Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
AFIK real car enthusiasts are not buying the Tesla anyway.
I know a lot of enthusiasts who buy Teslas as their daily drivers, and use the power quite a bit. And they certainly can use max power more than just one time in a row, though unless you are drag racing all day, it's not an issue as you can blast up an onramp and cool down once you get up to speed. And even speeding down twisty backroads, you're not under constant acceleration. So in the real world, it's not an issue. You can use as much power as any supercar or musclecar.

I've driven a buddy's P90D and let me tell you, that power is addicting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
840 horse you make that sound like a crazy feat to be made...

I can put an old carbed big block together in my garage that will eclipse 840 reliably.
That isn't the issue. The issue is making a production engine, make it street legal, including smog regulations, and fitting it into CAFE.

Moreover the Demon is more than an engine -- its other things including launch control and suspension that allows weight transfer to the rear, etc etc etc.

And it has a factory warranty.

Personally, I look forward to all the major manufacturers engaged in a HP war. We're entering a 2nd Golden Age of Muscle Cars, and I like it.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 05-30-2017 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-30-2017, 10:31 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I know a lot of enthusiasts who buy Teslas as their daily drivers, and use the power quite a bit. ... I've driven a buddy's P90D and let me tell you, that power is addicting.
I've never driven one, but I have sat in a stationary one.

I noticed all sorts of little details of things not lining up, odd irregularities and inconsistencies in the way the interior was assembled. The materials were high quality, but they just didn't fit together properly. On the outside, many panels were not aligned correctly and much of the molding looked like it was installed by kindergarteners.

The real problem is that the traditional manufacturers really know how to design a car for manufacturing and assemble it properly, a problem that's almost harder than designing a car for functionality. Tesla is still figuring this part out.

See for example https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...-a-week.66580/

Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That isn't the issue. The issue is making a production engine, make it street legal, including smog regulations, and fitting it into CAFE.

Moreover the Demon is more than an engine -- its other things including launch control and suspension that allows weight transfer to the rear, etc etc etc.

And it has a factory warranty.

Personally, I look forward to all the major manufacturers engaged in a HP war. We're entering a 2nd Golden Age of Muscle Cars, and I like it.
Why?

To make the insurance companies money?

Screw cafe and the EPA.

Launch control is a gas pedal and a clutch pedal.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I've never driven one, but I have sat in a stationary one.

I noticed all sorts of little details of things not lining up, odd irregularities and inconsistencies in the way the interior was assembled. The materials were high quality, but they just didn't fit together properly. On the outside, many panels were not aligned correctly and much of the molding looked like it was installed by kindergarteners.

I did see that with early cars, but later production versions seem to be quite nice. My buddy's car is a later one and it is, while spartan inside, well put together and the exterior seams are nice and everything lines up. The early Model Xs are the same way. I saw a first gen one, and the Falcon wing doors had alignment issues, but there is one at work that is brand new, and it all lines up great.

But you really ought to drive one if you can. It's an interesting and amazing experience, especially the more powerful AWD versions.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:38 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Why?

To make the insurance companies money?

Screw cafe and the EPA.

Launch control is a gas pedal and a clutch pedal.
You can say screw cafe and EPA. But unfortunately the automakers can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive