Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 AM

93 posts, read 82,869 times

Advertisements

Mitsubishi turbos (MHITD0s) are probably the most reliable mass-produced turbos out there. In the mainstream, basically all Honda turbo applications (Civic, CRV, Accord) use them. My family still have running: a '91 Mitsu L300 van, '95 Mitsu L200 pickup, and a '91 Nissan Sentra. Of course cars were simpler back then. I do believe they make quality products in specific categories. The crossover market is the hottest right now in the US and they remain profitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I don't know why but it seemed like Mitsubishi engines used to be terrible oil burners. It was a pretty common sight to see them take off from a stop light and leave a plume of blue smoke behind, it didn't matter if it was an Eclipse, Diamanté, or 3000GT.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know why but it seemed like Mitsubishi engines used to be terrible oil burners. It was a pretty common sight to see them take off from a stop light and leave a plume of blue smoke behind, it didn't matter if it was an Eclipse, Diamanté, or 3000GT.

I had a 3kgt and it never burned oil. I changed it regularly and don't ever remember having to add any. Never noticed any soot when washing it either.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:12 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My '90 Montero burned lots of oil.
I just kept a case in the back, checked it when I got gas and added as required.
Oil is cheap.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:59 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
Down here in San Antonio, I see lots of Mitsubishis. The Mirage looks to be selling here very well. I also see lots of Outlanders and Lancers. I have heard that virtually any deadbeat can qualify for a loan for a Mitsubishi. Maybe that's why there seem to be so many around these parts!

Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Down here in San Antonio, I see lots of Mitsubishis. The Mirage looks to be selling here very well. I also see lots of Outlanders and Lancers. I have heard that virtually any deadbeat can qualify for a loan for a Mitsubishi. Maybe that's why there seem to be so many around these parts!
That wouldn't surprise me. The San Antonio Mitsubishi dealers seem to be among those who advertise the heaviest, and always have some kind of promotion going. One of them has their perennial "Cash For Clunkers" deal ("We'll give you $XXXX minimum cash for any trade you can push/pull/drag in").

San Antonio has FOUR Mitsubishi dealers. To put that in perspective, San Antonio has FOUR Honda automobile dealers. No wonder you see so many Mitsubishis.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I think the Outlander must be their best selling model. I might lease one but surely not buy one.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:08 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I've owned only one Mitsubishi built car. It was a 1974 Dodge Colt station wagon. It was very reliable. The only problem I had with it was the automatic choke didn't work well. I converted it to a manual choke.

I had a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim with a Mitsubishi 3.0 liter V6. The engine was the only thing that didn't give me a problem on that car! The fuel injection system on it was a Holley/Chrysler design and it was prone to carboning up.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I have heard that virtually any deadbeat can qualify for a loan for a Mitsubishi.
KIA and Chrysler are the subprime kings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I think the Outlander must be their best selling model. I might lease one but surely not buy one.
I only bought used Mitsus. They're reliable and get cheap quick.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:41 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I miss the 3000GT. I haven't liked anything else they put out.
Lancer Rallyart was a really good deal for the money and Evo were/are amazing cars.

Build quality I would say Mitsubushi is up there with Toyota and Honda, but often the interiors were too plasticky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive