Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:26 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times

Advertisements

Buyer beware

I ordered some brake parts for my Ranger. New pads, hydraulic hoses and two caliper rebuild kits. I received the parts in to days, one day before they were supposed to show up. However, once I opened the box I realized they sent me used parts.
The rebuild kits plastic bags were tore open and only had one set of seals in each bag. My truck has dual piston calipers. When I ordered them, the pic showed four seals in the kit. I double checked the parts numbers on the boxes and they are the correct seals for my truck. So not only were the bags open, someone removed a set of seals (from each box) and returned them. Rock Auto turned around and resold them as new parts.
I've ordered from them a few times and this is a first for me. Still, this makes me question their integrity. I doubt I'll do business with them anymore, even if they do usually have the cheapest price. I did send a request for a refund, we'll see how that goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Did you call them or just send a refund request?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Did you call them or just send a refund request?
I sent the request on their website. If I don't get a reply tomorrow I'll call them.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:32 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Rebuilding is cheaper and easier than installing remaned calipers?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Sounds like an honest mistake. I have used RockAuto for years with 0 issues.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Sounds like an honest mistake. I have used RockAuto for years with 0 issues.
Yeah I've used them a few times before too without an issue, but this was so obvious. They not only didn't inspect a return, they placed it back in stock for sale. That's some Wal-Mart level stuff right there. Hopefully they have a talk to the warehouse manager about it.

However, I did receive an email from them this morning stating the refund has been issued so it was promptly resolved.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Rebuilding is cheaper and easier than installing remaned calipers?
I like doing that sort of stuff, so yeah. Calipers themselves don't go bad unless they break or get rust inside, so replacing the whole thing seems like over kill to me. This way all I do is replace the seals and keep the OE caliper. The seal kit was only $5 or so, so yeah it's cheaper by far. Plus, the local parts shops around here have mostly Chinese parts. If I wanted Motorcraft caliper I'd either go to the dealership and pay that markup or order online and have to deal with sending the core back too.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:12 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Yeah I've used them a few times before too without an issue, but this was so obvious. They not only didn't inspect a return, they placed it back in stock for sale. That's some Wal-Mart level stuff right there. Hopefully they have a talk to the warehouse manager about it.
Couple of things.

First off, Rock Auto is a huge company that fills thousands of orders a day and probably processes hundreds of returns. Out of all those parts handled, once in awhile something is going to slip through. I hardly think this one indiscretion is a game-changer that justifies a sit-down with the warehouse manager.

Secondly, Wal Mart is a high-volume discount retailer. Rock Auto is a high volume discount retailer. The only difference between the two from a business perspective is that Wal Mart maintains a brick-and-mortar presence while Rock Auto doesn't. So I don't know why you wouldn't expect "Wal-Mart level stuff" from Rock Auto.

Quote:
However, I did receive an email from them this morning stating the refund has been issued so it was promptly resolved.
So they've taken care of the problem in an expedient manner without requiring you to jump through a bunch of hoops. I don't really see how you could ask for anything more.

Last edited by duster1979; 04-06-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Couple of typos

Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Couple of things.

First off, Rock Auto is a huge company that fills thousands of orders a day and fdprobably processes hundreds of returns. Out of all those parts handled, once in awhile something is going to slip through. I hardly think this one discretion is a game-changer that justifies a sit-down with the warehouse manager.

Secondly, Wal Mart is a high-volume discount retailer. Rock Auto is a high volume discount retailer. The only difference between the two from a business perspective is that Wal Mart maintains a brick-and-mortar presence while Rock Auto doesn't. So I don't know why you wouldn't expect "Wal-Mart level stuff" from Rock Auto.

So they've taken care of the problem in an expedient manner without requiring you to jump through a bunch of hoops. I don't really see how you could ask for anything more.
Agreed. Rock Auto is the Walmart of the auto parts world. Nothing wrong with that. They deal with high volume. Things are going to slip through. It's not when they make mistakes but how they resolved it.

Sounds like they did their part in resolving the issue. I wouldn't stop shopping there due to this one error.

I'm not a Rock Auto shill but I think it's irresponsible for someone to come on a public message board and post this before trying to get things resolved with retailer first.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,956 times
Mistakes happen. They shouldn't be judged by the mistakes but rather how they respond to make things right.

Don't email. Phone them, talk to a person. Be polite, firm, have all the details handy. Maybe even have a photo ready to email if they want to see it. Explain that you're a steady customer.

I had this happen to me with a mail order company. Ordered a part, got one that was obviously used and returned.
I phoned them and they instantly apologized, and offered to replace it with the top-end version of the same part, (or a refund, or an exact replacement). Got the top end and was super happy.

Same happened when getting a new dishwasher. The one I ordered, had a delivery glitch and I wasted a half day off work sitting around. When I phoned in all ready to blast them, I was (pleasantly) flabbergasted by a replacement with a $300 more model, and install fee waived (another $60). Needless to say, they have a customer for life.
But you have to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive