Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:00 PM

1,846 posts, read 833,102 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple of years multiple news articles have written about the possibilty of a Chinese manufacturer selling mass produced cars in the U.S. Will it ever happen? Has it already happened and I just haven't heard about it? Will any other asian manufacturer eventually make there way into the U.S market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Right now I'm guessing Chinese manufacturer's are doing all they can just to keep up in their own market.

Now that you mention it though, I cant think of any Chinease companies at all that sell anything in America, automobiles or otherwise. They have lots of factories that are good at copying other company's designs and selling them either as generics or illegal copies, but they aren't so good with their own designs from their own brands (except for fireworks, maybe).

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a currently well known manufacturer such as GM or someone else start importing Chinese made cars here in the not to distant future.

Last edited by bfrabel; 04-09-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Highly unlikely in the near future. They do not build to any safety standards in China. The US has some of the most stringent in the world. Even a car made to Australian standards cannot pass a US safety standards test. The only company that makes cars that MIGHT be able to make the transition is Tata but obviously not with their wood framed trucks.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
They're already here... Volvo is owned by Geely.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:23 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Buick Envision, built by General Motors in China (in joint partnership with SAIC, a Chinese state owned auto manufacturer), is being sold in the United States.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They're already here... Volvo is owned by Geely.
That's not exactly a Chinese brand vehicle.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:21 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Right now there are not any Chinese brands selling in the US. Currently, Volvo (S60 Inscription), Buick (Envision), Cadillac (CT6 Plug In) are the only Chinese made cars being sold in the US. Honda has sold a Chinese made Fit in Canada for a couple of years.

The Chinese manufacturers realize that their cars aren't ready for the US market. Now that their market is cooling, many are focusing on what will sell in the US. They know they can't compete on price alone because those that buy on price alone aren't a big enough market to be profitable. Right now, a number of Chinese manufacturers are setting up design and engineering studios in the US to cater their product specifically for this market. I don't except a brand here before 2020.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
The only successful "Chinese" cars are those that they acquired. MG is another nice one. I don't know if they physically moved the production to China.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:30 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Right now I'm guessing Chinese manufacturer's are doing all they can just to keep up in their own market.

Now that you mention it though, I cant think of any Chinease companies at all that sell anything in America, automobiles or otherwise. They have lots of factories that are good at copying other company's designs and selling them either as generics or illegal copies, but they aren't so good with their own designs from their own brands (except for fireworks, maybe).

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a currently well known manufacturer such as GM or someone else start importing Chinese made cars here in the not to distant future.
What century do you live in?

And, yes, giving that over 80% of Buick's global sales are sold in China it makes a lot of sense for GM to import Chinese made Buicks rather than building them here for what is a pretty small market.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
People once laughed at Japanese imports, they don't laugh now.

Permanence is the greatest illusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive