U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,755,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not happening. Not for just the Corvette, anyway. The expense involved in creating a new dealership network, new branding, etc... would be huge.

Now, they could bundle the Corvette in with a couple other cars and create a new brand, like Hyundai did with Genesis. But Genesis plans to have 6 cars by 2021. You simply can't have a 1 car brand at anything near standard Corvette pricing. The only manufacturers building 1 car are all $1mil and up, like the Bugatti Veyron, etc.

I could see GM creating a supercar, but they wouldn't call it the Corvette. They could also do an ultra luxury car, something that can go toe to toe with a Mercedes S class or even higher, like a Maybach or Bentley. They could do a high end SUV as well, or have an all electric model to compete with Tesla or Porsche's upcoming Mission E. That might be enough for a new brand.
They already have Cadillac, don't need another luxury brand.
Escalades would find buyers at $150K just by adding supercharging and bespoke interiors.
But they need to have four CUVs before they mess with anything else. Having one doesn't cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:46 AM

11,635 posts, read 8,154,978 times
The Corvette has always been the pinnacle of GM's brand so why would they want to change that? The car is a true world class performance machine that is actually affordable for many.
The OP compared the Ford GT to the Vette and there is no comparison. The GT is a niche specialty car and always will be but the Vette is a production car that comes in many models.

If a mid engine is the future of the Vette then it will go there and for many consumers the increased price tag won't make a difference.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 AM

22,505 posts, read 28,416,758 times
I don't think Corvette could be a separate brand because of federal regulations. A car company has to provide an average of so many miles per gallon and they can only have a high performance car because they sell a jillion tiny little economy cars to average out the MPG.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think Corvette could be a separate brand because of federal regulations. A car company has to provide an average of so many miles per gallon and they can only have a high performance car because they sell a jillion tiny little economy cars to average out the MPG.

So how does the Ferrari or Rolls Royce brands get away with it? How many Rolls Royce economy cars do you see? The fact is, even as separate brands, they fall under their parent manufacturing companies, so every Fiat 500 offsets the Ferrari 488 and the MINI Coopers offset the Rolls Royces.

Corvette could be a separate brand and the Sonics and Sparks could still offset it's fuel mileage.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM
46H

962 posts, read 577,215 times
The halo effect of Corvette on Chevy means that they will continue to sell Corvettes at the Chevy store.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,755,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
GM is the company, Corvette is just a car GM makes, like every other Chevrolet.
All the need to do is sell a Volt or Bolt and it's offset.
That's why they can lose money on them... the car or big truck they allow GM to sell generates mega profits.

Also, Corvettes actually get pretty good gas mileage for what they are.
Only the Z06 8-speed automatics are subject to the gas guzzler tax. Easy to solve that problem... just get a manual.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM

3,253 posts, read 1,296,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They already make many different versions of the Corvette.
This is just another one. All they have to do is come up with a name for it.
Those "many different versions" are all variations on the same theme. A front-engine version is NOT the same theme as a mid-engine version. That would be like Porsche calling the Cayman and the Boxster variations of the 911.

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not happening. Not for just the Corvette, anyway. The expense involved in creating a new dealership network, new branding, etc... would be huge.
There's already a massive pre-existing GM network they could tap into, and Corvette is already a well-established name that would require little re-branding. How hard was it for Dodge to spin off the Ram brand using their pre-existing network and Ram's already-existing brand equity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Corvette has always been the pinnacle of GM's brand so why would they want to change that? The car is a true world class performance machine that is actually affordable for many.
The OP compared the Ford GT to the Vette and there is no comparison. The GT is a niche specialty car and always will be but the Vette is a production car that comes in many models.
Well the Corvette is very likely moving up-market whether you like it or not. The whole point of creating a separate brand is so that they could continue to move it up-market with the mid-engine version while still selling and producing the "affordable for many" front-engine version. And it woul still be "the pinnacle of GM's brand" whether it's sold as a Chevy or as a separate brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
If a mid engine is the future of the Vette then it will go there and for many consumers the increased price tag won't make a difference.
But then it would "no longer be affordable to many" which would be the point of keeping the front-engine version alongside the mid-engine version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The halo effect of Corvette on Chevy means that they will continue to sell Corvettes at the Chevy store.
The Camaro could still do that.

Last edited by Bitey; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,037,600 times
GM has been shedding nameplates, not adding them. I don't foresee them spinning Corvette off into its own division, especially when you consider how low-volume the current Corvette is.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:12 PM

32,283 posts, read 26,139,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
So how does the Ferrari or Rolls Royce brands get away with it? How many Rolls Royce economy cars do you see? The fact is, even as separate brands, they fall under their parent manufacturing companies, so every Fiat 500 offsets the Ferrari 488 and the MINI Coopers offset the Rolls Royces.

Corvette could be a separate brand and the Sonics and Sparks could still offset it's fuel mileage.
with rolls royce, they just add the gas guzzler tax to the price of the car, as for ferrarri, they dont sell enough here in the us for the gas guzzler tax to be an issue.

as for the vette, if the next generation vette will be mid engined, then all vettes will be mid engined, even the base models.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:17 PM
46H

962 posts, read 577,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

The Camaro could still do that.
The Camaro is what people can actually buy. The Corvette is what people aspire to buy. A quick google search brought up 12 new 2017 Camaros for sale under $30K and another 12 under $33k within 50 miles of my home. I realize the top end Camaros overlap with the Corvette, but the Camaro is just not a Corvette. I am a big fan of Camaros and I have owned a few. I could never afford a Corvette when I was buying Camaros. It is still in the back of my mind that I would like to someday buy a Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or