Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:22 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Prefer? Student debt is creating this situation. College prices are insane thanks to our government making sure everyone can go to college can. Colleges are expanding like crazy and the money is flowing quite well for them, but the cost is young people are debt strapped and not able to be real consumers. This trend is going to continue. Car manufacturers know this and you can now finance a car for much longer terms since young people can't afford much of anything. It is what it is.
If Uber were actually cheaper than car ownership, then everyone would do it. It's not, at least for those who commute by car.

A reasonable car costs ~$150/mo to lease. Maybe $200 all in including insurance; $250 max. A short trip on Uber is $10 or $15 (any shorter than that and you REALLY shouldn't own a car because you live right next to where you need to be). Return trip doubles it- call it $30/day. $30 per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month, and you're spending $600 on uber. And these are very short trips.

Anyone who uses Uber to replace car ownership only does so because they don't need to commute via car every day, otherwise their monthly expense would equal a brand new mid-range Mercedes lease.

Successful young people can afford things just the same as in the past. I'm surrounded by 21/22 year olds coming straight out of college making $60k+ (accounting firms). I also interact frequently with 25 year olds right out of law school making $170k. And then there are i-bankers. Life is a choice; don't complain about a lack of success, as you could have chosen a different path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 12:19 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Prefer? Student debt is creating this situation. College prices ... <blah blah blah> ...since young people can't afford much of anything. It is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
If Uber were actually cheaper than car ownership, then everyone would do it. It's not, at least for those who commute by car.

A reasonable car costs ~$150/mo to lease. Maybe $200 all in including insurance; $250 max. A short trip on Uber is $10 or $15 (any shorter than that and you REALLY shouldn't own a car because you live right next to where you need to be). Return trip doubles it- call it $30/day. $30 per day, 5 days per week, 4 weeks per month, and you're spending $600 on uber.... <blah blah blah> Life is a choice; don't complain about a lack of success, as you could have chosen a different path.
You both dramatize well but seem to be out of touch with reality.

College kids still afford to go out, still afford games, computers, technology, and seem to have a healthy social life. They aren't all broke. For those that are going to school and paying for it, yep, it sucks. Lots of people for lots of generations have dealt with stuff that sucks. College kids (or HS kids) shouldn't really need to be shopping new cars anyway. Go look at the cheapies you can actually afford and work your way up the way the rest of the world has had to do it forever.

Meanwhile - A reasonable car for $150 a month? Not with any kind of mileage and without money down. Example: the new Honda Civic right now at $179 per month (+ tax) requires $2,599 due at signing. With tax on the payment you are looking at a total outlay of ~$260 a month for a 36 month lease with only 12,000 miles per year. Details depend on the tax rate where you are and registration/licensing costs. This does not include insurance, gas, maintenance or any other costs associated with actually driving the car.

Life is expensive. Cars a significant part of that expense. As long as Americans retain our love for the freedom associated with an automobile based society, manufacturers will continue to make money hand over fist as they fulfill our need for independence via the automobile.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:05 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ings/92821554/

Toyota drops 20% and everyone goes gaga. Ford slides 55% and no one peeps a word. Anyone know why? NO ONE CARES ABOUT FORD! lol

Toyota is still a BIG FISH in a small pond.

No.... the reality is that Ford will bounce back from it, so no one is that concerned.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:11 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You do realize that profits are not the same thing as sales, right?

FMC sold over 2.6 million vehicles in the US last year, an increase from 2015, so someone obviously cares. For the record, Toyota sold 2.45 million vehicles in the US in 2016, a decrease from the prior year. So much for your "big fish" theory.

I've never understood blind loyalty to automotive brands (or any brand, for that matter). Leg humping/nut swinging is never a pretty sight.
Yes...Lots of reasons for it, none of them indicate Ford being in trouble, and it really isn't even bad news per se.

Ford recalled 2.6 Million cars. They relaunched their superduty line. They are coming off their best year ever. They are building new plants.

If you look at it they only sold 6% fewer cars. Again, coming off their best year ever, not unexpected.

They still made money.

If you make $1,000,000 in profits one year, and the next year make $500,000 in profits, but build a $500,000K building, you didn't have a worse year.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Actually, there's going to be a bit hit to all new car markets right now, because there's about to be a glut of leased cars on the market in the coming year.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ings/92821554/

Toyota drops 20% and everyone goes gaga. Ford slides 55% and no one peeps a word. Anyone know why? NO ONE CARES ABOUT FORD! lol

Toyota is still a BIG FISH in a small pond.
Actually GM is the big fish!!

Old 05-12-2017, 01:36 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Actually GM is the big fish!!
GM may have been the "big fish" at one point, but that day is gone. They are #3 in the game.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Actually, there's going to be a bit hit to all new car markets right now, because there's about to be a glut of leased cars on the market in the coming year.
I was waiting for that glut of leased cars last year. I waited entire year hoping the use car price would drop as more and more cars came off lease. finally I gave in and purchased a car end of last year. Now apparently the price is dropping and by next year use car price will be at its lowest

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
GM may have been the "big fish" at one point, but that day is gone. They are #3 in the game.
#1 in the United States, #2 in China. Still a pretty big fish.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:04 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I would like to see Chevy go bottom up. Ever since those clowns made those fake "Real People, not actors" commercials where they put a bunch of over-enthusiastic actors in a room and showed them some crappy Chevy's with meaningless awards I was put off by them. I found it insulting to people's intelligence. I would never, ever buy a chevy after that.

See this parody of their phony commercials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSBsq6HBBzw

As for Ford, I like a lot of their cars. The F150 and the Mustang are their crown jewels. Would love the F150 in my driveway.
FWIW, I heard on a local car matchmaker radio show that Ram surpassed Chevy in truck sales for the third time in eight months. Two months in a row, to boot.

Would not mind grabbing an ecodiesel myself. Then again, a Ford dealer close to the 9-7 has a nice '13 STX rc/sb with a 5.0 in it. Don't really need a SCrew and a 5.5' bed and already have a SuperCab...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive