you.
So according to you whenever there's a collision between car and biker it's always the driver's fault?
When the biker is speeding excessively as they commonly do it may be too late for a driver to react in time to avoid colliding with them. The noise of a motorcycle will not always indicate what direction they are coming from, because the sound is often non-directional. Other large vehicles, sunlight glare, etc. may be blocking your view of where the bike is coming from until it is too late. Often times you won't even hear the bike at all when they are traveling in the other direction until it is too late to avoid hitting them. It doesn't help when they are dressed in black from head to toe like a muslim woman wearing a burka.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:49 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,170,735 times
Quote:
Not a good comparison. Even the smallest typical car is several times larger, and hence more visible than a motorcycle.
Wrong. A rider on a bike is actually taller than most cars, even when hunching over on a sport bike. That makes them FAR more visible to today's cars with high sight lines due to smaller and smaller windows. And, as I said, the sound is also much more noticeable.

Quote:
So according to you whenever there's a collision between car and biker it's always the driver's fault?
I didn't say that. But in your case, yeah, it's probably your fault.

Quote:
When the biker is speeding excessively as they commonly do it may be too late for a driver to react in time to avoid colliding with them. The noise of a motorcycle will not always indicate what direction they are coming from, because the sound is often non-directional. Other large vehicles, sunlight glare, etc. may be blocking your view of where the bike is coming from until it is too late. Often times you won't even hear the bike at all when they are traveling in the other direction until it is too late to avoid hitting them. It doesn't help when they are dressed in black from head to toe like a muslim woman wearing a burka.
Ah, see how your story has suddenly changed? So now you're saying this biker was speeding excessively are you?

BS. You didn't notice him because you weren't paying attention, and now you're trying to insinuate that he was speeding, without ever mentioned anything of the sort in your original post.

Anyone who has any amount of experience riding is a FAR better driver than a person who does not ride. It forces you to pay attention, because if you don't, you're likely going to die sooner rather than later. There's always idiot riders out there who ride dangerously, just like there are idiot car drivers out there who do the same. Care to guess which group is larger?

Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,214,953 times
In most car bike accidents, the driver of the car is typically at fault.

No self respecting biker without a metal enclosure surrounding their bodies would take unnecessary risks by driving like an idiot because of all the inattentive drivers on the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive