Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 PM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times

Advertisements

I've owned a 2007 Wrangler for the past 9 years and have had no notable problems with it. I follow the maintenance schedule and just got back from a 600-mile round trip drive to Utah. I also have a 2015 Grand Cherokee in my household and we have had no problems with that either. But again, we follow the maintenance schedules for them.

We had a Subaru Outback and it was reliable and also good in the snow, though it was absolutely gutless, not fun to drive, and probably one of my least favorite vehicles that we have ever owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They're still Jeeps. They come with Dana solid front and rear axles and is the only vehicle left with recirculating ball steering. It's also the only convertible SUV left in the world. It's also the only road worthy vehicle with removable doors. It's also the only 4 door convertible of any kind left in the world. It's also the only vehicle left with a fold down windshield. As an added bonus there's a ton of aftermarket support and even OEM parts are relatively inexpensive and they hold their value forever. There really is no competition left for the Jeep.
All those years we had the CJ5, we never put the windshield down (except for when everything came off for the frame-up restoration). And it was a rag top so that came off beginning of summer and went back on in the fall for hunting season. Kept a bikini top tucked under the seat for rain.

When I was looking at Auto Traders thinking of looking for another older CJ (because I was really tired of driving an F250 back and forth to work everyday), my husband reminded me of how horrible that thing had been to drive on the interstate. If the lanes were not perfectly flat it would jump into the worn parts of the pavement during lane changes. It was never confirmed, but we heard from acquaintances that the girlfriend of the guy that bought it from us flipped it taking a curve too fast on Hwy. 285 near Conifer. It had a fully integrated cage by then... Supposedly the chassis ended up as a sand rail down in Arizona.

You make my point, still plenty of Jeep fans out there which is fine by me and I get the attraction... unfortunately some people do get very competitive about defending them. 20+ years of been there, done it all with our Jeep and now have moved on to being more practical.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:41 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I'd look seriously at a used Xterra if you can find one. I'm on my third one, which reflects my opinion of their capability. I've gotten through 18-20" of unplowed snow on my road and numerous mud seasons, and they're a lot easier to live with than a Wrangler due to accessible back seat, more cargo capacity, and slightly better ride and mpg. I'm not knocking Jeeps, but I'm more impressed with the Xterra. Nissan was an idiot for discontinuing them, they've always been very popular in northern New England.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
All those years we had the CJ5, we never put the windshield down (except for when everything came off for the frame-up restoration). And it was a rag top so that came off beginning of summer and went back on in the fall for hunting season. Kept a bikini top tucked under the seat for rain.

When I was looking at Auto Traders thinking of looking for another older CJ (because I was really tired of driving an F250 back and forth to work everyday), my husband reminded me of how horrible that thing had been to drive on the interstate. If the lanes were not perfectly flat it would jump into the worn parts of the pavement during lane changes. It was never confirmed, but we heard from acquaintances that the girlfriend of the guy that bought it from us flipped it taking a curve too fast on Hwy. 285 near Conifer. It had a fully integrated cage by then... Supposedly the chassis ended up as a sand rail down in Arizona.

You make my point, still plenty of Jeep fans out there which is fine by me and I get the attraction... unfortunately some people do get very competitive about defending them. 20+ years of been there, done it all with our Jeep and now have moved on to being more practical.
The old CJs, TJs, and YJ's felt really unstable on the highway to me. The newer JKs and especially the 4 door drive like any other SUV just more fun.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:02 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
They're still Jeeps. They come with Dana solid front and rear axles and is the only vehicle left with recirculating ball steering. It's also the only convertible SUV left in the world. It's also the only road worthy vehicle with removable doors. It's also the only 4 door convertible of any kind left in the world. It's also the only vehicle left with a fold down windshield. As an added bonus there's a ton of aftermarket support and even OEM parts are relatively inexpensive and they hold their value forever. There really is no competition left for the Jeep.
Plus they helped the US win WWII.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Plus they helped the US win WWII.
So did the Sherman tank. But neither are really suited for everyday driving.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUpMf1M508

Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 AM

193 posts, read 183,204 times
The 4 door wranglers seem to hold value very well. Shame you can't get the 4 liter anymore, such a great motor.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraging View Post
The 4 door wranglers seem to hold value very well.
Two co-workers just bought new Wrangler Unlimiteds because buying used saved very little money.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 71 times
Default Jeep Wrangler alternative

If you're considering a Jeep Wrangler alternative, several options offer comparable off-road capabilities and ruggedness. Vehicles like the Toyota 4Runner, Ford Bronco, and Land Rover Defender are worth exploring. Each offers its unique features and strengths, so be sure to test drive a few to find the one that best fits your preferences and needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive