Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:43 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

My dad managed to get $10K off a new 2017 F150, but I believe a lot of that had to do with manufacturer's incentives. I doubt that you'd get that much off a new Mustang
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I'm sorry, the term for this thread is all wrong. You tease us with the idea that you are interested in a Sports car and what the cost for such a first car should be. Then you bring a coupe to the equation and talk about that. The Mustang on its own started the Pony car segment of cars. Sporty yes, but far from a sports car.

What a loss if we are calling the Mustang a Sports car. It is far from that.

Not a bad car by any means. It is an amazing machine, especially for the money. The Mustang performs well above its price point. Lots of value in the car. Still, like many cars, it will drop value when you drive away from the dealer. Just because that may happen don't expect the dealer to drop the price for you. Mustangs sell. Mustangs have no problem leaving the dealer lot.

No One Knows What "Sports Car" Actually Means Anymore

Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Semantics. The general population will classify the Mustang as a sports car. It sure isn't a compact, truck, or luxury car.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

280 posts, read 473,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Little Back story. I am a Ford Mustang guy. I test drove a brand new 2017 GT, fully loaded, last month on my birthday. Loved the car, but the price tag was $45,000. Certainly much more than I'm willing to pay for a brand new car.

That being said, let's say I'm in the hypothetical situation where I'm actually going to sit down and negotiate on buying this car. I know that anything close to $40,000 is way out of my price range, let alone the sticker price at $45,000. What would be a reasonable opening offer on this car? $25,000? $28,000? Or is that just simply ridiculous?

In reality, anything with a sticker price of above $35,000 scares me away, so I probably wouldn't even let it go into the negotiation phase if I didn't think I had enough for a sizeable down payment nor if I thought I could seriously talk them down.

Just curious. Part me thinks at $45,000, it wouldn't be anything for them to offer the car at $40,000, which would maybe make an offer from me of $25k-$28k not so unrealistic, albeit still a pretty sizable chunk off.

So, what do you say?
Sticker on my truck was $42,000 I offered $32,000 and the salesman accepted. 5 miles on the odometer. Three years later I have almost 40,000 miles

Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Semantics. The general population will classify the Mustang as a sports car. It sure isn't a compact, truck, or luxury car.
You mean those that don't know what a sports car is will classify the Mustang as a sports car.

The SCCA has 28 different classes of cars that compete at events.

In the SCCA world the Mustang and the Camaro are considered Sedan class, American Sedan. To be a part of the class the cars have to have a 302 or 305 CID displacement engine that has been balanced and blueprinted, clearly not your off the shelf Mustang.

Production class, as in cars that were designed as true Sports cars include, The Mazda Miatta, MG Midget, Triumph Spitfire, Fiat X19, Alfa Romeo Spyder, Austin Healey Sprite, Lotus Super 7, Toyota MR2 and quite a few others.

Just about every place you check, including most Dictionaries, the term Sports car is set aside for a small, one or two seat car, more than likely has a removable top, is light, nimble, can be fast although they could just as easily be slow.

You can call a Mustang a sports car all you want but it will never make it a sports car anymore than calling a dog a cat.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It really varies. The more options on it, the more flexibility they usually have. The time of year can impact it. Dealer incentives that are not divulged to the public can have an impact.

Right now not very many cars are selling well. SUVs and pickups are still doing pretty well, sedans are doing terrible. Not sure about Mustangs, it would behoove you to find out.

You are not going to get a $42,000 Mustang for $35,000 unless:

1. There are dealer extra tacked on to the price. Locating fees for hard to get cars, dealer installed alarms, tinting, special electronics, upgraded wheels, detailing fees and the like are all negotiable and can be negotiated to zero in most cases. Just tell the dealer you do not want those things. In many cases, I woudl prefer a car that did not have the dealer adds. They are usually heavily marked up (like 1000% sometimes more) and the dealer has already spent the money. If they cannot find someone willing to pay for it, it is lost anyway.

2. There are manufacturer rebates or other incentives (like 0% interest) that can be passed on to you.

3. There are special dealer incentives from the manufacturer like if they sell 100 mustangs by June 1, they get a bonus of $XXXX. If they are close to the bonus number and running out of time, sometimes the dealers will kick in some of their anticipated bonus in order to get the sale.

