Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
So you think a fake video of a little girl pretending to change an oil filter proves a point? I hope you don't think that is real, because if you do, you have obviously never really changed your oil.

Reasons not to change your own oil. First you need to have the right tools. Drain plug wrench, oil filter wrench, oil drain pan, ramps or a jack and jack stands. Even the cheapest equipment would cost well over a hundred dollars, just to save a few dollars on each oil change. Half the cost of a professional oil change is the oil, and the oil filter. It would take years of changing your own oil, to recoup the cost of the tools. Second, it's actually a pretty difficult job getting under a car and getting the drain plug out and the oil filter off. A child is not going to do it. Third, it's dirty. Why do you want to get dirty climbing under your car, and get oil all over yourself, just to save a few dollars? I guess if you don't have a job, and your time is worth nothing it might makes some sense.

For most people changing their own oil, just does not make economic sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:56 AM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Yeah I don't think most people watched the vid based on responses.

For me it's a matter of trust not money. Over the years I've had plenty of problems with "professionally" performed oil changes. Doubled up crush washers causing a leak, cap forgotten to be put back on, massively overfilled oil, etc. It's not exactly the highest skilled mechanics that get the oil change jobs.

Also nice here that used oil is a curb side pick up by the recycling truck.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:

For me it's a matter of trust not money. Over the years I've had plenty of problems with "professionally" performed oil changes. Doubled up crush washers causing a leak, cap forgotten to be put back on, massively overfilled oil, etc. It's not exactly the highest skilled mechanics that get the oil change jobs.

In other places, curb side pickup means the storm drain.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The local quick lube place (no, not a national chain) is glad to do it for me, and I am glad to pay them to do it.
That keep[s us both happy!

Too many issues can arise including an inexperienced "technician".
Not to mention what brand and quality of oil filter used.
Most people never check what brand of oil filter used. And oil brands make different quality of oil filters.

I only go to an independent shop where I know the mechanics. And what type of oil filter used.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Too many issues can arise including an inexperienced "technician".
Not to mention what brand and quality of oil filter used.
Most people never check what brand of oil filter used. And oil brands make different quality of oil filters.

I only go to an independent shop where I know the mechanics. And what type of oil filter used.
I tired one of those quick change places - they charge me $80 for an oil change. Indy = $35.

My wife takes her van to quickie places too often. One time over tightened and stripped out the drain plug; another time forgot to put any oil in it at all. I think she finally listented to me and now only goes to Toms Family Auto for oil changes (hopefully).

Old 06-07-2017, 01:39 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
In this town and others close by, there are ordnances against changing your own oil at home, washing your car, waxing it, doing any repairs or installing any equipment. There are plenty of commercial businesses who will do all those things for you, at high prices. The city governments exist for the benefit of businesses and professionals, at the expense of the public.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
In other places, curb side pickup means the storm drain.
Yea and that's a major problem - its toxic to wildlife, waterways and plants. It needs to be disposed of responsibly.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In this town and others close by, there are ordnances against changing your own oil at home, washing your car, waxing it, doing any repairs or installing any equipment. There are plenty of commercial businesses who will do all those things for you, at high prices. The city governments exist for the benefit of businesses and professionals, at the expense of the public.
Ordinance against waxing your car? This place sounds terrible.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:03 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
I can, I have and I don't want to anymore. Kinda like yard work without the restrictions on where to dump the oil

Did I say yard work? I don't do that anymore either

Old 06-07-2017, 03:35 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:

You don't have to be a master mechanic to change the oil some people on here take changing their oil to the extreme, waiting for the last drop �� of oil before putting drain plug back in. On my Kia you have to take off a bottom shield to change the oil I'm not going to remove 8 screws on my back and then try to hold shield up while I'm laying on my back to replace, I take it in to the dealer I have more important things to do with my life than trying to save a few dollars. Hey it's their car they are suspose to know what their cars take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive