Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:46 PM

242 posts, read 315,734 times

Advertisements

2005 Suzuki Forenza sedan
4cyl engine with automatic transmission
Odometer 142890
Sealed Transmission, No dipstick.

I dont remember if the fluid has ever been changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,935,734 times
Well, just a guess here.

But maybe READ the service manual that came with the car. If this is a used car and manual was missing then go online and find it and READ it.

If you have no proof that the transmission fluid has ever been changed - then go get it changed. And never ever never ever never ever do a "flush" on an older car.

Ask for a "gravity drain" and fill. If there is a filter have that changed.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:41 PM

421 posts, read 541,160 times
I don't buy into "lifetime" ATF. Only if you are ok with the fluid setting the lifetime.

Think of this way: what if you looked at the windshield, then the odo, then realized... you missed the oil change. You're 5k over, or 10k. How about 20k? Would you decide not to change it, just in case the old oil was holding the bearings together?

Best I can tell, more than a few people would never change the trans oil. Then, when the trans started acting up, they'd finally do it. As a last ditch option. But the damage was done, so it became a self-fufilling prophecy: it was no wonder why it died after the oil change. Mechanics don't want to be in the crossfire: they don't want to be the last ones to touch the transmission, and then be blamed ("well, at least it was moving--until you touched! you must have killed it!").

Have you looked at any forums on how to do the job? At the very least I'd want to dip a finger into the oil and see what it looks like. Also to see if the filter is a real filter or just a strainer--if it's a strainer then it likely does not need changing. But dropping the pan to clean the magnets would still be advised.

As to a flush... I've read of differing opinions as to if anyone has made a machine to "flush" using pressure. Problem is a matter of terminology. I think I did a flush on my Camry (which had 140kmiles on it, OEM fluid); but all I did was first a pan drop, clean the magnets; then fill up with the quart or two. Then I pulled a line from the cooler, started the car, and dumped in fresh ATF as the old stuff was pumped out. A complete "flush" of the system, all new fluid.

There are machines which likewise hook up to the cooler lines and push in new ATF while pulling out old fluid; but it's not necessarily under pressure. More like something to just speed up the process.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 PM

133 posts, read 209,392 times
Is the transmission shifts well? are you having issues?

I also bought a car (late 90's Maxima) with 108K and did one drain and refill around 130K - the transmission started shifting a little better. Since i did it twice more.

It is kind of simple procedure, like an oil change, and considering the fact that when you drain it, only ~40% of the fluid is out, I wouldn't hesitate doing it.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsoto1988 View Post
2005 Suzuki Forenza sedan
4cyl engine with automatic transmission
Odometer 142890
Sealed Transmission, No dipstick.

I dont remember if the fluid has ever been changed.
Per online manual, 180k.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,477,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Well, just a guess here.

But maybe READ the service manual that came with the car. If this is a used car and manual was missing then go online and find it and READ it.

If you have no proof that the transmission fluid has ever been changed - then go get it changed. And never ever never ever never ever do a "flush" on an older car.

Ask for a "gravity drain" and fill. If there is a filter have that changed.
LEL. Flushes are fine. Of course, most don't do them until the trans is already toast, so they blame the flush instead of their own lack of timely maintenance.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:19 PM

17,171 posts, read 21,838,767 times
I was told by a the owner of a transmission shop the high pressure flushes tend to break debris loose and wreck old transmissions. He said a drain/fill and clean the screen/filter is what he recommends although it doesn't get all the fluid out of the torque converter.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,935,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I was told by a the owner of a transmission shop the high pressure flushes tend to break debris loose and wreck old transmissions. He said a drain/fill and clean the screen/filter is what he recommends although it doesn't get all the fluid out of the torque converter.
Correct.

The "flush machines" were invented for the quickie lube places so that they can make money without dropping the pan and replacing the filter. Absolutely stupid.

But most places jumped in and purchased these expensive machines and to justify that expense they will tell customers how "great" the machine is.

Granted some machines are not high pressure. But even so the pan is not cleaned and the filter is not changed. Yes, some will do a flush and drop the pan but this costs even more. The shops have to pay for these expensive flush machines.

The debate is endless. Get a flush if you like.

But for older cars - gravity drain, drop pan, replace filter, and do so as per the owners manual.

Sadly too many don't read the owners manual.

And even worse are the so called "lifetime" automatic transmission/fluids. No one yet has explained whose lifetime one is supposed to follow.

And someone will always chime in that they own such and such automobile. Drove 10 kazillion miles and never changed the fluid. Wonderful. Great. But not for the average person car owner. Nor is there any proof that posted story ever existed in real life.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,133,426 times
It depends on the car. Many manufacturers call it lifetime fluid - then in later reports you find they mean 100K to 200K miles.

There are transmissions that are known to have trouble after the fluid is changed at high mileage, and others that benefit.

If it were my car, I would get off this site and go to a site specific to your year, make and model and ask the question there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive