Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
There are big ramifications if someone screws up an oil change (like forgetting to tighten the drain plug, too little or too much oil). Not letting a $7/hour kid work on my car
The dealer is responsible for anything that happens so I'm not afraid to let the dealer to change the oil on my new cars. I don't know what the fear of a dealership changing the oil on your new car. If you like laying on your back and carrying used motor oil to a disposal site than more power to you. For $45 I'll let the dealer do it also on vehicles you have to remove a shield from under the front end to have access to the oil filter so I let the dealer do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Nice try but you missed one important thing...being mechanically inclined. Not everyone can do auto repairs it's a skill like anything else. Sure their are "easy" tasks like in anyones job but most of the work you need to be mechanically inclined.

Lets use my old 1997 pontiac grand am for example. How would you change the water pump? Most would think just take the serp belt of unbolt some things and unbolt the water pump and done. Nope not on this car not even close. The water pump is driven by the timing chain and has one inch of space to the frame so the bolts can't be removed without dropping half the engine frame/cradle. CV joint and exhaust has to be dropped too. It is a nightmare job without being mechanically inclined. You can have all the tools in the world but if you don't know what you are doing they are useless obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You are so correct and todays cars have so much electronics on them you need specialized equipment to work on them. The days of the shade tree mechanic are fading fast you look inside of the engine bay of todays cars and there is no room for anything.
I have to disagree with this sentiment. Bad design aside, it does not matter if you know how or not, that is what books and videos and the internet are all about. It is really a matter of having the confidence and BASIC KNOWLEDGE to know what you should or shouldn't be doing. For example...
  • don't bear down with all your strength on anything...
  • if it is not coming apart, there must be some fastener you missed...
  • if it is not going back together, there is something in the way you are not seeing.

Cars are indeed much more complicated now, but anyone can wrench on them if they know the basics of what they are doing, are careful, and take their time. Nobody jumps into a car and takes it apart. They usually start by doing a job that should take an hour and doing it in 5 hours. Then they build on those skills and do a slightly more complicated job the next time, and so on and so on. Also most people are fortunate enough to have a friend to help them with the initial jobs.

As for the electronics, they are plug and play - you don't need special tools, you need to be able to disconnect and reconnect connectors. I work on all my cars with the same tools - mechanical tools that I used 40 years ago when I was learning to maintain my Pinto.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:26 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
I like doing my own maintenance. For one, I know what I'm putting in it or on it. I know if shops that use Autozone for their parts. No way in h-e double hockey sticks am I going to put Duralast parts on my truck (However Duralast tools are actually decent tools). OEM first, then NAPA. If I can't get my hands on either of those, I'll research the best part and buy that.

Second, it's cheaper. I can pick up a Motorcraft filter for four bucks and a five quart jug of semi synthetic oil for around twenty dollars. I also install a new bolt seal and I can check for any leaks or what not while I'm down there. I feel more connected to my vehicle, if that makes sense. I do know my limits. I don't have the space to do anything that might take more than a day. I won't dig into transmissions or anything beyond the intake manifold.

The last reason I like to do my own maintenance is that I get to buy tools! It can be an expensive habit. However a quality tool lasts a long time in the DIY world. I consider them an investment. One that can help you save money.

Everyone should know how to do basic maintenance. Even if you don't do it yourself, you'll know enough to tell if a mechanic isn't being honest.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:04 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
The dealer is responsible for anything that happens so I'm not afraid to let the dealer to change the oil on my new cars. I don't know what the fear of a dealership changing the oil on your new car. If you like laying on your back and carrying used motor oil to a disposal site than more power to you. For $45 I'll let the dealer do it also on vehicles you have to remove a shield from under the front end to have access to the oil filter so I let the dealer do it.
It's a trust issue. I don't trust the dealer to as good of a job as myself. I'm retired, so I have the time. And I enjoy working on my vehicles. It's also not a matter of money. I could easily afford to have it done, but I don't see the need to pay someone to that which I can do for myself.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's a trust issue. I don't trust the dealer to as good of a job as myself. I'm retired, so I have the time. And I enjoy working on my vehicles. It's also not a matter of money. I could easily afford to have it done, but I don't see the need to pay someone to that which I can do for myself.
That's great than I'm also retired I use to work on my own cars hell I've had over 50 cars in my lifetime but now I let the dealer do the work that way if anything goes wrong it's on them to fix. Also I know that a dealer will always use OEM parts. And I always buy cars with extended warranties so I know I'm covered never had a problem yet useing them at the dealer and always had a rental if my car had to stay a couple of days. Were I live in Michigan dealers are all over the place so I'm never far from them.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
That's great than I'm also retired I use to work on my own cars hell I've had over 50 cars in my lifetime but now I let the dealer do the work that way if anything goes wrong it's on them to fix. Also I know that a dealer will always use OEM parts. And I always buy cars with extended warranties so I know I'm covered never had a problem yet useing them at the dealer and always had a rental if my car had to stay a couple of days. Were I live in Michigan dealers are all over the place so I'm never far from them.
Don't be so sure about the dealer using OEM parts. I went to the dealer to get a couple of oil filters for my car and they tried to pass off these little white after market filters off on me. When I told them I only use OEM filters they said they use the little white filters on all their oil changes. I told them to get me the OEM filters, which they finally did. I use OEM oil filters on two of my vehicles and a Mobil 1 oil filter on my Silverado.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Don't be so sure about the dealer using OEM parts. I went to the dealer to get a couple of oil filters for my car and they tried to pass off these little white after market filters off on me. When I told them I only use OEM filters they said they use the little white filters on all their oil changes. I told them to get me the OEM filters, which they finally did. I use OEM oil filters on two of my vehicles and a Mobil 1 oil filter on my Silverado.
Like I said if anything happens is their problem everything is in their database so it's on them to R&R what damage they caused. Never had a problem yet but again I have a 2015 lease Sentra, and a 2016 KIA Sorento that we are buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive