Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:47 AM

17,499 posts, read 17,380,225 times

Advertisements

Just came from the dealership for the free oil change (free for as long as you own the new car purchase) and they did a software update to the head unit. This caused the head unit to loose all my radio station presets and my Bluetooth connection to my phone.

Couldn't factory and aftermarket head units store radio station presets in a section of memory that won't be wiped clean by a battery disconnection or software update? Televisions don't loose the station presets when the power goes out nor when there's a software update so why does this still happen with car head units? My factory unit has 12 FM presets and 6 AM presets and yes they were all set. Spent the last several minutes sitting in my car restoring those presets (since I won't try that while driving) after arriving home. Also had to reconnect my phone's Bluetooth to the head unit. I'm ok with that part since it's so easy, but reprogramming the presets is more difficult since I only have certain station numbers memorized. Had to go looking for those other stations.

I'm no electronic engineer, but couldn't this be an easy problem to fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:50 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,720,414 times
Write them down so next time you don't have to guess. That's the easiest fix I can think of.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 AM

712 posts, read 834,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Just came from the dealership for the free oil change (free for as long as you own the new car purchase) and they did a software update to the head unit. This caused the head unit to loose all my radio station presets and my Bluetooth connection to my phone.

Couldn't factory and aftermarket head units store radio station presets in a section of memory that won't be wiped clean by a battery disconnection or software update? Televisions don't loose the station presets when the power goes out nor when there's a software update so why does this still happen with car head units? My factory unit has 12 FM presets and 6 AM presets and yes they were all set. Spent the last several minutes sitting in my car restoring those presets (since I won't try that while driving) after arriving home. Also had to reconnect my phone's Bluetooth to the head unit. I'm ok with that part since it's so easy, but reprogramming the presets is more difficult since I only have certain station numbers memorized. Had to go looking for those other stations.

solved DECADES ago - $10 on amazon .... https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...XRF65M7704VJWQ

Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
solved DECADES ago - $10 on amazon .... https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...XRF65M7704VJWQ
Not the solution, more like a bandaid.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM

28,575 posts, read 18,614,411 times
There's no good reason why that isn't the case with modern systems. I'll bet they have people who've even thought of tucking system parameters into a bit of memory--or even make it downloadable into a flash drive...except that it would cost a few bucks to implement and it can't be said to increase sales.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,945,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Not an easy problem to fix with your existing radio, but an easy issue to resolve in a future version of the radio. I also think this is the problem with an engineer mindset. They look at it from an engineer perspective and not so much an end user perspective.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Didn't have this problem with the old pull button and shove it in hard form of radio presets. Sure, you still needed to turn the dial to fine tune the reception, but you were at the area of your station when you pressed that button.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,581,668 times
Unfortunately, Victim . . . another example of PROGRESS.

From what I have learned, all "new and improved" Vehicle Sound Systems require full time power or else . . .

Power drains such as this are probably why batteries croak after the vehicle sits idle for more than a few days.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:40 AM

9,129 posts, read 14,690,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Honestly, if they loaded a new firmware on the unit, it's possible the presets would be lost no matter what. Going to depend on the way the radio is made and the procedure for loading FW.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:52 AM

17,173 posts, read 12,024,115 times
Now that I think about it my newest car, Kia Forte5, has a built in hard drive for saving songs internally. And when I disconnect the battery it does not lose fm or sat presets or bluetooth or other settings. So it must be writing those values to the hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive