Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 06:18 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Very true. Gasses escape. Even if it's one molecule at a time. But AC systems take years to fail. A simple recharge can from AutoZone usually does the trick. If not more costly repairs are needed.
All well and good except that with that procedure you are going on blind faith that the recharge amount is correct. Only the low side pressure is measured which is subject to numerous variables. To avoid likely over or under charge the system should be evacuated and the refilled by weight to factory spec. At my shop we regularly evacuate and recharge systems that were improperly filled with the "Tap-A-Can" method. Sometimes this method gets the charge ih the ballpark, sometimes not even close!

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 11:39 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
In the old days R12 showed you the leak, a bit of oil seeping at the source. Current R134a not so much. Belts are much harder to do a visual check today and belt tension is harder to do, usually requiring a slightly elaborate tool in a lot of cases. Gauges are different now, no danger of connecting the gauge lines backwards and risking blowing up a can in your hand or face. Pressures are slightly different though. Hand testing the cold or hotspots in metal lines, aw shucks, that's easy.

Now, everybody can do that right? And make a professional judgement regarding any of these issues / checks, right?

Those who can, will. Those who can't will pay to have it done. Finding the right service provider is much harder though. It's hard to trust someone you don't know with hard earned money. I get it. Finding the right guy or shop is 95% of it. There are though 'City Garage' franchise's around that are known for being straight shooters. I've always done my own work in EVERY aspect of my vehicles, but today's vehicles are now beginning exceeding my expertise (somewhat).

To each his own. It is sad that those guys that rip off people get more ink (talk) than the honest ones.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:34 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
The biggest error is not maintaining the ac to begin with, like cleaning the leaves and gutter, cleaning out the heater core, cleaning out the ac line. There should be yearly scheduled task that need to be done. But why not a dummies section in the owners manual?

And does the dealer perfom these services with a hvac check?

Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
All well and good except that with that procedure you are going on blind faith that the recharge amount is correct. Only the low side pressure is measured which is subject to numerous variables. To avoid likely over or under charge the system should be evacuated and the refilled by weight to factory spec. At my shop we regularly evacuate and recharge systems that were improperly filled with the "Tap-A-Can" method. Sometimes this method gets the charge ih the ballpark, sometimes not even close!

Don in Austin
exactly right. the "gauges" on those fill it yourself cans in the parts stores are not exactly accurate. they are at best a ball park measurement.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Very true. Gasses escape. Even if it's one molecule at a time. But AC systems take years to fail. A simple recharge can from AutoZone usually does the trick. If not more costly repairs are needed.

Yes, you are right.

The point I was trying to make is, every time a sealed-systems leaks-out whatever is contained in it, it does not necessarily means you have to go all gonzo in repairing the thingy-in question. As long as the loss is not excessive and other problems are not being caused by a small amount of leakage......just refill the darn thingy.

My 12 year old air-conditioner needs to be recharged a little bit..............OH NO, trash-it or call the
repair dude, SMFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive