Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,894,322 times

Advertisements

These legal technicalities are very state specific so you should rely on somebody who knows the law in the state where you got the ticket.

That being said, your choice can't be between guilty and no contest. There has to be a not guilty option also.

Guilty and no contest mean the same thing, as far as I have ever seen. In my state, if you choose not to fight the ticket, you plead no contest. If you fight it and lose, then you are guilty. Either way, the ticket is on your driving record though there are sometimes extra penalties to being found guilty after fighting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 07:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,077,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
These legal technicalities are very state specific so you should rely on somebody who knows the law in the state where you got the ticket.

That being said, your choice can't be between guilty and no contest. There has to be a not guilty option also.

Guilty and no contest mean the same thing, as far as I have ever seen. In my state, if you choose not to fight the ticket, you plead no contest. If you fight it and lose, then you are guilty. Either way, the ticket is on your driving record though there are sometimes extra penalties to being found guilty after fighting it.
There is always a not guilty plea option but that will require you going to court. He said the guilty or no-contest were the only options on the page to pay the ticket and not have to go to court. Why would there be a Not Guilty option on the ticket payment page?

There is no practical difference between the two options because if you plead No Contest the judge is going to enter a guilty verdict and it will go on your record, which does not denote how you pleaded. The appearance of the violation on your record is prima facie evidence that you were convicted because dismissals and acquittals never appear on your public record.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:07 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,779,688 times
yeah..."guilty" and "no contest" are essentially the same...the only difference I think if it is connected to some other legal matters. In this case this does not appear to be, so you are essentially doing the same as pleading guilty.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,281,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
If this were a DUI or an accident or such, I'd say take the lumps, you earned them.
I've never understood this mindset.

This isn't Denmark, where a collaborative justice system works to rehabilitate and do what it takes to ensure you don't offend again.

This is the USA, where we punish. It is incumbent on you to look out for your best interests, no matter what.

I can guarantee you if you hit someone in a moments inattention you wouldn't say that. You would clam up and go through your insurance company/attorney.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:44 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellshii View Post
Get a traffic attorney,(google the reviews of that attorney)
Explain the situation to the attorney.
I'm a hardcore DIY'er,but when it comes to court,my experience is get an attorney. I once paid 50 bucks (ticket was almost 200)
for ten over (35 on a 25)
Well I never had to make any court appearances, and it got dismissed. Good Luck.
A good attorney charges $300 - $500 per hour. To make it practical to hire an attorney your options are:

Have an attorney spend no more than 15 -30 minutes on your ticket.

Find a really bad attorney who has no idea what they are doing and cannot get work at typical rates.

In either instance, you can do a better job on your own. Take some time to learn the system, even go down to the courthouse and watch and ask people what happened when the met with the prosecutor (over 99% make a deal for a guilty/no contest please in exchange for reduced penalty or no points).

Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,752,267 times
I have to wonder with the OP getting passed into the zone that maybe in his favor, I'm not sure.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:19 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,198,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
By 2 options I meant "guilty" and "no contest". I tried googling, but I don't understand the exact difference between the two.
No contest simply allows the court to immediately move to the penalty phasewithout any more ado.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,859,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A good attorney charges $300 - $500 per hour. To make it practical to hire an attorney your options are:

Have an attorney spend no more than 15 -30 minutes on your ticket.

Find a really bad attorney who has no idea what they are doing and cannot get work at typical rates.

In either instance, you can do a better job on your own. Take some time to learn the system, even go down to the courthouse and watch and ask people what happened when the met with the prosecutor (over 99% make a deal for a guilty/no contest please in exchange for reduced penalty or no points).
The attorney I used in New York charged a $500 flat fee, no result (i.e. reduction of ticket), no fee.

In my case, he got a result. The ticket which was 82 in a 65 zone was reduced to a moving violation, which meant a lower fine, no points, no impact on my insurance. It was worth the money.

As I don't live in New York and was just passing through, doing it on my own was not a good option. So I did my due diligence (i.e. looking at reviews, client references/comments, etc.) and was happy with my choice of attorney.

When it comes to most traffic violations, it is a bit of a game and a bit of a scam with cities making money out of fines and fees and the insurance companies piling on. The system relies on people pleading guilty and paying their money. The attorney told me straight out that he would plead it down. In his words, the city gets their money, he gets his fee and I get no points, lower fine and no insurance impact. Courts are so backed up that they are more than ready to take a plea to get the case out of the system.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,198,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The attorney I used in New York charged a $500 flat fee, no result (i.e. reduction of ticket), no fee.

In my case, he got a result. The ticket which was 82 in a 65 zone was reduced to a moving violation, which meant a lower fine, no points, no impact on my insurance. It was worth the money.

As I don't live in New York and was just passing through, doing it on my own was not a good option. So I did my due diligence (i.e. looking at reviews, client references/comments, etc.) and was happy with my choice of attorney.

When it comes to most traffic violations, it is a bit of a game and a bit of a scam with cities making money out of fines and fees and the insurance companies piling on. The system relies on people pleading guilty and paying their money. The attorney told me straight out that he would plead it down. In his words, the city gets their money, he gets his fee and I get no points, lower fine and no insurance impact. Courts are so backed up that they are more than ready to take a plea to get the case out of the system.
A speed limit of 65 probably means the NYS Thruway. No one goes just 65 there. While speed matters in case of an emergency for the municipalities it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 8,823,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I have to wonder with the OP getting passed into the zone that maybe in his favor, I'm not sure.
Why? It doesn't change the fact that the OP was speeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive