Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 AM

22,171 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

i am brand loyal to Nissan (reliable, drive them 10-12 years easily, retain good market value for sell or trade) I have owned a Quest and loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,205 times
I think the King of the minivan has usually been Chrysler / Dodge, and those are the only minivans I have ever owned. My 1995, 1999, and 2005 Dodge Grand Caravans have been reliable enough for me. Being a Mech Eng, I know enough to fix my vehicles myself, usually, but sometimes yeah, you gotta take stuff to the dealer or other auto repair shop.

I used to be a Honda fan, but not so much anymore.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Stay away from VW...nothing but problems. Nissan Quest is decent along with a Mercury Villager, which is the same thing as the Quest.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Thanks for the input everyone! We were EXTREMELY fortunate to find a great deal on a 2005 Sienna for $5500 with 90K miles. I am in LOVE with my new ride. Craigslist saved search alerts came in handy this time! We jumped on that listing within an hour of it being posted this morning and were driving it home by 11am.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone! We were EXTREMELY fortunate to find a great deal on a 2005 Sienna for $5500 with 90K miles. I am in LOVE with my new ride. Craigslist saved search alerts came in handy this time! We jumped on that listing within an hour of it being posted this morning and were driving it home by 11am.
CONGRATS! You really were fortunate to find a 12-year-old Sienna with only 90k miles on it!

Not to rain on your parade, but do you know if the timing belt has been changed? Toyota recommends that the timing belt be changed on that engine every 9yrs or 90k miles, whichever comes first. The 3.3L V6 is an 'interference' engine, which means major damage is very likely if the timing belt breaks. Given the age of the vehicle, I would try to have it changed ASAP if it still has the original one.

It also looks like the spark plugs are due for a change every 30k miles. Here's a link to the official Toyota maintenance schedule- SIENNA

Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
CONGRATS! You really were fortunate to find a 12-year-old Sienna with only 90k miles on it!

Not to rain on your parade, but do you know if the timing belt has been changed? Toyota recommends that the timing belt be changed on that engine every 9yrs or 90k miles, whichever comes first. The 3.3L V6 is an 'interference' engine, which means major damage is very likely if the timing belt breaks. Given the age of the vehicle, I would try to have it changed ASAP if it still has the original one.

It also looks like the spark plugs are due for a change every 30k miles. Here's a link to the official Toyota maintenance schedule- SIENNA
Yes, we are very much aware of the timing belt change necessity with our previous Odyssey and Sienna. My husband has a mechanic friend that just came by today and verified that it was time, so we will be taking care of that in the very near future. Thanks for sharing your concern and the link. I'll be bookmarking that!

ETA: I'll be printing that out! I think that can help ME help my hubby stay on track with our vehicle maintenance. I know that is an issue that we have argued about with the Odyssey.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Yes, we are very much aware of the timing belt change necessity with our previous Odyssey and Sienna. My husband has a mechanic friend that just came by today and verified that it was time, so we will be taking care of that in the very near future.
It's like a $500 to $700 job. If that's the only issue, the car's still cheap.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
That is a good deal. Enjoy your new vehicle.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:51 PM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
I have seen countless Sedonas with over 200k for sale, so you should have a solid ride for many years to come, congrats!

That being said, in case there are lurkers that find this thread let me add my overpriced two cents. Avoid the Routan, small production line and it's an orphan, the Quest is good, but on the smaller size and now let me stand up for the T&C.

Stow and go seating for all the seats are awesome! It was designed to haul crap, there is a load line and it can fit a 4x8 plywood board. The mpg is amazing and I have seen plenty of high mileage older T&Cs for sale so knock on wood, I got one of the good ones. I enjoy mine so much that I have to keep talking myself out of upgrading to the new Pacifica (it's the new T&C), seriously head over to youtube and checkout the reviews for this van. Active news cancellation is standard and they have a plugin version, full warning the batteries are where the second seats usually stow and go, so you lose that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive