Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

I"ll go first....

I've always had a specific preferences when it comes to the color of car I drive.
First, it was candy apple ready, baby!

Then a friend talked me into getting a white car. I was getting an Acura and she thought it would look so sharp in white. (She had a sporty white Toyota Celica with the pop up head lights.)

I wish I were the kind of person who could tell the dealer "give me a discount on a color you need to get rid of or that's not selling," -- OR "I don't care what color you have. Give me whatever color you'll give me the best price on."

Before I got a white car, believe it or not, I never noticed how many white vehicles there are. I've since learned white is the number one color choice. Who knew?!

I've also loved the look of a clean, sharp black car. I fell in love with a black BMW 318i as a teen. And when I see a sharp looking BMW or Mercedes today -- I'm still in love with that look. Black is sooo hard to keep clean, though. Who knew it was hard to keep looking nice than a white car.

I've had three white cars in a row. Just never went back to the candy apple red. Thought about it though.

Now, as for UGLY colors (in the eye of the beholder, of course....
I remember when I first saw the Hyundai Veloster in that orangy copper color that came out a few years ago. Yuck. And my rental for my current vacation is an ecru or very light tan Fiat 500. When I first saw it I told the rental car guy, "oh my goodness, that's awful." There are some greens that are ugly also. And Iv'e seen some bright yellows that made me wonder what the owner was thinking when they chose that. Blues have always just been -- well, nothing special. Just sort of unimpressive.

Sooo -- as the thread title asks: What's your favorite car color or do you not care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i prefer white or light colored cars. some cars i think look good in green, but i avoid black cars, living in the southwest they are just too hot in the summer.

in the end however, the only color i never want on a car is pink.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:11 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Silver is the best if you aren't crazy about washing cars. The paint doesn't show the dirt and it's practical. I have had many different color cars. The worst was black and then red. Why? Because they need washed on a weekly basis sometimes more.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:22 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I think silver is a great color for Jaguars. I saw a silver jag once and it was sharp looking!

Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Not black, especially in the interior.
Black cars are a pain in butt to keep clean and black leather interiors get too hot.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Black.....my Wifes Maxima is Crimson Black, but is more of a Deep Red that looks awesome. Also had a Silverado 2500HD that was Greystone Metallic......loved that color also

Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Both my truck and my Challenger are red, my wife's car is blue, all 3 metallic with Pearl. I wouldn't buy a white or black car, both are boring and show the dirt, or silver, because it's too common.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My truck is black - not a fan. Always looks dirty.

Hate akk the grey silver black and white cars. I like color and dislike conformity. Black and white are not actually colors and grey is the epitomy of bland.

I will not have a white car Usually bbuy used, if it is white, I move on. White ccars are hard to see. As a kid I decided they are the cars that turn out right in front of you and then go slow while just a silly childhood superstition, it stuck in the ack of my mind, and it seems to be true more often than not, but that is probably becuase white is the most common.

My favoire is burgundy, but I also love bright blue and dark green. Any coloe is fine though, even yellow and some shades of Orange. Purple is great, but seems to scream Kid;s car. I might like a car that is all or mostly class, or at least the tnrie roof. I usually will not consider a car without a mooonroof. Even my convertable has a sunroof (in the hardtop). I realive you sacrifice some handling for a sunroof/convertible. Usually I will live with that

Old 05-26-2017, 06:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
I always say I'm never going to get another black car, but I always do. It's not THAT hard to keep clean:

But I'm partial to a good shade of blue. I've had cars of all sorts of colors (built hot rods and custom cars for years, and bright colors were normal for me), but my favorite cars have always been a blue, like my V8 RX7:

or my Mustang GT:

Second favorite color is a pearlescent yellow orange:

Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,463,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I wish I were the kind of person who could tell the dealer "give me a discount on a color you need to get rid of or that's not selling," -- OR "I don't care what color you have. Give me whatever color you'll give me the best price on."
A local Volvo dealer had a very good advertised lease price on a 2012 Volvo XC60 (SUV) back in early 2013. The deal sounded almost too good to be true, until I saw the color. The color was called "Terrabronze" (as in a combination of Terracotta and Bronze) and it was AWFUL! Suddenly, I realized why they were so eager to get rid of this previous year model (had been on the lot for 1y4 months). It was a very nice car otherwise and they were offering it for $2,500 down and $299/month plus taxes for 36 months. I negotiated the down payment to $0 and the monthly payment to $300 flat (including taxes and fees). $300/month for a $50k car, even in a hideous color, was a good deal to me at the time. It drove like a dream and served its primary purpose very well (being able to transport my then 93-year-old grandmother to/from the doctor and hospital). I would have been fine with keeping it for the full 36 months, but a water delivery truck hit me just shy of the 24-month mark and totaled it. But it was still the ugliest thing I've ever driven.

Quote:
Sooo -- as the thread title asks: What's your favorite car color or do you not care?
My first nine cars (out of 14 total) were Honda/Acura vehicles. Back in the 80s and 90s, Honda was very rigid about color combinations (each exterior color was only available with one specific interior color). For example, my '92 Accord was Taffeta White with dark blue interior, while my sister's '93 Accord was Seattle Silver with Brown-Red (a brownish red, surprise) interior. If you chose Black or Green on the Accord, you had to live with very light beige 'Ivory' interior. Gray, Blue and Burgundy Accords were grey inside.

For years, I had to choose what interior color(s) I could live with before I could even consider my exterior color choices. Thankfully, Honda (and everyone else) have loosened up a bit and offer two or three choices with most exterior colors. The choices are usually Beige, Grey or Black (hardly exciting, but neutral).

I've also made the mistake of buying a 'trendy' color. They usually look great when they're new, but no one thinks about the impact on trade-in value if the color goes out of style. Case in point- I had a '91 Civic Si hatchback in a color called Tahitian Green (teal green). That color was over a few months after I got the car!

I've always loved Blue cars but have only owned one. I'm currently shopping for a 2017 Mazda3 and planning to get a bright blue called "Eternal Blue". It will be that or Mazda's awesome looking "Soul Red". I don't care for gold cars and can't imagine buying one. I also don't like dark-colors (black, navy, dark greens, dark reds). Other than the two colors I mentioned, I would probably consider Silver or Gray. My current 2006 Mazda3 is Titanium Gray, so I'd prefer a change, but I usually do like gray cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive