Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,270,991 times

Advertisements

I have Florida plates that are years and decades old. They don't come and get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,032,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Hi to everyone! I sold my car and going to move to my own country for a business deal. I`m gonna get back in 4-5 month. What i have to do with my tag? should i bring them back to DMV (FL) or i can keep it in my home and use it later for another car? someone told me that i should bring them to the Tag Agency (don`t know what is it) and they could keep it for a long time for some money!
Steal a car !

Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,202,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have Florida plates that are years and decades old. They don't come and get you.
Yep, they never come. I had a FL plate hanging in my garage in TN for seven years; might even still be there since I left it when I moved.

I had TN plates in my MI garage, had MI plates in my UT garage, and now in ID, I have UT plates. If I ever move from ID, I will have ID plates hanging in my new garage.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM

17,072 posts, read 11,919,068 times
I've still got my FL Challenger plates from 20 some years ago in my garage. One of the better ones in the collection.

I've never returned any plate from any state.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:16 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,685,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Florida requires you surrender your license plates if you don't immediately transfer them to a new vehicle or move out of state (Out of country would be out of state). After 4 months I doubt very much you would be able to transfer them to a new vehicle. For completely accurate information visit the local DMV and ask them. Failure to properly return the plate may result in your losing your license to drive.

Where the Hell did you get this little bit of misinformation ! Absolutely NOT. I build cars, and have plates from cars I have sold, sitting to use on those new cars. Right now, I am building a Mustang and have a plate from a Crown Vic that I sold 4 years ago, and it is still good and will save me about $200 when I get the Mustang on the road.

In fact, there have been times when I forgot I had some plate sitting around, and when I would go to the Tax Office, they would pull up all the plates I had and tell me which ones were still usable. And these are not dealer plates, but just regular plates.

Nope, your post is 100% wrong. " Failure to turn them in could cost your license ?" You better do more research before you start posting incorrect information, because you sure as Hell don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 AM

15,183 posts, read 8,763,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Florida requires you surrender your license plates if you don't immediately transfer them to a new vehicle or move out of state (Out of country would be out of state). After 4 months I doubt very much you would be able to transfer them to a new vehicle. For completely accurate information visit the local DMV and ask them. Failure to properly return the plate may result in your losing your license to drive.
Link for the information about losing your drivers license?

If you return the plates, the clerk would just them and drop them into a recycling bin.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,685,747 times
Here is the way it works here in Florida. If you buy a new or used car, and go to register it, and DO NOT have another plate to transfer to it, the State hits you with an "Impact Fee".......like I said, about $200. They figure a new car on the road will impact the road maintenance, etc , so you need to cover some of that cost with that fee.

However, IF YOU HAVE pulled a car off the road, and later on, you register another car, you take the plate from that first car and reuse it, hence , no impact fee is assessed. There is no time limit how long you have to register another car, all you need is either the physical plate or in the Tax Collectors computer they can find that you had a plate and it saves you the impact fee.

It has worked this way for me for probably 20 or 30 years, when I sell off one car, I put that plate aside because I know I will have another one some day to transfer that plate to. I didn't mean to get jumpy on the poster who said you can lose your license, etc, but the facts he/she was giving were 100% wrong.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:54 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,768,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here is the way it works here in Florida. If you buy a new or used car, and go to register it, and DO NOT have another plate to transfer to it, the State hits you with an "Impact Fee".......like I said, about $200. They figure a new car on the road will impact the road maintenance, etc , so you need to cover some of that cost with that fee.

However, IF YOU HAVE pulled a car off the road, and later on, you register another car, you take the plate from that first car and reuse it, hence , no impact fee is assessed. There is no time limit how long you have to register another car, all you need is either the physical plate or in the Tax Collectors computer they can find that you had a plate and it saves you the impact fee.

It has worked this way for me for probably 20 or 30 years, when I sell off one car, I put that plate aside because I know I will have another one some day to transfer that plate to. I didn't mean to get jumpy on the poster who said you can lose your license, etc, but the facts he/she was giving were 100% wrong.
And you sir, are 100% correct!

Old 05-19-2017, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
Hi Guys.

Don't know what to do... I sold the car in Craiglist and without noticing the guy left with my plate, which I was not using. Now I'm calling him but he leave in Tampa (like 5 hours away).

To make it even worse. It was a specialty plate ((

I know.. Will I get in trouble?

Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM

6,388 posts, read 6,917,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaflorida View Post
Hi Guys.

Don't know what to do... I sold the car in Craiglist and without noticing the guy left with my plate, which I was not using. Now I'm calling him but he leave in Tampa (like 5 hours away).

To make it even worse. It was a specialty plate ((

I know.. Will I get in trouble?
Call your DMV and ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive