Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 11:25 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't ever use a debit card at a restaurant where you hand it to your server and let them take it to the register. I assume when they got my card they took a pic of the front and back, and then went online and ordered about $2k in merchandise.
Are you trying to tell me *they* can not do the same thing with a credit card ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
The other problem with a debit card is you are leaving the 2% cash back on the table. Some cards are even higher than 2% for certain transactions.
Can you eleborate on that which bank does that ?

I have an App on my phone which is protected by my finger print.
I just tap the icon, swipe my finger and a few seconds later I can see my balance.
I have never seen 2% cashback deducted. I have never paid for drawing cash from an ATM that is owned by the back which *owns* my Debit card.
Any other ATM, yeah, they charge me for drawing cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A Debit card is connected to a checking account which basically gives it a daily limit.
I assume, by *daily limit*, you mean the amount I have left, in my checking account ?
If yes, then that is exactly why *I* use a debit card and NOT a Credit Card.
This allows (or makes) me to live within my means ... ?
Except for monthly recurring utility expenses and a mortgage, I do not have any credit card depth per se.
No car payments, no credit card minimum payments (I just pay what they say I owe). That credit card payoff each month comes out of my savings account especially kept for that purpose !)

Somebody above mentioned the fact that a debit card is nothing more than a digital check (or something to that idea).
I agree wholeheartedly because I am old enough to remember to painfully write the check while everybody else in line was waiting (im)patiently for you to finish writing it up ... And then you had to do some book keeping (at least I did that on the left side of the check stub ...)

So ... yes, as mentioned above by several posters, I have to use a credit card in certain cases, but otherwise, when I have a choice, it will be my Debit Card !

Last edited by irman; 04-18-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Your checking account being held ransom while being investigated is a much bigger deal than a credit line. Plus credit cards have much, much better consumer protections granted by law which debit cards do not.

Referring to cash back rewards on credit cards.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Don't ever use a debit card at a restaurant where you hand it to your server and let them take it to the register. I did that a few years ago while I was on a trip to Texas, and I assume when they got my card they took a pic of the front and back, and then went online and ordered about $2k in merchandise. It took months for me to get that money back, but if it had been a credit card I could have disputed the charges and had them removed immediately.

I seldom never use my debit card anymore after that incident. Besides, with my Citi card I get two points per dollar spent at restaurants, which adds up fairly quickly... then I use those points to get gifts cards to places a frequently shop.
Not true - its happened to me on a debit card and was removed immediately when I spoke with the bank. And have you had a fake CC charge? Sometimes they are enormous (they don't have a daily limit - its just the credit limit) and it still takes a while to fix - and during that period can affect your credit score whereas the debit card will not.

The hyped protections of credit cards vs debit cards are much talked about but in everyday use the actuality is for the average consumer it doesn't really amount to a pile of beans.

And of course CC offer cashback - because they make so much money charging you interest, forget about "late fees" - many of them even charge an annual fee. Despite the 1 out of 10000 people on here claiming they pay it off in full every month (using it like a charge card). CCs make way more money for corporations than debit cards do - and that money comes from the people who use them.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:27 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I recently got gas at a 7/11 and they put a $100 hold on my debit card. When it still hadn't been removed a few hours later I called them and they told me the reason they do that is to make sure there is enough $$ in your account to pay for the gas since they don't know if I'm putting in $20 or $75. Their delay almost caused me to overdrawn from that account. These days I use my credit card for gas or I go inside because of the people in my area using skimmers on the credit card machines at gas stations.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:37 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It can be done with a driver's license actually. All that is really needed is address and name. Something that skeevy dealers can do if you just hand over a license for a test drive.
So how would this work if two people with the same name live in the same house (father/son)?

You cannot run a credit check without a SS number......

Old 04-18-2017, 04:39 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I recently got gas at a 7/11 and they put a $100 hold on my debit card. When it still hadn't been removed a few hours later I called them and they told me the reason they do that is to make sure there is enough $$ in your account to pay for the gas since they don't know if I'm putting in $20 or $75. Their delay almost caused me to overdrawn from that account. These days I use my credit card for gas or I go inside because of the people in my area using skimmers on the credit card machines at gas stations.
Go in and prepay for a set amount of gas.....problem solved. Buy $30 worth of gas, they hit your debit card for $30 and problem solved.

HINT: Skimmers steal any card info whether debit or credit.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
So how would this work if two people with the same name live in the same house (father/son)?

You cannot run a credit check without a SS number......
https://www.corelogic.com/downloadab...ithout-ssn.pdf
"Misconception #1: You need a driver license and
SSN to run a credit report.
It seems to make sense that: a driver license and SSN should
be used to run a credit report since this documentation
provides the necessary address and identity information to
do so. But while it is easiest to run a report with them, and
they do increase the accuracy of results, the truth is, there are
other ways to run the report. Credit reports can be matched on
name and address, so it is possible in some cases to get credit
information by providing the correct spelling of the applicant’s
first and last name along with address history. "

Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
It's usually a soft pull that is done when they don't have your social security number.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
OP, I worked in car rentals and here's what it looks like from the other side........with a CC, we knew somebody trusted you enough before us to extend you a line of credit. A straight up debit card caused a red flag. Actually , telling us you had a TON of money on it made us more suspicious like you were dealing in illegal means. The thought was ingrained in our heads (why won't someone give this person a line of credit?) Car rental business is about risk. Typically, the rental branch's worst experiences were with cash/ debit card holders. They were the ones who ended up destroying cars, or ended up needed repo's ect.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
yes - lots of skimmers even in my small town. I stopped using my debit card because of that. I couldn't believe that people kept using them even after being taken several times. They also don't like to carry cash. They pay for everything and anything with debit. I even stopped carrying them unless I was getting money from the ATM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive