Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,675,331 times

Advertisements

How many times have you encounter a driver ahead of you make almost a complete stop before turning into a road, entrance, or exiting a freeway?

I encounter this a lot on a 50mph limit freeway and cars exiting makes near complete stops at the end of the exit merging into another road has priority for the incoming lane.

Another one is the common Shopping Mall entrance where there are stop signs for cars exiting but cars entering the mall are giving priority and I still see cars making full stops and becomes a game of who stops 1st.

The really dangerous one that I keep seeing is the one that often someone hesitates and stops while looking for direction in the middle of road and not on the shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 09:54 AM

15,418 posts, read 25,788,267 times
All of the time.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,537 posts, read 81,045,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
All of the time.
Yes, ask my wife. I have a habit of yelling "you don't have to stop when turning into a driveway!"

Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,675,331 times
Atleast tell her to signal that she's turning. I hate driving down and forced to slam on the brakes because someone decides to stop then gas and turn. That sure hurts you fuel economy.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:43 PM

15,404 posts, read 9,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How many times have you encounter a driver ahead of you make almost a complete stop before turning into a road, entrance, or exiting a freeway?

I encounter this a lot on a 50mph limit freeway and cars exiting makes near complete stops at the end of the exit merging into another road has priority for the incoming lane.

Another one is the common Shopping Mall entrance where there are stop signs for cars exiting but cars entering the mall are giving priority and I still see cars making full stops and becomes a game of who stops 1st.

The really dangerous one that I keep seeing is the one that often someone hesitates and stops while looking for direction in the middle of road and not on the shoulder.
Stopping before exiting the freeway? I have never seen that in over 40 years of driving. Stopping on a city street to make a right turn, even when there is no stop sign. That happens all the time, and it's irritating as hell. As for shopping center parking lots, I disregard all traffic control devices in parking lots. In parking lots I don't necessarily stop for stop signs, and I may very well stop when not required, just because the situation seems to require it. Most parking lots are designed terribly. Very little traffic engineering goes into designing parking lots. Stop signs are often put up at the whim of the parking lot owners, and for the most part, are not legally enforceable, so I don't take them serious. I don't think most other drivers do either.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,067,874 times
Not stopping at the correct spot at a red light camera in Florida is expensive. If you stop but over the white line, a few days later you will get a 'you owe $158' in the mail surprise. To avoid the fine at a right turn, you have to stop twice.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:49 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,145,393 times
The traffic laws may not be exactly the same for signs at a parking lot and the roads, but all depends on the offense. For example, if you fail to stop and cause an accident, you are liable. Another example: if you run over somebody at a parking lot, you are liable. If you hit somebody at a parking lot and drive away, you are liable. In a lot of places driving under the influence in a parking lot or the road can land you in jail.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-12-2017 at 10:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 11:10 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,671,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The number of people I see just *stopped* in random places is really mind-boggling. Just, *******, stopped. Right in traffic. What do you do when you can't make up your mind? Well, you just stop in the middle of traffic, of course, and let a bunch of people crash into each other.

I honestly saw a woman stop a 7 series BMW on a 20 foot wide paved shoulder, on the I-10, on a curve. Most people with an ounce of encephalographic activity would, you know, move all the way to the right of that paved shoulder and allow themselves a 15 foot safe zone between them, and traffic. Not this genius; she pulled over 1 foot out of the #5 lane, got out of the car, and opened the rear door into 65mph traffic. That should result in an instant license revocation, but in this country she'd probably blame whoever hit her because she has some sort of authority to be standing in a lane of traffic traveling 65mph while looking for something in her back seat.

Two weeks ago I saw a F-250 pickup truck towing a trailer full of landscaping stuff cruising on the I-17. The right front tire was de-laminating and throwing rubber chunks. I was behind it by a few car lengths. The tire was also low on air and smoking. Now, anyone who has ever driven a car that had a tire problem of any kind, has probably noticed. These Einsteins? Naw, they moved left TWO lanes and cruised on at 70mph... until their tire popped. Now in the #1 lane, what did they do when their tire failed? They STOPPED!!! In the left lane. And got rear-ended right in front of me because Tammy Textmessage was busy with her phone stuffed in her face (I saw her cruising before). Fortunately I saw this disaster unfolding and had time to avoid the whole mess. I guess they both got what they deserved, but still, how stupid do you have to be to do this?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:44 PM

797 posts, read 751,316 times
Yea .Takes them poor folk some time to grasp the world around them
Have one of those entrances at our local mall,where entering from the Gateway isnt a stop(obviously so traffic wont be held up and cause accidents)
The intersections of the folk who arent on a roadway do have a stop.
Well those people dont stop,but the ones without a sign do.
My horn gets its use.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,557,622 times
Yes, and the ones that slow to a halt before moving over into the left turn lane. It's not that hard to glide smoothly into the turn lane, I shouldn't have to slam on my brakes if I'm behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive