U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lift
Two post 9 50.00%
4 post with jacks 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM

10,207 posts, read 14,674,115 times

Advertisements

This thing:

MaxJax Portable 2-Post Lift - Garage Hoist - Vehicle Lift - MaxJax USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Tire shops have scissor lifts outside everywhere.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Sorry I'm like a pest here but it's because I have one and learned one and spent a lot of time researching the.
Garage Journal website has EXTENSIVE discussion on lifts. I'd visit there.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:45 AM

9,093 posts, read 9,540,842 times
I prefer 2 posts.

4 posts are great for garage storage and routine fluid changes, but I find the center small opening is restrictive when trying to remove exhausts or an entire transmission or a front k member.

I do like the ability to store a car on a 4-post up high with suspension loaded, amd gain back usable garage space if you have the height.

I tried to remove an automatic trans from a RWD car on a 4-post and found it difficult.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:26 AM

1,139 posts, read 645,547 times
I have irrational fears of the forces concentrated at the point where a 2 post attaches to the floor. For me the 4 post feels safer.
I like the ease of just driving on the ramps vs getting out, getting on my knees, position the arms, starting the lift, double checking the arms, than finally lifting
Access is better with a 2 post but I'm more often just parking something on it.

The 4 post half way up makes a nice work bench.

I could have had a 2 post almost free but the garage would have had to be 2 feet taller to accommodate it.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:06 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,246,002 times
I have a 2 post and if I were to do it again, I would get another 2 post. 4 posts are nice but they make suspension/wheel work a complete pain in the butt even with optional center jacks and take up a lot more space. Additionally, I have used my two post several times to load/unload heavy objects from truck, trailer beds and the articulating arms make this a breeze. Safety wise... can't really say I have ever had an issue or even a slight scare with my two post; I always let it down on the locks and the arms also lock in position as soon as it lifts a few inches off the ground. 4 post all the way for vehicle storage.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 PM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Thanks guys great points of view from everyone. Everything is still up in the air no decisions made.

The only reason I shy away from two post lifts is I saw too many videos of trucks falling /slipping off. No matter if it's user error or what. I'm also thinking I'm in earthquake country. I can run but I can't lower the lift that fast.

My use will be general maintenance, brakes, oil changes maybe some suspension work. I'm just getting too old to crawl under a truck and my trucks are heavy. Regular jacks are not strong enough. I have 20 ton bottle jacks and stands.

As far as heights anywhere from waist/chest to overhead.

I don't mind two post lifts. That was my first choice

I looked at scissor lift because I liked the flush with the floor idea but it's really limited due to the weight if the vehicles. The reason the lift can't go in the garage is because my trucks are too long fir the garage.

Eventually I'm gonna build a barn/home work shop but that's a few years down the road.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 AM

For what you describe scissor lift would have been OK but with truck adapter. As of the weight, 7000lbs is not enough? What kind of trucks do you have?
If I were you, think about it this way.
So you go through expense and hassle of getting a lift, doing concrete work, electrical, etc.
Just to do over "few years" later? WHY? It will be way cheaper to take car to a shop or even rent a lift, it's $40 an hour, but to build a large shop AND have it built from ground up designed for lift. Why pay twice? And not cheap it is.
Again, best source for lifts is craigslist. Buddy just restored a RAM for me and he bought two Challenegrs off craigslist. Running day long for couple years now.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 AM

7,765 posts, read 1,964,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So I'm getting bids to pour some concrete and redo my driveway. One section on the side of the house is potentially reserved for a lift.

The question is when I have the concrete poured the guy wants to know the weight of the lift and whatever I plan on parking there. Considering my trucks all weigh 8-8500 pounds it may need to be compacted more or poured thicker.

Now my real question is

Two post lift
Or
Four post lift (The 4 post will have the lift jacks option.

So you car guys what's your preference if you could get a lift? I think 4 post is much safer
2 Post is far better. WAY more room. 2 Posts can be every bit as safe as a 4 post. And a 4 post can be more dangerous than a 2 post...

I've seen quick lane kids drop super duties off of the pump jacks of a 4 post before...
I've also seen guys not pay attention at 4 post not lift the lift off the locks completely and one lock catch and tip the truck/car off.

4 Posts are fine if you are going to just change fluids, or do ball joints on a solid front axle truck... They suck to pull transmissions. They really suck when rebuilding differentials...

Rotary makes the best lift in the world in my Opinion...
I hate Mohawks with a passion... They sag. They dont Hold level.

With a 2 post, depending on its weight capacity, you can lift anything and everything safely. If you are not paying attention yes you will lose a vehicle on a 2 post.
Trucks, I always lifted a pickup as far forward on the frame rail on an IFS system. On a solid front axle, grab by the radius arms. Rear swing arm, Pick up the frame if you can, OR the front leaf spring shackle.

Ive Lifted everything from Rangers to Crew Cab Flat Bed F550 Tow trucks with rotary lifts... And would never hesitate to do so.

I absolutely hate 4 post lifts to do real work...
Plus you cant pull the cab off a truck to do head gaskets with a 4 post... Nor can you comfortably yank a transmission out when you are wedged between the flat ramps and the trans jack...
Cant put lift kits in trucks on a 4 post either. Have to lift by the frame rails which if you position the truck properly you can grab the frame rails on a solid front axle very easily. IFS is a breeze. Whether its a Strut or Torsion bar front end...

Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 AM

5,702 posts, read 4,016,083 times
I would love to look at some of these home garages that have the room to have these lifts installed. I don't believe my garage would have the overhead clearance for a lift. But then again, I don't think I could justify having a lift if I was just doing routine oil changes. Would make it a lot easier and fast though! Could also do tire rotations at home as well, which would be really nice.

If I could do my own transmission work, I probably would ditch IT work, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or