Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

I have relatives with alcohol and drug addictions. Some have had their driver's license pulled for this and for driving under a suspended license. Some of these relatives have made two claims I hope are not true. The first is they can still keep or get a motorcycle license and ride their motorcycle as needed. The other claim is they can cross the state border to live with a friend long enough to get a license in that state before moving back to their home state.

Are their claims true and if so, should there be some form of regulation or law nationwide to prevent this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
I work in the fleet industry and have spent most of my life in the transportation or fleet world and, to my knowledge, motorcycle endorsement is literally that. It is an endorsement on a drivers license and is not offered as a stand alone license in any of the states I have lived or worked in. I believe that statement is false.

If someone crosses a state border to get a license they will need to stay there long enough to provide proof of residency in some fashion. Some states allow this based on a utility bill and/or a piece of mail, others may require an actual lease or legal document. In any case, if they move back across the state line, there are very specific guidelines for how long they can operate until they need to update the record before that is also an infraction. The answer to the question is, there are laws to prevent this behavior but they are controlled by the individual states as the drivers license or identification is generally a state regulated process.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have relatives with alcohol and drug addictions. Some have had their driver's license pulled for this and for driving under a suspended license. Some of these relatives have made two claims I hope are not true. The first is they can still keep or get a motorcycle license and ride their motorcycle as needed. The other claim is they can cross the state border to live with a friend long enough to get a license in that state before moving back to their home state.

Are their claims true and if so, should there be some form of regulation or law nationwide to prevent this?
1. Not true. there is no stand-alone motorcycle license. When a driving license is suspended or revoked, ALL the provisions of that license are suspended or revoked.
2. When the person returns to his/her home state, he/she will have a brief period of time to get a license in that state, often 30 days or less. When he/she applies for that license, the Department of Justice will look for any previous licenses held by that person. If the previous license pops up as suspended or revoked, they will not get a new license. If they are caught driving with the out-of-state license after re-establishing residency in their home state, they will be ticketed.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Another question. Sister-in-law lost her license due to DUI. HoWever, enough time has elapsed that she can get her license if she gets the breathing tube installed on a car. Her car is totaled and she can't afford another car. Could she get a motorcycle of some type and if so, would she still be required to have the tube to start the motorcycle?

Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

None of the claims are true. Every state checks to see if your license is suspended in another state, or even in a foreign country, before they issue you one. You can't get a driver's license anywhere, before you resolve issues with your previous license. That's the way it's been for the last 30 plus years.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
They make those breathing tubes for motorcycles.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
They can try a lawn tractor. That's what the hardcore drunks do around here.
Some of them have gotten on the news because they had 7 DUIs and got another one riding the mower down the street.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:40 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
None of the claims are true. Every state checks to see if your license is suspended in another state, or even in a foreign country, before they issue you one. You can't get a driver's license anywhere, before you resolve issues with your previous license. That's the way it's been for the last 30 plus years.
Actually, the national database was only consolidated after 9/11 (2003 or 2004 I think) and still has some loopholes. The reporting process varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and often it can take a long time for data to make it into the system. Checks may occur, but they are not always effective at screening out the scammers.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:54 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They can try a lawn tractor. That's what the hardcore drunks do around here.
Some of them have gotten on the news because they had 7 DUIs and got another one riding the mower down the street.
Ha! up here they ride backhoes and front end loaders. A little slow but it gets them there LOL

Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
A 49cc scooter would be the best bet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive