Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:38 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonspice View Post
Many thanks

He would like to spend $500/$600 or so, we will be chipping in, and advised him to spend a bit more and go for quality and longevity.

Cinnamon
COOPER CS-5.
Made in USA.

I have Cooper CS-5 on both of my cars.
Have driven through snow storms up North and a massive ice storm in the Dallas-FT Worth area.
In the Dallas FT ice storm I viewed local folks just spinning in place on the 8 lane highway. My Cooper tires/car just drove right through.

Get an alignment every time you purchase new tires.
The newer alignment machines are all done by lasers now.

Also, check out Mastercraft tires. Mastercraft tires are made by Cooper in the same facilities as Coopers.
Made in USA.

Under no circumstances purchase tires Made in China. No matter what "good" stories are stated here by those that have tires Made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 06:43 AM

421 posts, read 544,272 times
I like my General RT43's, but I'm a pretty sedate driver. My Camry came with some worn Mastercraft Strategies, and boy was it nice taking them off for a new set of RT43's. Way better ride. Which is important to me as I do lots of highway driving.

I hear good things about the CS5's though.

Right now I'm not a fan of Michelin as I have a set that dry-rotted on me after 3 years. And had a couple of sets on a different Camry that wore quickly. They might be best performance wise but I think they lose on the cost/mile.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Go on the Tire rack website and look at the reviews of tires with that size. The research on there is great. That is what I do. I am a tire nut. I like Michelin and Continentals quite a bit, but it depends on size. I don't mind spending a little more on a really good tire because it rains a lot in my region, so a good rain tire is important for safety. Good luck.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:19 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Looking at Tire Rack, these seem to be the best deal and the ratings are high

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0&autoModClar=

I am sure there are tire shops all over the city that will mount and balance for a good price

Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,724,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Town Fair does excellent alignment in 20 minutes and you get the computer printout.
Its free with 4 tires where I go, with 2 tires its $50.
It's great that you are pushing this Boston company so hard but I am pretty sure the OP's son isnt driving from Houston to Boston based on your recommendation.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:37 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
Just bought some tires on Discount Tire Direct.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do
Michelin Defenders
With a 70 dollar Michelin rebate(has expired since) I ended up paying 103 a tire with 3 year road hazard
Costco would have costed me 505 total including mounting ,balancing and a 5 yr road hazard.
Even if I didn't know anyone to mount them,Costco charges 14 a tire,which still saves me 37 bucks.
You can go that route depending on rebates .
Now as far as tires go.
1.Treadwear-The higher the number,the longer they will last(Mileage warranty as they call it)I purchased Michelin Defenders,with an 840 rating. Replacing tires with a 300 rating. I have had those for 62 k miles btw.
2.Traction rating-AA being best,A second,B third etc etc.
3.Temp rating-Again A being best,C cruddy.

2: Choose the Right Tire - 12 Tire Buying Tips | HowStuffWorks

Last edited by wellshii; 05-14-2017 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 02:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I like my General RT43's, but I'm a pretty sedate driver. My Camry came with some worn Mastercraft Strategies, and boy was it nice taking them off for a new set of RT43's. Way better ride. Which is important to me as I do lots of highway driving.

Right now I'm not a fan of Michelin as I have a set that dry-rotted on me after 3 years. And had a couple of sets on a different Camry that wore quickly. They might be best performance wise but I think they lose on the cost/mile.
Should be eligible for a credit and well worth it.

My neighbor had a minivan they used only on weekends and the tires were 4 years old with 7,000 miles and had age cracks... the entire set was replaced... he only paid for balancing.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:52 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
I live in an area that is graced with a Farm /Tractor tire store. WOW! to their price and installation!
I pay 400$ installed,balanced and removal fee. . Seems farm/Tractor stores are exempt since the farm industry requires low cost to cover their business. they buy wholesale and pass the savings on.
Mine are Hankook, and they seem great on tread wear and traction.

I find Michelin to wear out quicker and Dont get me started on Firestones.

My state has ALOT of roads ...and thus alot of repairs ...so the tires tend to absorb that environment.

Usually if it says good for 75k miles...I might get 49k out of them before replacement.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:32 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
ABSOLUTELY get a 4 wheel alignment when purchasing new tires.
ABSOLUTELY no need to do this unless your alignment was out beforehand.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post

I was just fishing around on TR today. Those Generals and Pirelli P4 get pretty good ratings. Check the spider charts, they bring a nice clarity to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive