Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,548,356 times

Advertisements

COMPLETE stop at stop sign. I did kinda roll thru stop at a sign yrs ago and was stopped and warned...Never rolled thru again. There are many places where a COMPLETE stop is necessary.

And those Horn Honkers...good grief. folks don't get your pants in the you know what...slow down, everyone in such a hurry to go WHERE....

And STOP your stupid texting in the moving vehicle while driving it. So many accidents now a days.

And all you casually walking in cross walks with heads down texting and whatever you are doing on your ipads...and walking on side walks just about knocking people over since you are not looking up...but doing, you know what.

Those gadgets are like a fungus in your hands.

BTW: I have grown grandkids and socially, good grief they are not there as the fungus is growing and growing.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-14-2017 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:54 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
They probably are just slowing-down to a safe and normal speed to make their maneuver...............but SOMEBODY is getting all antsy, because they are tailgating.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:46 AM

15,183 posts, read 8,763,657 times
Just a thought. Just because somebody in front of you stops and you don't see a reason for it, doesn't mean they don't have a good reason for stopping. Yesterday I was driving on a major road, when suddenly an out of state driver in front of me stopped dead in the middle of the road. At first I thought he was lost and looking for a place to turn. I was tempted to change lanes and pass him on the right, but instead I just stayed in my lane and stopped behind him. Only after about five seconds of looking around trying to figure out what this guy was doing, did I finally see a group of three pedestrians starting to cross from the other side of the road.

I would say that 95% of the time when a driver in front of me stops for no apparent reason when making a turn, it's probably because he sees something that I don't see, pedestrians, bikes, etc.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Just a thought. Just because somebody in front of you stops and you don't see a reason for it, doesn't mean they don't have a good reason for stopping. Yesterday I was driving on a major road, when suddenly an out of state driver in front of me stopped dead in the middle of the road. At first I thought he was lost and looking for a place to turn. I was tempted to change lanes and pass him on the right, but instead I just stayed in my lane and stopped behind him. Only after about five seconds of looking around trying to figure out what this guy was doing, did I finally see a group of three pedestrians starting to cross from the other side of the road.

I would say that 95% of the time when a driver in front of me stops for no apparent reason when making a turn, it's probably because he sees something that I don't see, pedestrians, bikes, etc.
This thread is about the 1%. I think more than 1% stop for ghosts.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,046,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
They probably are just slowing-down to a safe and normal speed to make their maneuver...............but SOMEBODY is getting all antsy, because they are tailgating.
A stop is not a "Safe and normal speed to make their maneuver." You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe turn into a parking lot. You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe turn onto a side street. You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe lane change into a turn lane. THESE are the people the OP is talking about. The people that stop, steer, then turn, holding everybody up behind them.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Stopping before exiting the freeway? I have never seen that in over 40 years of driving. Stopping on a city street to make a right turn, even when there is no stop sign. That happens all the time, and it's irritating as hell. As for shopping center parking lots, I disregard all traffic control devices in parking lots. In parking lots I don't necessarily stop for stop signs, and I may very well stop when not required, just because the situation seems to require it. Most parking lots are designed terribly. Very little traffic engineering goes into designing parking lots. Stop signs are often put up at the whim of the parking lot owners, and for the most part, are not legally enforceable, so I don't take them serious. I don't think most other drivers do either.
It's quite common here in NJ because the exit ramp is short has a lane merge giving the freeway exit the priority but people do full stop at the exit while the other lane has a full Yield sign leading to this courtesy vs courtesy problem.

I'm not advocating people to speed through exits I simply left off the gas and just check the traffic when I exit but I know many people who cannot drive forward and turn their heads they must stop before they can turn their heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
A stop is not a "Safe and normal speed to make their maneuver." You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe turn into a parking lot. You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe turn onto a side street. You don't have to come to a stop to make a safe lane change into a turn lane. THESE are the people the OP is talking about. The people that stop, steer, then turn, holding everybody up behind them.
Yeah, a lot of folks I noticed yesterday on Mother's day caused traffic tie ups because they do full stops before turning into a parking lot or when they are simply turning right they would do a complete stop before turning in which causes traffic behind to slow down especially in neighborhoods with single lane traffic.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Here is the first sentence of the OP:

How many times have you encounter a driver ahead of you make almost a complete stop before turning into a road, entrance, or exiting a freeway?

That would be SLOWING DOWN...............ummmmmmmmmmmm, not stopping!!!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM

758 posts, read 545,196 times
Quote:
Depends. Some parking lot entrances are well-designed in that the curb cut is curved to allow a car to turn directly from the lane into the lot. Others have no curve at all. So, its either roll over the curb to keep the tailgater behind you from losing a gasket, or slow waaaaaay down to make a basically 90 degree square turn into the lot. If cars are exiting the latter is even more likely.

In short--some of the seemingly idiotic behavior is a result of poor road design.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 PM

It's mainly people who drive like morons that get ticked-off, when another driver slows-down to make a maneuver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive