U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:30 PM

64 posts, read 45,123 times

Advertisements

Call me a 'luddite' (I prefer 'old school') but when I'm behind the wheel, I take the responsibility of actually paying attention, driving defensively and driving the car!

Seems the hi-tech bells and whistles on most new vehicles.. warning beeps when you stray out of your lane, emergency breaking before you plow into the car in front of you, etc.. make it easier to not pay attention while driving.

Plus don't most of the reliability problems of new vehicles have to do with the fancy features, touch-screens going bad, etc? Over-engineered vehicles, pushed by the marketers, bought by the tech-fascinated public.

Just get me from point a to point b safely, with a car that starts when I need it to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 PM

12,250 posts, read 8,193,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
Call me a 'luddite' (I prefer 'old school') but when I'm behind the wheel, I take the responsibility of actually paying attention, driving defensively and driving the car!

Seems the hi-tech bells and whistles on most new vehicles.. warning beeps when you stray out of your lane, emergency breaking before you plow into the car in front of you, etc.. make it easier to not pay attention while driving.

Plus don't most of the reliability problems of new vehicles have to do with the fancy features, touch-screens going bad, etc? Over-engineered vehicles, pushed by the marketers, bought by the tech-fascinated public.

Just get me from point a to point b safely, with a car that starts when I need it to!

Odds are this thread won't go very far other then to argue my point. I agree with you all this high tech stuff is a bit over the top. I don't understand the idea of a car parking itself unless your just too lazy or too dumb, either case you don't need to be driving. I get it IF you can't turn your head/neck around but even still if it ever went out while driving it could cause a serious accident. To me it's just something to cost you more money to repair.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 2,609,772 times
The new Panamera has a new headlight feature that will read what it's shining on. If it shines on a person, it'll cut the direct beam shining on said person and light up around them so the person is not blinded. How is that a bad thing? Everything evolves for the better.

https://youtu.be/xtxd27jlZ_g

Old 06-12-2017, 11:32 PM

6,239 posts, read 3,356,428 times
Change is scary. But when you stop embracing it your life's journey nears its end.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,515,129 times
When the wind of change blows some build walls others build windmills.

It is absolutely understandable that it is difficult to use all those features when one is not familar or used to. If one is driving cars for like 50 years and then suddenly encounters so many changes, one should slowly try to understand how the systems are working and how they can be useful. No need to use them all at once.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:09 AM

18,201 posts, read 16,568,263 times
I specifically chose a car without the bells and whistles because I didn't think I'd really use or need them and figured they were just something that would break eventually. I got a Kia base Soul, no extras. No touch screen, just the small radio screen. It has a digital display in the dash that records temperature and mileage and at first I missed the old manual mileage meter but that's trivial. Mostly knobs and buttons. No backup camera. No lane change warnings signals. Its been trouble free for three years and I don't worry about energy drain glitches or bugs from gadgets. It has a pretty good radio but I've never used the MP3 player.
I just have the habit of constantly scanning the road, checking the mirrors, watching speed, paying attention to other cars, etc. I just wouldn't want to have to rely on tech to do that for me and possibly zone out.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:21 AM

2,174 posts, read 2,158,569 times
Its one of the reasons for me that makes it tough to buy new. I only want a couple of options but unfortunately in order to get them it seems I have to get all the other ones as well. I suppose I don't have to use them but it really clutters up the interior. They want to reduce the amount of distracted drivers on the road yet they continue to add options for the driver to do everything else while driving. Even with all of these option I don't notice the driving to be any better out there, if anything it enables the drivers to be less skilled. This is one of the reasons that my kids will get a stick shift for there first car as they will have to focus on actually driving the car rather than having the opportunity to text or play with the gadgets which in turn takes there mind off of what they are behind the wheel to do; drive.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 AM

10,099 posts, read 10,677,068 times
I would have thought experience has taught us that drivers have plenty of chances to ignore hazards around them and lapse into forgetfulness even without the modern conveniences.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:02 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,193,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I would have thought experience has taught us that drivers have plenty of chances to ignore hazards around them and lapse into forgetfulness even without the modern conveniences.

Becoming used to have all this tech to keep us safe feels like to me that we're too dumb to keep ourselves safe. A lot of this tech seems to be geared towards the younger generation.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 AM

9,098 posts, read 7,170,939 times
I agree with the OP. That's why the newest vehicle I own is a 2006, and I'm not really happy with it. For instance, the right front turn signal quit working. After a full day of trouble shooting, the tech found that it was the primary computer that had developed a glitch. The computer could not be repaired or re-programmed, it had to be replaced. Time and parts; a little over $800!
If I could afford it, my daily driver would be something like a 1954 Hudson Hornet, with "Twin-H" power, three speed with overdrive, and retrofitted with 4 point safety harnesses and a 12 volt system.
Or perhaps a 1955 Kaiser Manhattan with the supercharger, similarly outfitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive