Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Like I said, it's not just once or twice. I've been at several clients and conversations started about cars and then going into putting in oil and maintenance. Then I would get feedback from others about not wasting time on figuring that stuff out and let the pros do it when it's really not that difficult to change oil or batteries. One guy told me that is why he leases, he doesn't spend a dime on parts or work, when his lease is up the car goes back never worry tire replacement or type of oil or fluids.

Now I get that from people who prefer appliances. But it's spilling to sports car talk too with people who brag about their Porsches or M3s and have never changed oil in their life. I had shipped an cold air intake to work and left it on my desk and several folks have never seen it before and they drive $75k sports coupes.

Another conversation I spoke about helping out my folks and relatives repair their cars and immediately I was asked whether I can do some car favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Hah, a lease doesn't mean you leave the original oil in there for 36,000 miles

Old 05-16-2017, 08:50 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
I would say that I have a mental eye-roll when I talk to people who complain about how broke they are & don't work on their own vehicles if they need service. I am mainly thinking about things like changing brake pads & a basic tune up (Spark Plugs, Wires) I do most of my own maintenance but I usually have someone else do the big stuff. I don't currently have the infastructure for major repairs. I make pretty good money, but it is still ridiculous to me to pay a shop $80/hr in labor when you can just do it yourself. (I was raised relatively poor) It is also a satisfying feeling when you can make your own repairs.

I am glad I don't live in an HOA neighborhood. They wouldn't have liked it when I had to change the starter on my truck in my front yard a couple of months ago (That's where it stopped & I couldn't move it) I guess everyone can look down on me for that, not that I care.

Or they have a car payment because they can't do the above. oregonwoodsmoke said it best: It should be a budgetary choice, not one based on inability to perform basic maintenance.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Another thing people forget...just bc you don't do it doesn't mean you don't know how.

The value of time must be figured into any activity you do not enjoy, whether it's cleaning a toilet or changing oil.

That's a very important consideration. For most of my adult life I've earned a lot more than a mechanic's hourly rate, so I just figured it was better to stick to what I know best and let the mechanic do what he does best. At some point, you've got to manage your time. There's only so much of it, so you've got to decide how much of it goes to family, work, hobbies, etc.

I certainly don't look down on those who work on their own cars, but some get carried away with working on junkers in their driveway, making the whole neighborhood look like a getto. I had a neighbor kid who did that -- constantly working on his old cars, leaving parts, tires and used oil in his side yard (next to my house). Loved the kid, but I didn't care for his messes -- nor the noise.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 05-16-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
I don't look down on them, I envy them in some ways. My main issue are the ones who deride others on internet forums, who don't do their own work. Implying that it's a character flaw, that needs to be corrected.

It's a common sentiment seen in replies to car repair questions, here and elsewhere.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Hah, a lease doesn't mean you leave the original oil in there for 36,000 miles
Standard maintenance is covered for many cars today for 3-5 years.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What about guys who wear pants every day and have no idea how they were built or how to fix them when problems develop?
My wife handles the clothing repair department.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Standard maintenance is covered for many cars today for 3-5 years.
Is that really across all manufacturers or only a select few. I know Subaru and Kia don't have those as standard

Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I do some work on my trucks. But since I buy new every two years, very little is needed. But on every new truck I install suspension airbags and a airbag compressor to keep the truck level when pulling the trailers. Used to change headlamp bulbs to a whiter bulb and rear taillamp assemblies; however, with my new truck that is not needed since everything is LED from the headlamps to the rear taillamps.

If I had to, I would change the oil, but get a few free with the purchase of a new truck from GM, so why get under to do it when the dealer will do it for free.

However, my neighbors are not adverse to coming over and borrowing some tools and then asking questions and eventually I just go over there and help.
I also got two free oil changes with my new Silverado, but I still refuse to let the dealer touch it. Go to any automotive forum and there are plenty of horror stories about dealers and jiffy lube places screwing up a simple oil change. Go to YouTube and you can find stories about ripping customers off and high pressure upselling. The freebies are free only if you stick with dino. I do my first oil change at 3000 miles, at which time I install a Fumoto oil drain valve and switch over to Mobil 1 oil and filter.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:29 AM

797 posts, read 752,285 times
Good for them!
While they have a car payment for eternity,have to wait hrs on end for a jump(because I doubt they can do that either)
when the battery dies,
I'm here saving my money ,still have enjoyable cars(IMO at least)
and all money from work goes straight into my savings.
I bet these are the same folk who don't cook either because it's easier to order take out.
Seen walking dead? All the zombies,
yea that's them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive