Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, but passing on the right is illegal in most states. So if the left lane blocker suddenly decides to get back in the right lane, possibly without signalling, and collides with you, it's a difficult situation.
Hmmmm ... I'd need to see codes on that.

In Minnesota, where multiple lanes exist in both directions, it is legal to overtake a vehicle using a lane to the right of that vehicle "under conditions permitting such movement in safety" (MN Code 169.18 sub 4 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.18).

When I lived in California and Washington, there were similar codes. Iowa, too.

Still is in all three states:

Cali: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=21754

WashState: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

Iowa: Iowa Code 321.302

Last edited by WoodburyWoody; 06-29-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 01:53 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Hmmmm ... I'd need to see codes on that.

In Minnesota, were multiple lanes exist in both directions, it is legal to overtake a vehicle using a lane to the right of that vehicle "under conditions permitting such movement in safety" (MN Code 169.18 sub 4 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.18).

When I lived in California and Washington, there were similar codes. Iowa, too.

Still is in all three states:

Cali: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=21754

WashState: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

Iowa: Iowa Code 321.302
The only state I know of that will ticket for that is Connecticut, and I only heard that on the internet. The other 49 do not forbid passing on the right when more than one lane is heading in the same direction.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On my recent trip to Colorado, from Las Vegas, and back have you ever run into these people who come up close behind you, on the freeway, where you automatically assume you're not driving fast enough for them, so, being polite, you slide over into the right lane, and then? They don't race ahead, they just hold their speed, or slow down!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
You're putting a lot of extra words in the OP's mouth. The OP never mentioned the left lane nor cruising or clogging anything.
There you go.

That implies the OP is in the left lane.

Center lane (if there was one here) is the travel lane. Typically when you get into more of a metro area do you see more than 2 lanes each way. Out in the rural areas it's usually just 2 each way.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwake View Post
Sure, that sounds easy... but if someone IS passing on the left at say, 10 mph over the speed limit and then someone comes racing up behind them at 20+ mph over, it is hardly that persons fault for "blocking" the lane. Especially in that case, the law is on the side of the "lane blocker" because a speeding vehicle always yields right of way.
It sounds easy and it is easy unless you want to complicate things on purpose. Your scenario is not a concern to the person driving in the right lane. If you are the driver passing from the left going 10+ faster than the car on your right, then the faster car coming behind you needs to slow down and chill till you clear the car on the right and then a little after clearing the car, start signaling, so the faster vehicle behind you knows you aim to get out of his way, and move to the right to let him pass.

See, it wasn't so hard?

You have to pay attention so you know what is going around you, then you have to use common sense and also try to be courteous when needed. Most people are to ignorant or distracted to do any of these because it requires effort and consideration. Virtues lost to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
You would not believe the huge number of cars I pass on the right because they insist on owning the left lane. It's not uncommon for me to pass 10 at a time this way.
I would. I live in So Cal and also ride a motorcycle. I have seen it all.
This area is very ...."diverse"...e-hem, so, crappy drivers are all over the place. My personal favorites are the zombies who park their behinds in the carpool lane, turn the 65 mph auto pilot on and ignore the horde of p.ssed off drivers piling up in the back. Once in a while, I will see one or two snap and speed up out of the carpool section to pass that slowpoke and then enter back ahead of them. I especially enjoy this when they cut out/in over the double-yellow lines and damn near kill me in the process.

Then there is always the potential for a road rage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No7v2ps6ukI

Slowpokes on the left lane or carpool lane create more than just frustration but do they give a rat's arse?

Then again, there is this which is soooooo true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWPCE2tTLZQ

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 06-29-2017 at 04:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 05:43 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The only state I know of that will ticket for that is Connecticut, and I only heard that on the internet. The other 49 do not forbid passing on the right when more than one lane is heading in the same direction.
Typical American anarchy. Wish we enforced KRETP the way the Germans do.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,440,622 times
Pennsylvania ruling:
§ 3304. Overtaking vehicle on the right.
(a) General rule.--The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass upon the right of another vehicle only under one of the following conditions:
(1) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the berm or shoulder of the highway.
(2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
(b) Limitation.--No passing movement under this section shall be made unless the movement can be made in safety.

In laymans terms: Simply do not do it! too many "exceptions"...or "unless" are involved.

Heck in our area, turn signals are a joke..they either forget they have it on, or never use them to signal!

Tonight a co worker said....I have to go 50 down that hill, otherwise I wear out my brakes! I was miffed, as the posted sign is 35...She insists that its not her fault that gravity/inertia produced a higher speed.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,518,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
<>Tonight a co worker said....I have to go 50 down that hill, otherwise I wear out my brakes! I was miffed, as the posted sign is 35...She insists that its not her fault that gravity/inertia produced a higher speed.
Rode to work with a lady who did that, but actually pushed in the clutch and let it accelerate on the downhill. She said her husband taught her to do that.
"Looked for another ride"

Old 06-29-2017, 08:23 PM

10,608 posts, read 12,113,548 times
To my reading that means in PA you CAN pass on the right IF:
2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

So to me that means I CAN lawfully pass on the right on interstates or any other place when two lanes are going in the same direction (sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled) -- AND I don't drive off the roadway.

To me that explicitly says passing on the right IS allowed if those parameters are met. So I don't get all the "don't do it" bit.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
To my reading that means in PA you CAN pass on the right IF:
2) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaken vehicle, except that such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

So to me that means I CAN lawfully pass on the right on interstates or any other place when two lanes are going in the same direction (sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled) -- AND I don't drive off the roadway.

To me that explicitly says passing on the right IS allowed if those parameters are met. So I don't get all the "don't do it" bit.
Bingo!

Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,473,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've learned to just hang out in the right lane and do the speed limit. If others want to go faster in the left lane, that's their dumb choice.

If you do the math, going 85 mph instead of the 75 mph limit for a 60 mile trip saves you 5.6 minutes.

You are risking getting an expensive ticket and points to save that time.

Instead, I just leave 10 minutes earlier and I'll get there sooner than you.
On a lot of rural freeways, even doing 5 over the speed limit in the slow lane is enough to get people tailgating you and just being pissed at you in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive