U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 08:22 AM

22,502 posts, read 28,404,027 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many years it will be before car dealers have to surround their lots with 8 foot tall razor wire.

One of the dealerships here has ongoing vandalism issues. Car windows broken, scratched paint, spray cans of paint and graffiti. All the dealerships have theft issues.

And I am located in a low crime town. The big city dealerships must really have issues.

The tire place that I use, if you want to leave your car overnight, they move it inside. They won't leave a car overnight in the parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,274,501 times
I guess it all depends on the dealership. In my town, the Honda dealer locks up their back lot. The Porsche/Audi dealer is wide open all the time as well as the Mercedes Benz/AMG store. The Kia store locks up it's back lot.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:59 AM

26,412 posts, read 62,641,511 times
Some of the dealers have a separate entrance for the service area which they leave open.

One thing surprised me when we moved to Michigan from California, is the dealers here seem to have no interest in selling cars. They are open 10 - 5 M-F. A few are open until 3 on Saturday, but they are usually ticked off about being there and tell you to come back on a weekday if you arrive Saturday afternoon. You can wander around for an hour before anyone comes and asks you if you are interested in a car. Then you say "I just wanted to look at the XXXX. and they go back into hiding saying to call for them if you decide you want to buy something. They may as well leave the entrances blocked 24-7 for all the effort they put into selling cars.

It was very different in California. Dealers were open all weekend and often late into the night. If you expressed interest they would hound you mercilessly, call you, come to your house. . . . In some instances they got in trouble for stealing people's keys (on dealership in Irvine threw someones keys up on the roof and told them they had just traded in their car - they got sued for wrongful imprisonment).

Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,489,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some of the dealers have a separate entrance for the service area which they leave open.

One thing surprised me when we moved to Michigan from California, is the dealers here seem to have no interest in selling cars. They are open 10 - 5 M-F. A few are open until 3 on Saturday, but they are usually ticked off about being there and tell you to come back on a weekday if you arrive Saturday afternoon. You can wander around for an hour before anyone comes and asks you if you are interested in a car. Then you say "I just wanted to look at the XXXX. and they go back into hiding saying to call for them if you decide you want to buy something. They may as well leave the entrances blocked 24-7 for all the effort they put into selling cars.

It was very different in California. Dealers were open all weekend and often late into the night. If you expressed interest they would hound you mercilessly, call you, come to your house. . . . In some instances they got in trouble for stealing people's keys (on dealership in Irvine threw someones keys up on the roof and told them they had just traded in their car - they got sued for wrongful imprisonment).
Are you talking about used or new car dealerships. New car dealerships usually have very good hours. Used ones are hit and miss. Many with the hours you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or