U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of jack do you carry in your car?
scissor jack 27 71.05%
bottle jack 1 2.63%
floor/garage jack 4 10.53%
scissor and bottle jack 1 2.63%
bottle and floor/garage jack 0 0%
scissor and floor/garage jack 1 2.63%
all three kinds 0 0%
other 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:35 PM

3,684 posts, read 2,168,786 times

Advertisements

I used the factory jack exactly one time. It had to go in a specific place and I was trying to change a tire in the rain and dark (in November). Must've set the jack on an uneven spot, as I jacked it up, it shifted off it's little place and the car impaled itself on it leaving me completely stranded.

I now have an aftermarket heavy duty scissor jack that fits perfectly under the spare tire.

I have AAA too but agree with the posters above - I use it only when I can't get going myself, which has been 3 times since the mid-1990s (and one of those times I could have prevented, one other was my ex-husbands inattention to details)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 03:49 PM

18,095 posts, read 19,861,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Same here.
In my trucks I wouldn't trust the factory bottle jack. The last time I had a flat it was actually a sudden blow out the guy actually backed up his flat bed under my winch bumper and then lifted the truck to change the tire. I blew a tire and ended up in a center divider on a slant. No freaking jack in the world would be safe.
Considering it was a loaded down dually 4x4 truck you couldn't pay me enough money to be on a downside on a slanted dirt divider trying to change a tire. Screw that.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM

8,774 posts, read 5,606,850 times
OEM Scissor. I used to carry a bottle, or floor jack when I was younger... In all the years I never used them. If I am on the road and the scissor won't do the job, it is time to call for a tow truck.

I'll say this too...

I used to be a person who would just pass by women on the road - figuring they can take care of themselves or that they have a phone. Doing a lot of work on my BMW X5 this year I was reminded how heavy tire/wheel packages are these days. I believe the rears on my X5 are close to 60 pounds each.

Try lifting that into place and holding it with one hand while crouched over and trying to pin the wheel to the hub with a bolt - while at the same time trying to keep your hands and feet clear in case the jack slips or fails. I'm a strong guy and I struggle with it in the best of conditions. So, I am back to stopping for women to see if they need help. For those of you who think this is a sexist statement- "oh well."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 06-19-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,179,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Meh... I value my time and would rather be doing other things than waiting around for a "professional" tire changer to show up.
No, you don't value your time. This is what your values are all about:

Quote:
Macho, macho man
I gotta be a macho man
Macho macho man
I gotta be a macho

Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 PM

154 posts, read 74,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yup. My jack is still in original condition which includes a small tool kit and and a set of gloves that came with the vehicle.
Mine too! Mine came with a factory bag to store the flat tire in so your car doesn't get dirty.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Wonder why the car bumper jack is not on the list?
Because I forgot :-(

I also forgot some cars don't come with jacks or a spare tire these days.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
me too. for 50 bucks a year, you don't need to sweat those inconvenience. I never had to change tires though. only battery replacement. once our rental car was punctured on the way to our hotel in Seattle after climbing Mr Ranier the wrong way, just had to ask the locals where is the nearest tire center and they fixed it for free love those small town kindness don't know if you can still find those in CA
Les Schwab fixes flats for free, even without their coupon. So does PepBoys (if you are a member of their club). So does Costco if you got the tires from them and maybe Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale Club too.

My Hyundai dealer fixed my flat for free under their bumper-to-bumper warranty, but my Toyota dealer refused. Sears charged me $10 to fix a valve-stem leak caused by an automatic car wash track.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Scissor jack. No room for anything else. Would like a floor jack, but in the event of an accident, that's a pretty big potential projectile
I have my floor jack at the bottom a large plastic storage tub with top locked on. On top of it are a few tool kits, air compressors, flares, chocks, etc. The storage tub is wedged in by another tub and jammed behind my seat and spare tire, so it's not going anywhere in an accident unless the accident is so bad, in which case I probably wouldn't survive anyway. So I feel safe

Old 06-19-2017, 06:58 PM

21,344 posts, read 23,981,696 times
You know, life was so much easier when we had bumper jacks. The spare was in the trunk, the jack took a minute to put together, took a few minutes to click it up to the correct height while standing fully erect, took a few minutes to use the star lug wrench to remove the lugs, switch out the tires, spin on the lugs, drop the jack, throw it in the trunk and leave. Now one has to read a manual before attempting to change the tire and while one is reading the manual one has to find where all the parts are to put the jack together, find the lock nut, figure out where the spare is, figure out how to get it out of it's storage location, twist one's body in numerous directions to jack it up which may include crawling under the vehicle to get the spare. Do all the work , take it all apart, put away everything, get yourself together and then drive off. For those of you who say the second part can be done in 15 minutes on the side of the road late at night, I say BS! I'll wait the 30-45 minutes for the tow company to come out, pull out their floor jack, their Pancake Compressor, switch the tires and be done in 10-15 minutes.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM

I have my spare unmounted from under the car and put it behind my seat. I monitor it's air pressure weekly, and have it filled with nitrogen. It was too hard to unlock from the under the car when I last had to change it on a busy interstate. I also have a battery-operated 1/2" drive impact wrench and a four-way wrench too and light-weight plastic chocks. I can change the tire in 15 minutes. I also carry a torque wrench, deep 3/4" socket, and 1.5" extension to torque the nuts to 76 lb. ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or