Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 10:51 AM

24,457 posts, read 17,199,589 times

Advertisements

I noticed a spot of oil under my rear differential on my 2002 F150 the other day and given the rust I think the cover itself may have a pin hole leak so it needs to be replaced. I watched a few videos on youtube about changing out the oil in there and I am comfortable with doing the job.

The question that arises is in the video it was suggested that this oil should be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles. I have never heard of doing that with such frequency. Have you?

My truck is 15 years old with 86,000 miles on it. I change the engine oil every 5000 miles but never thought to change out the rear differential oil. How about the front? it is a 4x4.
How about the transmission?

How often do you change out your fluids? Do you follow the owners manual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,906,789 times
2002 Ford F150 4x4, more than likely the rear axle is a T-Lok and yes, you change the front/rear fluid every 30,000 miles or expect rust from the inside of the axle. You're going to be lucky if it's just the cover plate that has issues. You'll need to know that the unit takes a special friction modifier fluid or additive. The modifier is for the T-Lok axle or else it will chatter going around corners where wheel speed is not the same. The modifier is alcohol based and will absorb water out of the air, hence the need for changing the fluid often- to get rid of the water. I see new wheel bearings in your future as well. DO NOT use any other additives with the fluid and modifier or expect rear axle failure. To check to see if it is a T-Lok, there will be a tag bolted to the rear cover plate. You can also get the info at the driver front door tag. The codes are available online and will tell you what the ratio is as well as if it is a traction locking axle. If it is NOT a T-Lok axle, then just change the fluid, no modifier required.

The front axle may or may not be a T-Lok. You'll need to check the code tag that is bolted to it. More than likely it is not a T-Lok. That's a common set up for that year model. If it is an open axle, no T-Lok, all you need is to change the fluid, no modifier. If it is a T-Lok, you'll need to add the modifier or expect major chattering of the front end when you turn/steer. If it is a T-Lok and you don't add the modifier and it doesn't chatter, the front clutches in the T-Lok are toast, kaput, roasted, worthless. That means the front is not pulling in 4x4 like it should.

For that year model truck it called for ATF changes every 35,000 miles. If you've never had it done, I'd have it flushed at your mileage. I would alternate the changes between a flush and dropping the pan to change the fluid. It takes 14qts to do your transmission via a power flush. About 6 dropping the pan. The flush will get you a complete change while the pan will get your screen replaced with the gasket.

Your truck originally came for the factory with Mercon fluid. Mercon was one of the first to be a synthetic fluid. There's little chance of varnish buildup using it. However, Mercon was superseded by Mercon V and is a much better fluid for your transmission. I would use Motorcraft only in it as the after market fluids are a one fits all kinda fluid. If you can't find Motorcraft Mercon V, you should be able to find Valvoline Mercon V which makes the Ford Mercon V for Motorcraft.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 PM

797 posts, read 751,473 times
Change them according to time or miles.
My coolant in my VW is "lifetime"
I'll be changing it at 85-100 k miles. Havnt decided yet. Probably sooner.
Best thing to do is research on how long fluids should last,and go by that. Not manufacturers unless they state to actually change it.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:55 PM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Yeah, I'd check on what Trapper said.
Also, do not forget you have transfer case that definitely needs fluid change. That's 4x4 baby. rear diff, front diff, T-case.
I am surprised it takes that little mileage for changes. My 99 Silverado was 65 000 miles spec for dif oil.
You should have gasket between rear dif cover and dif itself. Likely that's what leaks.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Usually per the manual, or more frequent if I get bored.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Owners manual on our RAV4 calls for rear differential oil "inspection" every 15k/18 months. But only calls for an outright replacement(every 15k) if used for towing.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
There is a Ford sub-forum right here on CityData.

There are also dedicated Ford Truck forums such as this one LINK

Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM

306 posts, read 364,904 times
Whatever the manual calls for.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Oil - 6K
Coolant - With Water Pump Change
Brakes - Only When Circuit is Opened
Power Steering - Only if leaking
Transmission (Manual) 150K
Rear End - 150K
AC - Only When Repairing Leak

Old 04-27-2017, 06:42 PM

421 posts, read 543,737 times
I tend to go by the manual, maybe shorter, especially if "people in the know" on the web think shorter change intervals are called for. It's true, fluids have gotten much better. An xyz calling for 3k oil changes back in the 90's can probably do 5k if not 10k today. But even then I tend to keep an eye on the manual (fluids being cheap and all).

I tend to cut coolant intervals in half, give or take. I don't do a full exchange, since the real thing that needs freshening up is the anti-corrosion inhibitors. By just changing half of the fluid it is now 3/4 new. Good enough for me.

I drive highway so 10k for engine oil on synthetic is probably overkill, but I tend to do that. 5k on my older Camry. Trans oil is 50k or 100k, same for diffs. If I towed or did city I'd cut that in half. Power steering, I'll change some out when I think about it. Brake fluid I try to do at least every 2 years, if not once a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive