U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which lift
Two post 9 50.00%
4 post with jacks 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2017, 08:23 PM

10,207 posts, read 14,674,115 times

Advertisements

I'd pass. You have very little capacity left to lift your F350. For 9 000 lb I'd be looking into 12 000 capacity.

Btw, I have 5 cars here as I type. Plus my son has 2 and he comes to do maintenance. If I said - occasional, that was based on maintenance and minor repairs on all of them. Unless you have to do oil changes every other month. I had a year I had to do them every 3 weeks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 10:24 PM

7,765 posts, read 1,964,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No the lifts are dismantled. I don't mind spending the money. I planned on a new lift. I just thought if I can get a deal on a used one it would be ok too. But my purchase is based more on safest/best. I budgeted 5k but I can go higher. I just don't know enough about lifts and the sales brochures all say they are the best. I don't want to buy twice as I don't want to deal with it. I'm a buy once cry once kind of buyer.
I was looking up Rotary and came across a Rotary vs Bendpak. Supposedly the 10k Bendpak is the better. That's the article not me stating that

I'm not ever going to buy anything bigger than a F350 crew cab dually (which weighs a crap ton as it is)Would a 12k be enough! Is that as a margin of error or just a bigger is better approach. I can run 220 or whatever is needed for power.

Hey can I pm you on a airbag question for a 00 F350?
The bigger the lift the better. Sometimes when I would get a contractors truck in... They had those utility truck caps on the back The ones that instead of having windows, have tool boxes... Rear of the truck would wind up being loaded pretty hefty.

They do all run 220. Depending on the code you have to abide by you can wire it with GFI plugs from the ceiling or run hard wire in conduit.

Can either PM or post it here If the air bag light is on, but the light is off for the passenger side air bag, You need the new pass air bag switch. Theyre easy to swap out. Thats usually every other truck from 00-current that has an air bag light on... that switch has the light in it, when it burns out, it opens the circuit for it... If thats the code you pulled. Typically thats what threw air bag lights... I have seen the crash sensors go bad too.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:24 PM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
@ Ny_refugee

Ok looks like it's gonna be a rotary lift. I'm thinking 15,000 pound. I just think 10k is just not enough It's going to lift anything I have. My truck has a skirted flat bed but it's a hauler bed not a contractor body. It weights about 9000 pounds.

The question I have is should I go Asymmetrical or Symmetrical. I'm limited to 13 foot wide location. I can choose a new location but it's on the back side of the property and further away. I was hoping to keep it all next to the garage as that was going to be my work shop.
Do they have a narrow option. I'm calling a rep on Monday. My project starts in a week

Old 06-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
@ Ny_refugee

Ok looks like it's gonna be a rotary lift. I'm thinking 15,000 pound. I just think 10k is just not enough It's going to lift anything I have. My truck has a skirted flat bed but it's a hauler bed not a contractor body. It weights about 9000 pounds.

The question I have is should I go Asymmetrical or Symmetrical. I'm limited to 13 foot wide location. I can choose a new location but it's on the back side of the property and further away. I was hoping to keep it all next to the garage as that was going to be my work shop.
Do they have a narrow option. I'm calling a rep on Monday. My project starts in a week
Symmetrical. Never ever asymmetrical they aren't as balanced. For a fwd car fine. For a pickup no way. Teeter totter.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:44 AM

17,231 posts, read 18,648,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Symmetrical. Never ever asymmetrical they aren't as balanced. For a fwd car fine. For a pickup no way. Teeter totter.

Cool man thanks. I decided to go on the back side of the property to give myself room.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Yeah, the asymmetrical has the carriages facing in an odd angle and the lift arms being different lengths make them go up nose high, tail low and they rock like crazy. With equal length arms, it's basic equal displacement and level lifting. You'll love that lift. I made the most money using those lifts. Like I said if you have even a regular cab, you can pull the cabs off easy just by taking the 9/16ths bolts out of the swing arms and pull the swing arm extensions out. You will be able to lift everything from a 250 to a 550 in every wheel base and cab configuration possible. I would never suggest an inferior product to anyone. Rotary lifts are my favorite. Challengers are a cheap knock off. And the best part of all with the rotary is the speed at which they go up and down. Mohawks creep up and FLY down. And don't lift level. And sag. I was never a fan of them.

With a rotary you can lift a 350-550 dump truck with a snow plow on the front and not worry about it if you use the short extension or medium extension, back the pads up til they're about to touch the radius arm and grab on a narrow chassis the frame rails near the shackle or on a wide chassis/pickup grab the shackle and it lifts perfect. Leaf spring front end trucks you can maneuver the extensions to grab the frame too.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

1 posts
I have one of each - The 4 post is most convenient for car storage, under car detailing, most work can be done on this lift. I have a sliding jack on mine so I can jack the car up to remove wheels or support it for pulling rear end etc.

The 4 post is better for changing wheels and tires, and removing bodies.

they both have their + and - , but If I can only have one, it would be the four post.

Plus the foru post does Not have to be permanently mounted in one spot and I have a wheel kit so I can move it if necessary. the two post needs at least four and prefereably six inches of concrete depth to be safe.

Old Today, 04:47 PM

17,011 posts, read 10,449,150 times
Quote:
So I'm getting bids to pour some concrete and redo my driveway. One section on the side of the house is potentially reserved for a lift.

The question is when I have the concrete poured the guy wants to know the weight of the lift and whatever I plan on parking there. Considering my trucks all weigh 8-8500 pounds it may need to be compacted more or poured thicker.

Now my real question is

Two post lift
Or
Four post lift (The 4 post will have the lift jacks option.

So you car guys what's your preference if you could get a lift? I think 4 post is much safer

Don't even think about a two post, go for 4, especially picking up your heavy trucks. What is your life worth ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or