4. Sometimes if a new model comes out ad the new version is much more desirable. Or they have a left over Mustang in a really ugly color that no one wants and they have no chance of selling it. Even then, they are not likely to be able to come down $10,000. They cannot pay you to buy the car from them, which is what you are effectively looking for. They must pay Ford say 39,000 and you want them to sell you the car for $35,000. Effectively they are paying you $4,000 to take the car off their hands.

What I would do in your shoes is find out what the dealer cost for that car is, then figure a reasonable profit. If you get that number or below, you are getting a good deal.

I have a friend who pays for a service that tells him exactly what the dealer pays for the car he wants. It is not very expensive. He then prepares a flyer listing the exact car he wants, what they pay for it, and a price offer that includes $500 to $1500 profit. The flyer says his offer is not negotiable under any circumstances and he will leave it with five dealers. The first one to call an accept unconditionally, gets the sale. Any other calls will be dismissed. So far that has worked out for him 100% of the time. He does, of course get annoying calls from salesmen offering to come close or to make some other deal that is just as good, or trying to hide added profit through finance or dealer add ons or other charges, and he tells them the only discussion he will have with them is them accepting his offer. Then he hangs up.

I may make a difference that most of his cars cost over $80,000. Or maybe that is worse since they expect bigger profit on a more expensive car. Regardless, he always gets acceptance.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You mean those that don't know what a sports car is will classify the Mustang as a sports car.

The SCCA has 28 different classes of cars that compete at events.

In the SCCA world the Mustang and the Camaro are considered Sedan class, American Sedan. To be a part of the class the cars have to have a 302 or 305 CID displacement engine that has been balanced and blueprinted, clearly not your off the shelf Mustang.

Production class, as in cars that were designed as true Sports cars include, The Mazda Miatta, MG Midget, Triumph Spitfire, Fiat X19, Alfa Romeo Spyder, Austin Healey Sprite, Lotus Super 7, Toyota MR2 and quite a few others.

Just about every place you check, including most Dictionaries, the term Sports car is set aside for a small, one or two seat car, more than likely has a removable top, is light, nimble, can be fast although they could just as easily be slow.

You can call a Mustang a sports car all you want but it will never make it a sports car anymore than calling a dog a cat.
Most people have no idea what the SCCA is.

Just like most people still call it the Sears Tower even though it is technically the Willis Tower now.

I can't imagine the amount of eye roll you get when you spout off about this in person. Is this Cliff Clavin?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Or they have a left over Mustang in a really ugly color that no one wants and they have no chance of selling it.
I didn't have much trouble finding leftovers in just about every color.
And they had big money off. OP didn't really state his level of flexibility on color or equipment.

The other question is whether the OP is willing to go to where the car is.
I guess that depends on how bad he really wants it.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM

159 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Little Back story. I am a Ford Mustang guy. I test drove a brand new 2017 GT, fully loaded, last month on my birthday. Loved the car, but the price tag was $45,000. Certainly much more than I'm willing to pay for a brand new car.

That being said, let's say I'm in the hypothetical situation where I'm actually going to sit down and negotiate on buying this car. I know that anything close to $40,000 is way out of my price range, let alone the sticker price at $45,000. What would be a reasonable opening offer on this car? $25,000? $28,000? Or is that just simply ridiculous?

In reality, anything with a sticker price of above $35,000 scares me away, so I probably wouldn't even let it go into the negotiation phase if I didn't think I had enough for a sizeable down payment nor if I thought I could seriously talk them down.

Just curious. Part me thinks at $45,000, it wouldn't be anything for them to offer the car at $40,000, which would maybe make an offer from me of $25k-$28k not so unrealistic, albeit still a pretty sizable chunk off.

So, what do you say?
Why don't you give these guys a call??

https://www.koonsfordbaltimore.com/n...-anchor-trim-7

Old 04-25-2017, 03:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Miata and Jensen Healey used to dominate this class. Is that still the case? They allow minor modifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive