U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lift
Two post 9 50.00%
4 post with jacks 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 12:36 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,918,790 times

Advertisements

I have both in shops I manage and the 4 post is a PITA for a lot of work. Take your time and make sure the vehicle is stable on a 10 or 12,000 pound 2 post lift and you will be glad for it every time you need to go under the vehicle. Useful space around the lift is increased, working space overhead, access into the vehicle, all improve with the 2 post lift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 12:46 PM

16,724 posts, read 14,154,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think 4 post is much safer
The safer the better.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
For what you describe scissor lift would have been OK but with truck adapter. As of the weight, 7000lbs is not enough? What kind of trucks do you have?
If I were you, think about it this way.
So you go through expense and hassle of getting a lift, doing concrete work, electrical, etc.
Just to do over "few years" later? WHY? It will be way cheaper to take car to a shop or even rent a lift, it's $40 an hour, but to build a large shop AND have it built from ground up designed for lift. Why pay twice? And not cheap it is.
Again, best source for lifts is craigslist. Buddy just restored a RAM for me and he bought two Challenegrs off craigslist. Running day long for couple years now.

F350 dually 4x weighs 8900
F250 Superduty 4x weighs 7000
F150 probably 4500
My wife's SUV 55-6000

I would kill a 7k pound lift. I don't mind used. But it's nice to buy something like that new not have to deal with dismantling transporting reassembly reinstallation. And have no warranty.

The lift is basically gonna stay where it's at once I decide what I'm doing. If I do this I doubt I'll build a work shop. I have a threee car garage as a work shop
The concrete work is being done simply because my driveway is cracked and the side of the house is dirt. Since I'm doing concrete it's cheaper to do it all now than to do pieces. The lift can be moved once I build the barn (the barn/workshop isn't a for sure but it's not that expensive. That's if I ever build it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
2 Post is far better. WAY more room. 2 Posts can be every bit as safe as a 4 post. And a 4 post can be more dangerous than a 2 post...

I've seen quick lane kids drop super duties off of the pump jacks of a 4 post before...
I've also seen guys not pay attention at 4 post not lift the lift off the locks completely and one lock catch and tip the truck/car off.

4 Posts are fine if you are going to just change fluids, or do ball joints on a solid front axle truck... They suck to pull transmissions. They really suck when rebuilding differentials...

Rotary makes the best lift in the world in my Opinion...
I hate Mohawks with a passion... They sag. They dont Hold level.

With a 2 post, depending on its weight capacity, you can lift anything and everything safely. If you are not paying attention yes you will lose a vehicle on a 2 post.
Trucks, I always lifted a pickup as far forward on the frame rail on an IFS system. On a solid front axle, grab by the radius arms. Rear swing arm, Pick up the frame if you can, OR the front leaf spring shackle.

Ive Lifted everything from Rangers to Crew Cab Flat Bed F550 Tow trucks with rotary lifts... And would never hesitate to do so.

I absolutely hate 4 post lifts to do real work...
Plus you cant pull the cab off a truck to do head gaskets with a 4 post... Nor can you comfortably yank a transmission out when you are wedged between the flat ramps and the trans jack...
Cant put lift kits in trucks on a 4 post either. Have to lift by the frame rails which if you position the truck properly you can grab the frame rails on a solid front axle very easily. IFS is a breeze. Whether its a Strut or Torsion bar front end...
I've used 2 post lifts at friends shops. I think part of the reason I was unhappy is I have heavy trucks and their lifts simply weren't capable of lifting them. you could feel the lift struggling to go up Tire shops tend to use jacks because their lifts cant lift my trucks.
Rotary? I'll have to look them up.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:00 PM

7,765 posts, read 1,964,476 times
Quote:
F350 dually 4x weighs 8900
F250 Superduty 4x weighs 7000
F150 probably 4500
My wife's SUV 55-6000

I would kill a 7k pound lift. I don't mind used. But it's nice to buy something like that new not have to deal with dismantling transporting reassembly reinstallation. And have no warranty.

The lift is basically gonna stay where it's at once I decide what I'm doing. If I do this I doubt I'll build a work shop. I have a threee car garage as a work shop
The concrete work is being done simply because my driveway is cracked and the side of the house is dirt. Since I'm doing concrete it's cheaper to do it all now than to do pieces. The lift can be moved once I build the barn (the barn/workshop isn't a for sure but it's not that expensive. That's if I ever build it

I've used 2 post lifts at friends shops. I think part of the reason I was unhappy is I have heavy trucks and their lifts simply weren't capable of lifting them. you could feel the lift struggling to go up Tire shops tend to use jacks because their lifts cant lift my trucks.
Rotary? I'll have to look them up.
Ford diesel tech for the last 10 years. All of the best shops I worked in, had Rotary lifts. Mine used to Lift LENCO armored trucks that a mohawk would scream trying to lift. We had a contract with the place in pittsfield MA to recondition the trucks and to fix their booboos... Those rotary lifts were the only lifts that could lift those armored up F450/550 trucks headed to iraq/afghanistan.

Could lift F550 dump trucks full of dirt/wood chips.
Could lift F650s too.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 PM

10,207 posts, read 14,674,115 times
Makes sense.
Not sure though you must have lift. I had mine for a strange reason. If I am under car and look up, I get dizzy. Takes about 20 or so minutes. No one knows why.
Just that it's a lot of money for occasional use. I get it, I got it, but....

Old 05-04-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ford diesel tech for the last 10 years. All of the best shops I worked in, had Rotary lifts. Mine used to Lift LENCO armored trucks that a mohawk would scream trying to lift. We had a contract with the place in pittsfield MA to recondition the trucks and to fix their booboos... Those rotary lifts were the only lifts that could lift those armored up F450/550 trucks headed to iraq/afghanistan.

Could lift F550 dump trucks full of dirt/wood chips.
Could lift F650s too.
Too bad you're not local. I'll definitely consider the lifts you're talking about. 10k? I don't plan on getting or working on anything heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Makes sense.
Not sure though you must have lift. I had mine for a strange reason. If I am under car and look up, I get dizzy. Takes about 20 or so minutes. No one knows why.
Just that it's a lot of money for occasional use. I get it, I got it, but....
With three (usually four) personal vehicles it's a little more than occasionally used. And truthfully the money I'll save if I took my trucks in I'll pay for that lift in no time. Been doing my auto work all this time on the ground. Getting too old to constantly get up to grab a tool from under the truck. And crawling under a 8000 pound truck even with jacks and stands and trying to work on them is no fun.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-04-2017 at 11:47 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 04:25 PM

@NY REFUGEE

What do you think of this. A dealer is going out of business and I can pick one up for 1600 plus install. They look damn sturdy.

CL10 Series Two Post Car Lift

Old 05-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
@NY REFUGEE

What do you think of this. A dealer is going out of business and I can pick one up for 1600 plus install. They look damn sturdy.

CL10 Series Two Post Car Lift
Theyre eh... The swing arm locks are something you want to pay attention to closely. Is the lift still up?

Had a quick lane kid put an F150 up and the swing arm kicked out. There is like what appears to be a Threaded Rod with a red ball or blue ball depending on the color of the lift, that you Pull Up to unlock the swing arm. Either the kid didnt catch the lock or the lock was broken to begin with. Either way, the swing arm kicked out and the truck came crashing down. Flattened his tool cart. The car shops love challenger asymetrical lifts, and the 8500lb rated 2 posts, they have built in adapters in the ends of the swing arm that flip up. You have to have them opposing each other they engage the frame/pinch welds at an angle. If you have the swing arm adapters facing one way in the front, the rear has to face the opposite way, otherwise the vehicle can move just enough and flop the adapters down and launch the vehicle off the lift.

I have seen the 12 or was it 15k pound challenger lift at a dealer in MA that I almost worked at. The swing arms were smaller but, like the rotary solid and hefty. NOT chintzy like mohawks... The Challenger seemed to struggle putting a 350 dump truck up in the air... Claimed it was a new lift about 6 months old and it would have been my bay... but I wasn't impressed with it...

On the rotary, there is a spline. When that lift goes more than 6 inches up off the ground, that spline slowly falls down the moment it lifts up and locks those arms into place. They don't move. They are stout.

Overkill is what you want with a lift. Not a bargain. Not a 10k lift. A rotary 10k is eh.

That 18k pounder... Will lift anything you want it to. Those swing arms are beyond stout.

Trust me. Its worth every penny and then some. You cant put a price on your life... And you shouldn't trust a second rate lift when you are under a hefty truck...

Whatever you do... Stay away from mohawks. Those ungodly unsafe things ought to be banned from every shop in America... They are absolute garbage! Yeah not only are the swing arms weak, the carriages chit the bed with alot of use... They actually will rock in and out... and creak and crack when going down with a vehicle on the arms. As stated before they don't go up level. They don't lock level.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:18 PM

If its the one with the white 6.4 up in the air, that might be the 12/15k pounder I saw. Has the solid aluminum lift extensions just like the rotary. And if memory serves correct, had the swing arm pivot locks like the rotary. But had the pull cables like the mohawk to release it off of the locks.

The rotary needs air to release the locks, you push a small lever 2 inches long upward THUNK the locks release pull the hydraulic relief lever down and it comes down.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:46 PM

No the lifts are dismantled. I don't mind spending the money. I planned on a new lift. I just thought if I can get a deal on a used one it would be ok too. But my purchase is based more on safest/best. I budgeted 5k but I can go higher. I just don't know enough about lifts and the sales brochures all say they are the best. I don't want to buy twice as I don't want to deal with it. I'm a buy once cry once kind of buyer.
I was looking up Rotary and came across a Rotary vs Bendpak. Supposedly the 10k Bendpak is the better. That's the article not me stating that

I'm not ever going to buy anything bigger than a F350 crew cab dually (which weighs a crap ton as it is)Would a 12k be enough! Is that as a margin of error or just a bigger is better approach. I can run 220 or whatever is needed for power.

Hey can I pm you on a airbag question for a 00 F350?

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-05-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or