Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:52 AM

749 posts, read 733,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Love the idea of a truck.
My son had a craigslist ad to offer his services to transport large purchases (not the labor required to load, necessarily)
I'm intrigued! Did that work out for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM

17,282 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
When I lived in VA, some guy bought his kid a new Corvette as a first car and sadly he did kill himself in a single car accident on the way to school one morning. Damned shame and it didn't have to happen.
I went to a very affluent high school. We had multiple Corvettes/IROC-Z's, BMW 3 series, Mustang GT's as kids first cars. One kid had a Greenwood Corvette Conv when GM still didn't make a factory C4 convertible yet, his senior year he got a new Ferrari Testarossa! I don't recall any of the heavy metal stuff getting totaled.

Sadly we had a girl die in the class above us, she was in a used Camry and it was split in half by a guardrail.

Cars can kill people, types of cars usually aren't the issue!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 AM

17,282 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Love the idea of a truck.
My son had a craigslist ad to offer his services to transport large purchases (not the labor required to load, necessarily)
Being Home Depot rents trucks for $19 for 75 minutes I suspect that truck rental idea is not real profitable.

But it was great thinking on your kid's part!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I'm intrigued! Did that work out for him?
He did get some business. It was $1/mi with a $20 minimum. Mileage was measured from a gas station near his home. Did not include labor. That would have been extra. He had another friend available to help if needed. Also in as was errands for senior citizens.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
teens can fit alot of friends in the back of a pickup. just saying.

a small 2 seater manual might work well. None of his friends could borrow it and only 1 friend could ride with him
They don't have seat belt laws in Arkansas?

I remember when I was a kid we could ride in the back of the truck. That has not been the case for years now out here in California anyway.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Definitely manual. If he learns manual, he can drive anything else.
Otherwise, lifted Dodge RAM Big Horn edition gives great visibility.
Sorry, could not stand temptation. He's a teenager. He thinks on steroids and steroids say truck. That's it. Every pal and bud and dude he socializes with say - truck. MACHO MANLY.
Get him manual Civic V-TEC engine.
Hard to find a new truck with a manual transmission. I don't know anyone that makes one anymore. I think with Dodge you can get one if you get the Diesel.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
You're right. Volvos are definitely good cars, and built solidly. But the "safety difference" today is - in my opinion - far less than it was, say, 40 years ago.

I guess that means a lot of other cars are getting safer, which is Great if true! As a nurse I cared for too many mangled bodies.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:09 PM

749 posts, read 733,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I guess that means a lot of other cars are getting safer, which is Great if true! As a nurse I cared for too many mangled bodies.
I believe it is - without question - absolutely true. Newer cars are safer.

Back when Volvo began it's "safe car crusade" I was rocketing around in a 1969 Oldsmobile that had a lap belt (not shoulder strap), no airbags anywhere, no ABS, and no crumple zones. Your only hope for survival was that your car was bigger and heavier than whatever you ran into.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
NO pickups. Choose a used Toyota Camry or Corolla. They are low maintenance, reliable, decent gas mileage, in demand for resale, reasonable regarding car insurance rates.

He may hate it, but hey, it's wheels, right?

Oh, and he pays for the insurance, and you make the rules regarding where & when he can drive.

Make sure he remembers the old saying, "driving is a privilege, not a right".

Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I bought my son an old beater for his 16th birthday, one that didn't need to have collision insurance. I put it in his name, and by doing that the insurance on my cars did not go up, even if my son drove them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Great plan but minors can't own cars (title them until age 18).........

Of course that would be a state law. We're in Wyoming. Besides that, you can't expect me to remember every detail; that was in 1986. Can't remember what I had for dinner tonight either. At the time, it worked, just as my insurance agent suggested. If it wasn't titled in his name (I think it was), then maybe just having it listed as his car with the insurance company was all that was needed.

Oh hell, 18 you say? Both of my kids graduated from high school at age 17, and both of them had brand new cars in their names before graduation. That was in '88 and '91 in Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive