Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:45 PM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,139 times

Advertisements

Sometimes people just need to have that name brand luxury item to hold up their image no matter what.

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with 166,000 miles on it and use a pre-paid cell phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 01:46 PM

5,914 posts, read 6,394,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The same people buying these cars at these types of dealerships probably do not even own a screwdriver to remove the frame.
They probably feel screwed enough! Ok, I'll see myself out now.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Sometimes people just need to have that name brand luxury item to hold up their image no matter what.

I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with 166,000 miles on it and use a pre-paid cell phone.

Aaaand some people need to proclaim loudly how they don't need/want a luxury item, to hold up their image of being cheap no matter what. Different sides of the same coin (that coin being love of money: One is spending it, one is trying to hoard it).

Either side of that coin is a miserable, competitive, place to be.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,632,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Aaaand some people need to proclaim loudly how they don't need/want a luxury item, to hold up their image of being cheap no matter what. Different sides of the same coin (that coin being love of money: One is spending it, one is trying to hoard it).

Yes, indubitably.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

I prefer to have lots of money and no debt then to have lots of debt and no money. Being cheap is not a part of the equation. Being cheap means that you won't spend money when you have it. Being cheap means that you will forgo spending money on needed repairs or keeping a broken window on a car instead of replacing it. Take someone that drives a 2003 Honda. Owning the car does not show how cheap that person is. Owning the car and wearing the tires down or not getting an oil change, or neglecting to maintain the car is being cheap.

One of our sons had been saving for a couple years to buy a car. He kept putting his money in the bank until he had the cash to buy a late model Honda Civic. It is a nice low mileage car that he paid cash for. What he found is that while he had money to go places and spend on trips outside of his money he was saving for his car, several of his friends had purchased high end cars that were costing them all their money to pay the debt on, pay for the insurance, ect. They had nice cars but no money. Our son has a nice car and still has money. Imagine that. He is happier than they are. They are like slaves trying to pay off a debt that they will have in some cases for 72 months.

Being responsible means that you don't go into debt for things that you don't need. Most of us don't need a high end car. Being responsible has nothing to do with being cheap.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I prefer to have lots of money and no debt then to have lots of debt and no money. Being cheap is not a part of the equation. Being cheap means that you won't spend money when you have it. Being cheap means that you will forgo spending money on needed repairs or keeping a broken window on a car instead of replacing it. Take someone that drives a 2003 Honda. Owning the car does not show how cheap that person is. Owning the car and wearing the tires down or not getting an oil change, or neglecting to maintain the car is being cheap.

One of our sons had been saving for a couple years to buy a car. He kept putting his money in the bank until he had the cash to buy a late model Honda Civic. It is a nice low mileage car that he paid cash for. What he found is that while he had money to go places and spend on trips outside of his money he was saving for his car, several of his friends had purchased high end cars that were costing them all their money to pay the debt on, pay for the insurance, ect. They had nice cars but no money. Our son has a nice car and still has money. Imagine that. He is happier than they are. They are like slaves trying to pay off a debt that they will have in some cases for 72 months.

Being responsible means that you don't go into debt for things that you don't need. Most of us don't need a high end car. Being responsible has nothing to do with being cheap.
I think the point is he was pointing out that he was boasting about being frugal which is still sticking his nose up at other people

Old 05-11-2017, 02:35 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,270,991 times
A hair dryer will loosen the stickers so that they will peel off easily.

For the license frames you can buy a screwdriver in the dollar store, but it does not come with directions.

Old 05-11-2017, 03:00 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

AMEN!!!!

Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,784,355 times
I don't think everyone buys high end cars for the snob appeal. The last car I bought was a high mileage Acura because it was the sportiest and most comfortable SUV I had ever driven. I really was expecting to end up with a Highlander before the Acura test drive.

I only buy used from new car dealers or individuals. I learned to do that the hard way. New car dealers have a reputation to protect.

Cars will last 200K miles now easily, buying a car for a third of the original price with 2/3rds of its life left aint a bad deal.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:54 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,046,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The same people buying these cars at these types of dealerships probably do not even own a screwdriver to remove the frame.
This.
I'm thinking they don't know how to take them off and can't spell well enough to use Google to find out.

Or...they don't care what you think.

Me...no free advertising (plate frames or stickers/metal sign), but that's never been an issue with the cars I've gotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive