Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:06 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If I'm going the speed limit (or typically 5 miles over) and someone is on my rear end, I purposely will not move over!
That's just as bad as tailgating. Keep right except to pass.

Highway patrol here is in the middle of a campaign to crack down on left lane campers.
http://klewtv.com/news/local/washing...lane-violators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:26 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,968 times
Quote:
If I'm going the speed limit (or typically 5 miles over) and someone is on my rear end, I purposely will not move over!

If you're in the left lane you are at a minimum being a jerk and at most breaking the law! OOPS! Assuming you are not passing slower traffic to your right.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:57 PM

431 posts, read 352,135 times
What I hate is what I call "Klingons". I make the drive from NV to Denver area a lot as well as I have family just outside of Denver. I usually drive mid week so there is way less traffic and lots of open road with 80 MPH speed limit.

So I'm driving long in the middle of nowhere and going 80 to 85 with the cruise control on. I see a car coming up behind me at a pretty good clip but then as they approach me and instead of passing me they just hang on my left rear quarter or worse, get right next to me and drive the exact same speed I'm going. They just kind of cling to me and will ride that way.

If I speed up, they speed up. If I slow down, they slow down. Why do people do this? I guess it is sheep mentality and they just want to be in a group? I've actually pulled off the highway at the next exit before just to get away from these people.

In my fantasy world, I have a bazooka mounted to the side of my car and I press a button on the dash that fires it blowing up them and their car to pieces!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:05 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
On my recent trip to Colorado, from Las Vegas, and back have you ever run into these people who come up close behind you, on the freeway, where you automatically assume you're not driving fast enough for them, so, being polite, you slide over into the right lane, and then? They don't race ahead, they just hold their speed, or slow down!

This has happened a number of time when driving, and all I can gather from this behavior, is they want a leader to speed ahead, which gives them the freedom to speed along, hoping if a patrol car is present, the leader gets the ticket?

At any rate, I find it very annoying!

How do you interpret this driving behavior?
Sure have. I call those leaders "bunny rabbits". They get picked off by the predators, aka the cops. Lot of of people are looking for, hoping for, just such a thing. I've seen trains of cars three or four long get behind a rabbit, strung out over a couple miles on interstates.

Two stories:

Riding home from Sacramento to Seattle about fourteen years ago on my freight train-like GT motorcycle, I remember someone climbing up on me like that in southern Oregon (I-5). He actually then blew by me, and I was already scooting along. I let him get just far enough ahead I could barely see him, then wicked it up to over 100mph(!) for a looooong time. I mean like an hour or hours, we just rolled right along: that's a perfect cruise speed for a big motorcycle, too, and I was quite comfortable. We sure made good time through a dull part of the drive. He didn't get busted, but could have I guess and I watched him quite carefully throughout, far ahead of me. I sure didn't get busted. Always remembered that, that was a record-book short run home (as one might imagine), something like eleven hours to go 775 miles including fuel stops every 150 miles and a brief sandwich break.

Second was me, just this past Sunday:

Couple people trained in behind me out on an interstate many miles from our major metro, I have radar detector and laser jammers on my car. If speed limits were broken or not is an open question...(cough)....but I don't blame others for making me their rabbit. Did not meet the man, and I went elsewhere for a coffee break after half hour or so of (alleged) monkey business.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:30 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
That's just as bad as tailgating. Keep right except to pass.

Highway patrol here is in the middle of a campaign to crack down on left lane campers.
Washington State Patrol crack down on left lane violators | KLEW
I SAID.......if I'm doing the speed limit or a little over. I'm not going UNDER the speed limit so it doesn't apply to me. If someone wants to do 20 over the speed limit THEY are breaking the law, not me! I'm not moving over because someone wants to go fast then me when I'm already going faster than the limit. BTW....I live in the Chicagoland area, everyone here drives like a maniac. I have never caused an accident and I have not had a ticket in over 25 years.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:32 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
I SAID.......if I'm doing the speed limit or a little over. I'm not doing UNDER the speed limit so it doesn't apply to me.
Whether you are going the limit or not doesn't matter. The law is still keep right except to pass.

RCW 46.61.100 requires all vehicles to keep right except when passing on multiple lane roadways. Left lane "campers" are drivers who remain in the passing lane (left lane) for long periods of time without passing.

Q: The law requires a driver who is “holding up traffic” with several cars directly behind to pull over and let the traffic pass. If the driver is going below the speed limit, it makes sense. However, if the driver is traveling at the speed limit, are they still obligated to let traffic pass — traffic that wants to exceed the speed limit?

A: Basically, yes.

We certainly don’t want to support travelling in excess of the posted speed, but the legislature basically addressed this with the last line of the law…a slow moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Illegal in many places, stupid everywhere. You are not the police. Impeding the flow of traffic is not a positive contribution to safety.
"Probably mean, too"

Old 06-27-2017, 01:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
I SAID.......if I'm doing the speed limit or a little over. I'm not going UNDER the speed limit so it doesn't apply to me. If someone wants to do 20 over the speed limit THEY are breaking the law, not me! I'm not moving over because someone wants to go fast then me when I'm already going faster than the limit.
Incorrect, impeding the flow of traffic is impending the flow of traffic regardless of the speed you are going.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Illegal in many places, stupid everywhere. You are not the police. Impeding the flow of traffic is not a positive contribution to safety.
"Probably mean, too"
No kidding, what you quoted (left lane camping). Further up thread, I'm glad if WA State in-particular will have emphasis patrols for this. Those white WSP and the less-obvious semi or unmarked will sneak up on people and pop them, fast, for aggressive behaviors when on emphasis patrols. Seen it a few times. Make no mistake: left lane camping is aggressive behavior, and in a very crowded freeway area like Seattle metro in-particular, that dog won't hunt.

Some broken down fuddy duddy in the left lane who camps there...yeah, nothing like policing everyone else's driving behavior. To that, I say: pappy, you *will* be passed, by me, after I've dutifully hung back a bit (not tailgating), and flashed my lights a couple times and you've not politely moved to the right when safe. My speed is not your concern.

People do that to me, I get out of the way into the right lane when safe. Happens from time to time, of course. I drive monster cars and motorcycles and "could" exit just about anyone out of my way or play games, but...why exactly would I do that? Oh, wait, I've got it: I'm not a d___.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:42 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,657,346 times
My experience is the guy in the back of a group of speeders gets picked off by the cops. That's exactly what happened to me. However, I don't speed much any more. Set the cruise control for the speed limit or 5 mph over and roll along in the right lane.

The only time I really speed is when passing someone who keeps speeding up while I'm trying to pass. I just don't get that. It sometimes turns into an all out drag race. Thing is, when I finally do pass them, and eventually slow back down to the speed I was going when I caught up to them, they slow back down to the speed they were going before too. I just don't get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive