Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:10 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
not surprising that even back then car craft ( aka ) chevy craft would have the ss chevelle with the fastest times .. in the article they mention barely getting a mid 14 et out of the car yet later miraculously somehow get 13 .1 ..
Yeah, I've heard of that phrase, too... Chevy Craft!

It must have been a poor driver at first and/or not used to launching that car off the line. A lot of wheelspin coming out of the hole will really hurt the E.T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I love those cars and I am still thinking about getting a project, as I am so fascinated by the sound, the handling, the look of the end 60s and beginning of 70s cars. I would prefer a 67 GTO though.

Why people bring up those modern cars in this thread. Nobody will doubt that a 2017 Camaro SS is as much fun as the old ones, but this is just not the place to discuss about that. A Honda? C'mon.
A '67 GTO? Good choice! Yes, great sound, those classic muscle cars. The intake roar at full-throttle is really something.

I hear some of those modern cars (Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, etc) drive by at full- or near full-throttle... they sound like a vacuum cleaner! Not appealing at all to a classic muscle car fan.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Modern super cars outhandle, outbrake and accelerate faster then a lot of the 60's and 70's muscle cars. And then to top it off the newer cars or very comfortable.

Now lets talk about when cars were cars and ment to be driven by macho thugs. Those cars were rough and tough and had a different type of power then new cars they weren't smooth or soft they had engines that shook to whole car at the stop light, they could and did knock your glasses off your face during hard acceleration. They could get tire squeal and complete lose of control at any speed or in any gear.

Which would I rather own? the old muscle cars. because every day with one of them was a day to remember.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:49 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Be interesting to test track numbers with these cars rolling on modern summer performance steel belted radial tires.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Be interesting to test track numbers with these cars rolling on modern summer performance steel belted radial tires.
Modern tires would probably a knock of few tenths off the ETs, but harder launches (better 60ft times) typically result in lower trap speeds - and all of the cars in the test already have unimpressively low trap speeds.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I was a teenager in the 1970s and remember being completely awestruck by these cars. I was certain they were, and always would be, the epitome of automotive performance. Fast forward 47 years and there's a 2014 Ford Taurus sitting in my driveway that will outperform any of these cars. Considering these were pretty much the top-of-line performance models at the time, it just shows how far cars have come. When compared to today's equivalents, a Hellcat Challenger, for example, it would be easy to assume we're currently in the golden era of automotive performance. Based on history, I think things are just going to get better.
Yeah, but todays cars won't (probably) be restorable in 40 years because all the electronic parts won't be available anymore. Or at least that's my take on it.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Modern tires would probably a knock of few tenths off the ETs, but harder launches (better 60ft times) typically result in lower trap speeds - and all of the cars in the test already have unimpressively low trap speeds.
107 mph trap speeds are unimpressively low?

Modern tires usually cut 1/2 to one second off the E.T.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:15 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
107 mph trap speeds are unimpressively low?

Modern tires usually cut 1/2 to one second off the E.T.
107mph is family car territory these days.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Some modern $tock car$ have very hot automatic (6-8 speed dual clutch), launch control, exotic induction systems (FI, turbo, supercharge) and lots of cams and valves. Few people do much work on them themselves, they just take 'em to someone who'll plug 'em into a computer to diagnose them, and install a new chip and/or blower pulley to increase HP by 10-30%(?) for a few hunnert bucks.

Back in the day ... most folks did their own tuning, and added more "trick" stuff on (headers, traction bars/kits, ignition systems, camshafts, carbs, tires (slicks were really the only ticket then), gears (4:10-4:88) , 100+ octane gas ... etc). This made a lot of difference from street stockers. The cars that cruised early drive in and fast food stands, and maybe went up on the highway to see who was quicker, were often far from "stock". They sounded like nothing you'll hear today. Some went pretty quick, in a straight line.

Then there were the real hot rods light cars with big/hot "souped up" different engine/trans combos...

Most didn't stop or handle anything like today's 'bought' hot rods...or even many normal cars.

It was a different world...

Old 04-02-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
107mph is family car territory these days.
What family cars run 107 mph in the 1/4 mile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive