Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:37 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,864,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
It used to be (>30 years ago), brand loyalty was important, manufacturers made their label and their cars unique, Ford, GM, and Chrysler all had a certain identifiable "look". Now, car identity has been smeared, certain styles and features are pretty common from manufacturer to manufacturer. The problem with Chrysler is that it's been hanging on by a string for over 20 years, are they going to be around if I buy one of their cars? How committed are the new owners, who really only wanted Jeep? Why do they rank low in consumer surveys? They really need a strong CEO with vision to re-build the brand, if they want to survive. Hmmmmmmm, maybe Iacocca 2.0?
This is an extremely misinformed post. I'd say Chrysler has a pretty distinctive look. Don't tell me back in 1975 you could tell the difference between Ford, GM, and Chrysler sedans without looking at the badge. They all had the same boxy shapes with the same 4 square headlights, and park bench bumpers.

I use to hate on Mopar products up until recently. Now 2/3s of my cars are Mopars. Everything from the Hellcat Challengers, to the Wrangler, to the plug in hybrid Pacifica is completely unique that no other brand even has a competitor to. The 8.4" Uconnect infotainment systems are rated the best in the business for about 3 years in a row. Wrangler is always winning 4x4 awards and best resale value awards. Hellcats are winning best drag racing stats. The Pacifica hybrid is the world's only plug in minivan that gets Volt-like mileage and electric range but seats 6 people. It definately isn't a brand hanging on by a string and essentially none of their styles are common with anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Lee Iacocca did not create the K-Cars that allowed Chrysler to continue. The K-Cars were already in the pipeline. Not to mention the federal government backed loans to Chrysler Corporation.

Chrysler always had sporadic quality issues going back to the mid 1950's. All is management and engineering.

Chrysler inherited the AMC Eagle Wagon 4WD/AWD and also the Eagle SX/4 4WD/AWD (former Gremlin)
Chrysler dumped both of these. Then came along Subaru and initially took over this market. Now many others have followed.

Dumb management decisions by Chrysler Management.
Lee Iacocca days were the worst. You can keep the Dodge Intrepid. "Cab-Forward" design...? gag.
Name a car that didn't have "sporadic quality issues" dating back to the 50s that's not named Honda or Toyota.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM

9,670 posts, read 9,938,192 times
One problem I have with Chrysler is that after all these years they still make rust buckets were they will rust after five years in the fenders and rear doors , and the spot welds of the wheel wells and the running boards , and then the ball joints are made of soft steel where they will need replacement after a few years don`t get it

Old 06-27-2017, 05:04 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Lee Iacocca days were the worst. You can keep the Dodge Intrepid. "Cab-Forward" design...? gag.
Name a car that didn't have "sporadic quality issues" dating back to the 50s that's not named Honda or Toyota.
Lee Iacocca saved Chrysler with the minivan it is so popular that GM, and Ford gave up because Chrysler dominated the minivan segment. Also lee Iacocca is the father of the mustang in fact some say he has the very first mustang in his garage in metro Detroit with a license plate that has his late wife's name on it Marry. He also Was in charge of the statute of liberty restoration project.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
This is an extremely misinformed post. I'd say Chrysler has a pretty distinctive look. Don't tell me back in 1975 you could tell the difference between Ford, GM, and Chrysler sedans without looking at the badge. They all had the same boxy shapes with the same 4 square headlights, and park bench bumpers.

I use to hate on Mopar products up until recently. Now 2/3s of my cars are Mopars. Everything from the Hellcat Challengers, to the Wrangler, to the plug in hybrid Pacifica is completely unique that no other brand even has a competitor to. The 8.4" Uconnect infotainment systems are rated the best in the business for about 3 years in a row. Wrangler is always winning 4x4 awards and best resale value awards. Hellcats are winning best drag racing stats. The Pacifica hybrid is the world's only plug in minivan that gets Volt-like mileage and electric range but seats 6 people. It definately isn't a brand hanging on by a string and essentially none of their styles are common with anybody.
Well, as misinformed as I am, I can tell the difference, maybe you can't, but whatever. I've owned about 4 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth's in my lifetime, in fact my first and favorite car was the 1970 Plymouth Duster 340, in the mid '80's I bought a Plymouth Horizon, and I had a couple of used K-cars in the 90's. So, I'm not misinformed and I have owned and I have enjoyed Chrysler cars. Your argument sounds like something from a brochure, are you a dealer? Chrysler has a lead weight around it's neck and it's called Fiat, can it survive another transition?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 AM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
Part of Chrysler's problem today involves their former small engine/platform partner Mitsubishi. In the 80s and early 90s Mitsubishi seemed to be a good brand. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM tried their luck with different Asian companies including Isuzu & Daewoo. Somewhere along the way Mitsubishi quality scandal hurt both Mitsubishi and Chrysler since their FWD products were so closely tied together. Ford was made better in the handling department thanks to their time with Mazda. Isuzu went back to commercial vehicles only and GM developed their own in house small FWD cars and engines through their subsidiaries in Germany and Korea. Seems any future FWD platform and four cylinder engine will be from FIAT.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Well, as misinformed as I am, I can tell the difference, maybe you can't, but whatever. I've owned about 4 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth's in my lifetime, in fact my first and favorite car was the 1970 Plymouth Duster 340, in the mid '80's I bought a Plymouth Horizon, and I had a couple of used K-cars in the 90's. So, I'm not misinformed and I have owned and I have enjoyed Chrysler cars. Your argument sounds like something from a brochure, are you a dealer? Chrysler has a lead weight around it's neck and it's called Fiat, can it survive another transition?
Your information is severely out of date. You drove a couple K cars in the 90's and a Plymouth Horizon, and somehow think that now their styles are bland? It might sound like a brochure, but it helps to glance at one from time to time as opposed to just blindly hating on Chrysler because Fiat bought them. Consider yourself now caught up on what's been going on since the 90's.

If it wasn't for Fiat, Chrysler wouldn't exist. Not sure where the "lead weight" idea came from. What is it that you're expecting from Chrysler that Fiat would possibly be holding them back from?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Part of Chrysler's problem today involves their former small engine/platform partner Mitsubishi. In the 80s and early 90s Mitsubishi seemed to be a good brand. Ford partnered with Mazda and GM tried their luck with different Asian companies including Isuzu & Daewoo. Somewhere along the way Mitsubishi quality scandal hurt both Mitsubishi and Chrysler since their FWD products were so closely tied together. Ford was made better in the handling department thanks to their time with Mazda. Isuzu went back to commercial vehicles only and GM developed their own in house small FWD cars and engines through their subsidiaries in Germany and Korea. Seems any future FWD platform and four cylinder engine will be from FIAT.
Mitsubishi only seemed like a good brand at the time because everything else sucked so bad back then.
It's important to remember that quality differences between brands 20-30 years ago were drastically different compared to today. Now all car quality has improved so much its getting much harder to tell the difference between entire brands.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:31 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
GM bought Daewoo and are useing the plant in South Korea to build These cars

Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic (supermini; 5-door hatchback, 4-door sedan)
Chevrolet Captiva (mid-size SUV; 5-door wagon)
Chevrolet Malibu (mid-size car; 4-door sedan)
Chevrolet Orlando (compact MPV; 5-door wagon)
Chevrolet Spark (city car; 5-door hatchback)
Chevrolet Trax (subcompact SUV; 5-door wagon)
Damas/Labo (microvan, pickup; currently does not wear any marque)
Buick Encore/Opel Mokka (subcompact SUV; 5-door wagon)

Also the Dodge Omnie and Plymouth Horizon 1.7 motor was a Chrysler and VW motor it contained parts from both because Chrysler used the VW Rabbit design for the Omni and Horizon. And look at the Volkswagen Routan it's a Dodge Caravan with a VW front grill. So all the auto manufacturers build some of their competitors vehicles, also GM adds Nissan-built van to take on Transit Connect

Old 06-28-2017, 01:11 PM

12,945 posts, read 9,563,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
One problem I have with Chrysler is that after all these years they still make rust buckets were they will rust after five years in the fenders and rear doors , and the spot welds of the wheel wells and the running boards , and then the ball joints are made of soft steel where they will need replacement after a few years don`t get it
First I ever heard of this. I never experience this on any vehicle I have own, and I have never heard any owners say anything about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive