Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Few people NEED the exact car they drive. What is NEEDED about a Corvette? People rarely drive what they need...if they have the money to do it, they drive what they WANT.

How is this news? And why do you spend more than one second even thinking about why others drive what they drive?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:53 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Few people NEED the exact car they drive. What is NEEDED about a Corvette? People rarely drive what they need...if they have the money to do it, they drive what they WANT.

How is this news? And why do you spend more than one second even thinking about why others drive what they drive?
My C6 Vette is the only thing that matters in life. I spend hours cleaning it and looking at it. Plus it will take on any comers in a race and new go fast mods start next weekend to add a little more kick, then after that a heads and cam package to give it another 120hp kick. I don't have kids or a wife so my C6 is my kid.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:07 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I don't always get why most trucks now days are crew-cabs, I wonder why not just get an SUV if you're a family man? I have a single cab with an 8' bed which has come in handy so many times. I can fit almost anything in there without tying it down or needing a trailer.
Again... you can't fit 2 dirt bikes or a quad in the cargo area...
Can't put a 500lb engine in the cargo area. You could but you'd wreck a lot of stuff...

Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post

I'd call it modest. That 7700 pounds shrinks by whatever you're carrying in the cab, so if you've got a couple passengers, a tool box full of tools and other odds and ends in the bed, that'll shrink by 1000-2000 pounds. Even if you don't have anything but you in the truck, 7700 pounds isn't much of a camper. So the Colorado is pretty limited as a work/hauling truck or even for a family camper. Compare it to a "real pickup." An F250 will tow about twice that, and an F350 (1-ton) dually will tow up to 32,000 pounds.
7700 pounds... in a truck smaller than a half ton.

That's towing a Cadillac Deville on a dual axle car trailer...

And that's modest? Out of a small truck? That's impressive...

That's comparable to swapping the duramax and Allison or powerstroke and torqshift into a half ton, adding a few leaf springs and larger pads and rotors on a half ton and tow 15-20k...

Old 05-07-2017, 08:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Because a single cab doesn't have much room unless you use the bed for stuff. I've had 4 single cab pickups, and while I liked each of them, I always wished there was a little room behind the seat. So in 2000 I bought a new extended cab F250. MUCH better! I'm (or was) a photographer and normally carry at least $10K worth of camera gear in the truck. Before the extended cab, if there were two of us, that all had to go in the back (or in the 5th wheel camper if we were pulling it).

I opted for the extended cab in 2000 rather than the crew cab because I wanted an 8' box, and I didn't want a pickup THAT long! But that's about the time (2000) when crew cabs started getting really popular. When I get my next pickup, it'll be a crew cab dually. The back seats in an extended cab just aren't big enough for anyone other than kids. My son has a new F150 Titanium that's really nice. (Puts my old 2000 to shame!) His wife drives a new (thinking) 6-series BMW, and he has a new Vette, but they usually prefer the F150 for long trips. My wife and I always drove our F250 on trips. Her little Saturn, which was still pretty new when we bought the F250, has accumulated about 15K miles since 2000. Neither of us would pick it over the truck for long drives -- as long as I was driving. She never did drive the truck, partly because it had the 6-spd manual tranny.

I'd call it modest. That 7700 pounds shrinks by whatever you're carrying in the cab, so if you've got a couple passengers, a tool box full of tools and other odds and ends in the bed, that'll shrink by 1000-2000 pounds. Even if you don't have anything but you in the truck, 7700 pounds isn't much of a camper. So the Colorado is pretty limited as a work/hauling truck or even for a family camper. Compare it to a "real pickup." An F250 will tow about twice that, and an F350 (1-ton) dually will tow up to 32,000 pounds.

Gravel is heavy! I used my old Toyota pickup to get a load of sand many years ago. The guy loading asked me how much I wanted. I told him to start dumping and I'd tell him when to quit. It didn't take much and that thing was dragging! I had to haul it about 4 miles home, and I don't think I went over 20 mph.

You're right that F150s don't typically have a huge payload (but more than nearly any SUV). You can order a "heavy duty half" that'll tow over 8 tons in some configurations, but then you lose that nice car-like ride and those fancy options we all want.

Actually. You can get some big trailers (space wise) because a lot of trailers are now ultralights. They use a lot of aluminum.

Can you show me what 1/2 ton can tow 8 tons? Because that's over my 1 ton diesel GVWR tow rating.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually. You can get some big trailers (space wise) because a lot of trailers are now ultralights. They use a lot of aluminum.

Can you show me what 1/2 ton can tow 8 tons? Because that's over my 1 ton diesel GVWR tow rating.
The 6.2 vortec Maxx with air bags on the rear could tow whatever you put behind it. 3:73s and if you stomped your feet hard enough with the salesman could get 4:11s.
A friend of mine ordered his from Depaulas in Albany with the 4:11s took them 3 months to get the truck in. He added the helper springs (air bags) to the rear. Tows a beaver tail on a pintle hitch and a bobcat skidsteer or bobcat mini excavator. He won't give that truck up for anything. He's launched 4 drive shafts out of it, and had Universal out of Albany make a steel drive shaft and pinion flange with hefty greaseable u joints.

He absolutely loves that truck. If it weren't for the trailer having trailer brakes and the truck having the max trailer package with factory installed trailer brake controller, he would have bought a crew cab 3/4 ton with a duramax.
Runs load range E tires on it too. Had to get 2 sets of wheels replaced the lug holes ovaled out. He went with aftermarket wheels and hasn't had a problem since. I'm surprised the trans hasn't grenaded yet.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
I buy according to my needs/likes. If I like a car and it fits my needs, I'll buy it.

I have absolutely no need for a big truck or pickup therefore I will never consider one even if I like it. Since moving down south I've noticed having a big truck is the "macho" thing to drive amongst some men. I'm in Florida along the gulf and I see ridiculously lifted trucks every single day despite the fact that it never snows here nor do these guys go mudding. So what's the point!?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I buy according to my needs/likes. If I like a car and it fits my needs, I'll buy it.

I have absolutely no need for a big truck or pickup therefore I will never consider one even if I like it. Since moving down south I've noticed having a big truck is the "macho" thing to drive amongst some men. I'm in Florida along the gulf and I see ridiculously lifted trucks every single day despite the fact that it never snows here nor do these guys go mudding. So what's the point!?
I hate lifted red neck trucks. Only like small S10 size trucks.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
We live in a rural area with a rural lifestyle. We have two trucks: 2008 Ford F-250 4x4 and 1999 Tacoma 4x4. Both are extended cab full sized beds. We use both for hauling stuff like lumber, straw, peat moss, scrap metal, etc. The Ford also hauls our slide in pop up truck camper so we can camp off the beaten path. I haven't driven a car since we sold our 1993 BMW 15 years ago.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,337 times
Yeah, I partly made this thread because, actually, I do admire a decked out beautifully built truck that can haul. But I don't need that so I don't have one. I carry a camera around me everywhere, and man, when I see an awesome truck I snap pics of it for my "TRUCK PFORN" collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive