U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM

68 posts, read 51,741 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I am a Boglehead. Known for being frugal and sensible, conservative in investing, often disdaining luxury purchases, which brings us to a recent thread there that would be of interest here.

Assuming you have the money, retirement taken care of , is it worth splurging for a luxury car (high-end Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Jag, etc).. or saving that money for investing and buying either a new Honda/Toyota or a used luxury vehicle, with all the possible attendant maintenance issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:00 PM

7,898 posts, read 3,147,319 times
If all the necessities are covered buy what you want. You can't take it with you.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM

11,813 posts, read 21,381,718 times
2-3 year old CPO makes the most sense in the higher end models. Takes care of around half the MSRP in depreciation and still leaves you with a nice high end car that looks new.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:50 PM

32,283 posts, read 26,139,669 times
for it depends on why i am buying the car in the first place, but for my daily driver i prefer to be comfortable, thus i drive an 05 grand marquis. you can pick them up for a reasonable amount, mine was $5500 out the door.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,755,302 times
If you've got the money, why not?
Or you can keep the cash so someone else can buy that nice car after you're dead.

P.S.: A CPO may not cost you any more than a "regular" car.
You can get a nice ($60K or even more MSRP) late model CPO luxury car for $30K very easily.
IMO, that's having your cake and eating it too.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,453,932 times
I drive a used luxury beater. 04 volvo V70 AWD wagon.
Original owner paid $46K, I paid $2K.
Car has all the options, leather , power everything, turbo etc etc.
Looks new, with the turbo it goes like shat off a shovel.

I bought a new car once, thats a fools errand.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 PM

1,204 posts, read 3,083,104 times
What's your preference? People put different values to different things. To some, driving around in absolute luxury is extremely important and worth the money. Other people just want an appliance to get them from point A to point B. We can't answer if it's worth it to you.

If you want to talk purely in a financial sense, get a 2-4 Civic or Carolla and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:42 AM

7,898 posts, read 3,147,319 times
What is the overall goal of the luxury vehicle? Prestige, or just a quite ride, performance, the latest gadgets?
The nameplate and a quite ride can be had for a couple thousand dollars. If you want a decent technology and gadgets, you'd want to look at cars within the last 3 years or so.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM

4,794 posts, read 4,896,352 times
I prefer to remain incognito.

I bought a used 2012 Ford Fusion. It's a fine car. It gets me where I want to go.

If I drove a rich guy's car like a Jaguar or Mercedes, somebody might think that they could benefit by assaulting me. I'd rather remain invisible.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:52 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,577,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If I drove a rich guy's car like a Jaguar or Mercedes, somebody might think that they could benefit by assaulting me. I'd rather remain invisible.

I live in Baltimore and have been driving BMWs, Jags, and Range Rovers for a couple decades. No one has assaulted me. Seriously, you need to lay off the paranoia. This is not Argentina, yet.

As a car guy, I can barely understand the OP's question as I'd never go "oh, should I get a luxury car or an economy car?" As I know all the models and good points/bad pints about each one though the years. So I buy what I like not based on whether it's a luxury car or an economy car or an SUV or a sedan. I've never in my life gone "I need a car, what should I get?" For example, Since they were new, I wanted a 740i Sport, and finally I said "let me find the best example I can." But I've got ideas about everything from custom Pintos to Porsches, and if I run across a car I like at a fair price point, and I have the funds, I'd probably buy it. ROI never enters into it. If I could I'd have a warehouse full of interesting cars.

I buy BMWs mostly lately due to the chassis engineering that the badge stands for. I love the feel of the RWD balance, and how well all the parts work together when driving for fun. Like pure race cars, they take more maintenance to keep in tip top shape usually (though I've had to do basically nothing to mine in the 2 years I've owned this example), but it's worth it to get the driving feel, feedback, and responsiveness. And I can't deny the style of the pre-bangle era BMWs. Classic already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive