Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should drivers be retested after a certain age?
Yes 85 80.95%
No 20 19.05%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Several recent incidents here in NYC that made the news:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2959741

Elderly driver hits man, crashes into waiting room in Queens - NY Daily News

Police: Elderly driver who caused fatal 10-car NYC crash dies - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

For Aging Drivers, the Issue of Balancing Risk and Freedom Westchester County Tries to Balance Risk and Freedom for Older Drivers - The New York Times

Between the Boomer generation moving into late middle age/senior citizen status, coupled with better medical care allowing their elderly parents to live longer the nation is facing a large and growing number of "older" drivers on roads.

Problem is many of these drivers haven't been tested since taking their drivers education exams twenty, thirty, forty or more years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I think lots of drivers should be reevaluated. Our driving license testing, renewal and enforcement is a joke.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Several recent incidents here in NYC that made the news:

Woman, 67, killed as driver loses control of car in Brooklyn - NY Daily News

Elderly driver hits man, crashes into waiting room in Queens - NY Daily News

Police: Elderly driver who caused fatal 10-car NYC crash dies - News - recordonline.com - Middletown, NY

For Aging Drivers, the Issue of Balancing Risk and Freedom Westchester County Tries to Balance Risk and Freedom for Older Drivers - The New York Times

Between the Boomer generation moving into late middle age/senior citizen status, coupled with better medical care allowing their elderly parents to live longer the nation is facing a large and growing number of "older" drivers on roads.

Problem is many of these drivers haven't been tested since taking their drivers education exams twenty, thirty, forty or more years ago.
Yes, but it will never happen. Because self centered people will refuse to stop driving. Drivers licenses should all be like in the UK. All licenses should expire on your 70th birthday, and every three years thereafter, and should require full testing for a renewal. Hell, I would make it every year after 70.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
This is the responsibility of the family. I have one aunt that drove without any problems to age 96, and ended up living to 99. For my mother in law, after a second hip replacement at age 83 we took the keys (she was in agreement).

Old 06-25-2017, 07:18 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is the responsibility of the family. I have one aunt that drove without any problems to age 96, and ended up living to 99. For my mother in law, after a second hip replacement at age 83 we took the keys (she was in agreement).
The problem is that many are too scared to take the keys away from their parent until that one accident occurs and by then it may be too late. I like the suggestion of Cloudy Days.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 764,084 times
at 61 my driving scares me sometimes .. i`d be all in favor of mandatory retesting after retirement age or so as long as some sort of alternative transportation service is provided to us elderly .. i make extra special effort to look long and hard before i pull out into oncoming traffic .. i have trouble spotting grey and silver colored vehicles especially those that do not have DRL`s ...

Old 06-25-2017, 08:07 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I certainly am in agreement with retesting but make it more convenient. They do need to restructure the testing program. Some drivers never use their signals and others drive like they are driving Miss Daisy. Lots of seniors have problems parking and backing. Some even get confused which pedal is the brake and they hit the accelerator. This happened to my neighbor across the street. She went right through her house. It was a mess. This lady wouldn't drive over 40 and I told her please don't use the interstates. She agreed. She was a ponderous driver. They cause more accidents than the aggressive drivers.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,068 times
I think all drivers should have to be re-tested at a prescribed period. Not sure what that is but somewhere between every 10 -20 years would be reasonable. I see some truly appalling displays of inept driving from drivers of all ages....

Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Define elderly. And provide age ranges.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, but it will never happen. Because self centered people will refuse to stop driving. Drivers licenses should all be like in the UK. All licenses should expire on your 70th birthday, and every three years thereafter, and should require full testing for a renewal. Hell, I would make it every year after 70.
So you'd have no qualms about being subjected to this renewal cycle all for naught. Most people wouldn't have any problems passing either. Just like car inspections. Most states get along just fine without them, but a few states like to put the screws to their residents. Just more nanny statism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive