Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times

Advertisements

We have an intersection that looks like this with one stoplight for it ----> TT The left side going up has a no turn on red. It serves a serious role as the right side when green you make left turns. If someone on left side takes a right on red, they drive right into a clan of vehicles crossing the road making left turns, great chance of a serious accident. Tickets are often given here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:59 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have already addressed that. A bike should never under any circumstances pass a right turning car on the right. That is just dumb. I never allow a bike to do that to me. If I hit a bike while I'm turning right, then the bike is riding on the sidewalk. That is illegal and would be the bike riders fault.
99% of bike lanes aren't set up like that. They continue- on the RIGHT- all the way to the intersection. I can't even think off the top of my head of any intersections with dedicated right turn lanes in my city- I'm sure there are a couple, but they are CERTAINLY not anywhere close to the norm. If a bicyclist pulls up to the intersection on the right, in the bike lane where they belong (or just on the right of the cars if there's no bike lane) and a car hits them because they're only looking to the left to make their right turn.... It's the bicyclist's fault?

And you never "allow" a bike to do that "to you"? How are they doing anything "to you"? That's really scary sounding. You sound like the kind of driver that makes riding a really terrifying experience- I hope you're not

Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
OK thanks. In that case it would be a non issue for me. I always merge into the bike lane before making the turn. I don't allow any bike to pass me on the right, while I'm making a right turn. Unless they are riding on the sidewalk, and that would be illegal. The bike should be on the left side of right tuning cars.
The nice thing about several of the bike lanes here, when approaching a stoplight, the right turn lane goes on the outside with the bike lane going between the right turn lane and the thru traffic. Like this example.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7713...7i13312!8i6656

EDIT: Should have read all the comments first. You did post a graphic depicting this.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Traffic engineers like to put those at the longest red lights to mess with our sanity.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
I have already addressed that. A bike should never under any circumstances pass a right turning car on the right. That is just dumb. I never allow a bike to do that to me. If I hit a bike while I'm turning right, then the bike is riding on the sidewalk. That is illegal and would be the bike riders fault.
It's not that simple. The car on the top right of your illustration had to cross over the bicycle lane to get into the turn lane; that's where the problem occurs.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM

18,734 posts, read 7,606,770 times
When I lived in New Jersey some 40 years ago, you couldn't turn right on a red light EVER. The local heat made a lot of money handing out tickets to out-of-state drivers who pulled up to the light, came to a full stop, looked carefully in all directions, and then pulled out and turned right when the light was still red. That's legal in most states, but not in New Jersey back then. (Are they still that way now?)

No, I haven't the faintest idea why they had such a silly law.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:02 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When I lived in New Jersey some 40 years ago, you couldn't turn right on a red light EVER. The local heat made a lot of money handing out tickets to out-of-state drivers who pulled up to the light, came to a full stop, looked carefully in all directions, and then pulled out and turned right when the light was still red. That's legal in most states, but not in New Jersey back then. (Are they still that way now?)

No, I haven't the faintest idea why they had such a silly law.
40 or so years back, most states had no law to provide for right turn on red. California was the first to pass a law making it legal. Florida passed such a law in the early 70s. I forgot that it was the exception rather than the rule, while in Georgia, once, and got stopped by the local police for running a red light when I made turn right. The fellow asked me what I thought I was doing. I tied to explain that I just forgot, and was used to making turns like that in Florida.

"This ain't Florida, Boy," he said. "you're in Adele, Georgia, now. When you're in Adele, you do as Adelians do. You understand me, Boy?"
I said that I got the message, and I would never do such a thing in Adele, ever again.

Well, Damned if I didn't forget again, when we were on the way back home, and damned if that same cop didn't stop me again. He gave me a rather long and colorful lecture that time, and fined me 25 bucks.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
In my area it is strictly a safety issue. We have some streets that are next to a frontage road, kind of a buffer zone when a busy road is next to a residential area. Between the frontage road and the busy road is normally a planted area with large bushes and trees making it impossible to see any cars coming. Again these intersections the lights have red light arrows and signs saying you can not turn right.

In other areas I have seen them near high rise buildings and it was difficult to see.

I don't see them as a problem but a warning to me.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Quote:
Only big highways tend to have a dedicated right-turn lane like that. Most city areas don't have that on their bike lanes, so they're gonna be riding to the right most of the time when you're making a right turn.

If there is a dedicated bike path, then you are entering their lane when you make that right turn. The idea being that if the bike is already there, then you yield to the bike, because you're on their lane, but if the bike is behind you and you put on your turn signal then the bike will yield since the bike is behind you. I'm not sure about the bike being right beside the car. However if the bike or pedestrian is already on the intersection, then the car yields to the pedestrians and bike, although that may depend on the state.

Also, if a bike is on the sidewalk (which they can do in some places, then the bike has to yield to the car, unless the bike has the walking sign, in which case the pedestrians and bikes (being walked across) can cross.

Last edited by clearlevel; 04-26-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:36 PM

491 posts, read 473,696 times
Imagine if we got electric cars and gas consumptionwasn't an issue wouldn't it be better if we went back to no turn on red. Maybe people might like that. It would be easier to understand. It would be like in New York City. How would this affect your driving experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive