U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,489,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No but their is always a experienced master tech around if anything should happen unlike at Walmart.
Only if that master tech is standing there watching the $9/hr tech change the oil. Over/under tightening drain plugs, over/under filling oil, etc are things that the $9/hr tech will do that won't be caught until too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 03:16 PM

4,194 posts, read 1,251,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Only if that master tech is standing there watching the $9/hr tech change the oil. Over/under tightening drain plugs, over/under filling oil, etc are things that the $9/hr tech will do that won't be caught until too late.
No if anything happens it's on record so dealer is on the hook do you get it now, or do you need more direction in this matter. Try getting a jiffy lube to pay up that's why a dealer dose everything to my car it's their vehicle and they know it better than some guy that works on a smorgasbord of vehicles and everything is documented on the dealer network. So you continue to go to Wallyworld for your car maintenance but not me.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,489,358 times
Quote:
No if anything happens it's on record so dealer is on the hook do you get it now, or do you need more direction in this matter. Try getting a jiffy lube to pay up that's why a dealer dose everything to my car it's their vehicle and they know it better than some guy that works on a smorgasbord of vehicles and everything is documented on the dealer network. So you continue to go to Wallyworld for your car maintenance but not me.
I actually don't go to Walmart for my car maintenance but pointing out if you let anyone else change your oil it isn't going to be anyone highly skilled. You're getting the low hanging fruit to do the service whether it's dealer or quick lube or Walmart.

Prevention is my best solution. I'd rather not deal with the "dealer being on the hook" and just do it myself correctly every time.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM

4,194 posts, read 1,251,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I actually don't go to Walmart for my car maintenance but pointing out if you let anyone else change your oil it isn't going to be anyone highly skilled. You're getting the low hanging fruit to do the service whether it's dealer or quick lube or Walmart.

Prevention is my best solution. I'd rather not deal with the "dealer being on the hook" and just do it myself correctly every time.
I use to do my own but age and now I can afford to let the dealer do mine since my cars are 2015 and a 2016 both under manufacturer warranty. So anything that goes wrong it's on them. Also you better keep all maintenance records if you do it yourself and car is still under warranty, because the dealer will want to see them for any Warrenty work.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:32 PM

7 posts, read 3,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Wait, what? This doesn't even make sense. How does them doing an oil change ruin your transmission?
Simple. They drain the transmission fluid, and add oil to compensate. Common on Subaru, and other cars where the "710" plug is not clearly marked.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Do any of you think the guys doing your oil change at a dealership are the most experienced of the service staff ?

You don't demand your tech has proper schooling and credentials and then waste it on have him doing oil changes all day .
I found out that the one I had change my oil at Santa Monica Subaru was a box-cutter wielding terrorist who cut a huge hole in my splash shield to make it quicker and easier to change the oil.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
One thing I'll miss about where I live now - having a mechanic shop I trust.

If the VIN plate does not read "Fuji Heavy Industries" (or recently, "Subaru Corporation"), they don't work on it. They know more about Subarus than Subaru knows about Subarus. They have a very small network of shops that they trust to outsource work they don't handle themselves, and these shops are the best at what they do.

Not everything revolves around price. For people that price is everything, I tend to ignore their sob stories about how the (insert item here) didn't last.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM

564 posts, read 293,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Discount Tire is the only tire place I will go to.
I've used them for years. But I just bought a set of Michelins for my 22" rims from Costco and was satisfied with the quality of their guys. That's my first experience buying tires from Costco, so comments on their service from others is welcome.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:53 PM

1,724 posts, read 2,255,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Maybe a silly question but does walmart do alignments if you buy tires?
Let us hope not! FYI, replacement of tires does not automatically incur a need for alignment -- not at all. Your old tires will tell you a lot about whether or not there is an alignment need. The tires might be worn more on the shoulders than the center -- that is an inflation issue. If they are worn more on one shoulder than the other that DOES indicate a need for alignment. Also pulling to one side, although that is frequently a tire issue. Changing tires does not change alignment. If the alignment is good, the last thing you want is for a discount department store to mess it up!

Don in Austin

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 PM

1,724 posts, read 2,255,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Wait, what? This doesn't even make sense. How does them doing an oil change ruin your transmission?
Sad to say it makes perfect sense and it happens! Pull the wrong drain plug and drain the transmission, overfill the engine. So careless that they don't even check the dipstick and catch the engine grossly overfilled. That is not as bad as the imminent destruction of an expensive 5-6 speed standard transaxle, however.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or