Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:11 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,046,958 times

Advertisements

Interestingly, I toured the GM Arlington plant today. It is an amazing place.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle on many of these comments. Auto manufacturers still offer en excellent career opportunity and offer very competitive benefits and salary compared to other places. They have done well to survive as they have, and yes - I know they've had help. Newer labor contracts are not as favorable to the worker as older contracts, but still are better than most open market or non-represented positions.

There are opportunities that have been developed by many major corporations in conjunction with various veteran groups or with government support to provide apprenticeship programs. The auto manufacturers seem to be one of the biggest supporters of it to help them backfill retirements. Others are welding schools/unions/employers.

Skilled labor in many markets is in short supply. These positions will continue to be in demand and I anticipate salries will rise for those who demonstrate skill and a decent work ethic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 04:52 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Interestingly, I toured the GM Arlington plant today. It is an amazing place.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle on many of these comments. Auto manufacturers still offer en excellent career opportunity and offer very competitive benefits and salary compared to other places. They have done well to survive as they have, and yes - I know they've had help. Newer labor contracts are not as favorable to the worker as older contracts, but still are better than most open market or non-represented positions.

There are opportunities that have been developed by many major corporations in conjunction with various veteran groups or with government support to provide apprenticeship programs. The auto manufacturers seem to be one of the biggest supporters of it to help them backfill retirements. Others are welding schools/unions/employers.

Skilled labor in many markets is in short supply. These positions will continue to be in demand and I anticipate salries will rise for those who demonstrate skill and a decent work ethic.
And having a company pay you to learn a trade is a great thing. Were else can you make $30 an hour without having a college degree. And that's just while you are a apprentice when you are a Journeyman your pay goes up. Like I said before I know a Journeyman millwright who works for Chrysler and making over a $100,000 a year because of all the overtime you get paid triple time when you work a holiday. If you want to succeed in life you have to work for it and working as a skilled tradesmen for the big3 is a pretty sweet gig.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:28 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Boy you are misinformed I have friends who are working for the big 3 they still have great medical and great pay especially skilled trade great paid time off you get paid from Dec23 all the wat to Jan2 with pay. And the extra holidays, and if you have to work on a holiday you make triple time. I know a millwright working for Chrysler and making over a $100,000 a year.
How old are these people and what tier are they in?

http://fortune.com/2015/10/26/gm-uaw...ct-pay-strike/
Quote:
The Fiat Chrysler deal set an eight-year path from hiring to top pay, which goes from $17 per hour to nearly $30 per hour.
You can bet the vast majority are closer to $17 than $30. I work in a place that is a UAW shop and only about 5% are in the the highest pay tier.

Here's what's going to happen.
All of those people who make $100K will retire and be replaced by lower tier workers who make far less than that.
That's what happened at Deere. My cousin was one of the last of the old guys. He worked under the old pay structure and made the money you described.
My brother in law hired in there a few years back as a line worker and made under $20 an hour.
He did get quite a bit of OT, but wasn't going to make anywhere close to $100K.

GM is still the largest provider of pensions in the U.S. but that's going dwindle to the point that sometime in the 2030's they'll have almost no pension exposure.
Their goal is to get out of pensions entirely. IMO, that's one of the main reasons they got rid of Opel.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-30-2017 at 05:41 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
How old are these people and what tier are they in?

Here's what's going to happen.
All of those people who make $100K will retire and be replaced by lower tier workers who make far less than that.
That's what happened at Deere. My cousin was one of the last Tier 1's there and he made the money you described.
My brother in law hired in there a few years back as a line worker and made well under $20 an hour.
He did get quite a bit of OT, but wasn't going to make anywhere close to $100K.

GM is still the largest provider of pensions in the U.S. but that's going dwindle to the point that sometime in the 2030's they'll have almost no pension exposure.
Their goal is to get out of pensions entirely. IMO, that's one of the main reasons they got rid of Opel.
I'm talking about skilled trades not line workers, remember skilled trades work when the line is down and on weekends. They work the days when the plant is down for changeover, or shut down for the holidays. And they are going to get rid of the tier system, Ford did. Look at the first page of this thread I posted a notice from the county I live in and a notice from GM they are hiring apprentice starting pay is $29.33 an hour not line workers these apprentice programs are to learn a skilled trade like a millwright, electriction, pipe fitters, too and die.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...f-tiered-wages

Last edited by easy62; 06-30-2017 at 05:49 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about skilled trades not line workers,
Yeah... that's like a tiny percentage.
Don't give people the idea that you can walk into GM and make big money.
For the vast majority it ain't happening.

You'll get a line job... not easy.
Then hope your body doesn't break down or you get replaced by a robot before you can retire.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Yeah... that's like a tiny percentage.
Don't give people the idea that you can walk into GM and make big money.
For the vast majority it ain't happening.

You'll get a line job... not easy.
Then hope your body doesn't break down or you get replaced by a robot before you can retire.
No you cannot just walk into a GM plant to fill out a job application they go through the Unemployment office. You still make good money. Better than most jobs out there and the bennifits is also good. Also all the GM workers got a pay raise with the new UAW contract.

What GM

Old 06-30-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
No you cannot just walk into a GM plant to fill out a job application they go through the Unemployment office. You still make good money. Better than most jobs out there and the bennifits is also good. Also all the GM workers got a pay raise with the new UAW contract.

What GM
It pays a lot better than Walmart, but they don't make the money you described.
$22 an hour x 40 hours times 52 weeks is $45K. You'd have to live there to make $100K.

Also, you're minimizing the flunk out rate on apprentices.
I worked at a place where they apprenticed machinists, welders and metal fabricators.
They did have high standards... the people there were very skilled. Only 10% to 20% made it through.

It's no different than college. You have to have both the desire to do it and an aptitude for it.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
They don't make the money you described.

Also, you're minimizing the flunk out rate on apprentices.
I worked at a place where they apprenticed machinists, welders and metal fabricators.
They did have high standards... the people there were very skilled. Only 10% to 20% made it through.

It's no different than college. You have to have both the desire to do it and an aptitude for it.
Boy that's funny because I know people who are skilled tradesmen for the big 3 and they are making over $30 an hour. I live in metro Detroit so I see it first hand, I live right by Chrysler Sterling stamping plant, and GM's power train plant at 9 mile and Mound road. I have allot of friends who work for GM my father retired from there as a skilled tradesmen. I know what they are making. And yes many don't make it but the ones that do are set for life because tradesmen will always be in demand. I gave a friend who retired from Chrysler after working 30 years they gave him a $25,000 voucher for a new Chrysler vehicle, his fill pension, full medical and he was only 55 when he retired. His son will retire in 10 years at the age of 48 he started at Chrysler when he was 18 right out of high school. So yes skilled tradesmen do make that much money working for the big 3. And the amount of applications for the apprentice program they can pick the ones that they think will make it, GM has been around a long time they know who to take and who not to accept into the program.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 AM

These sound like old guys, long timers on different pay scales than the young guys.
I knew lot of guys like that at Deere. A buddy of mine made as much as $150K a year.

I knew another guy that did even better.
He was a line supervisor that got a buyout. Problem was they bought out too many guys and didn't have enough guys left that knew anything.
So he was getting his pension and got hired as a contractor... double dipped! He bought some nice classic cars with that play money.

Those days are over.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
These sound like old guys, long timers on different pay scales than the young guys.
I knew lot of guys like that at Deere. A buddy of mine made as much as $150K a year.

I knew another guy that did even better.
He was a line supervisor that got a buyout. Problem was they bought out too many guys and didn't have enough guys left that knew anything.
So he was getting his pension and got hired as a contractor... double dipped! He bought some nice classic cars with that play money.

Those days are over.
They may be over but still a good job for someone with no higher education and skilled trade like my father did side jobs on the side so you're skill will always make you money. Working for the big 3 imo is still a great job no matter what others think or say. I bet plenty of people would love to be working for the big 3 right now. And from your screen name it looks like you worked for E.A.T.O.N automotive a big tier1 supplier to the big3 and that's why you know so much about the apprenticeships program because they are also a UAW company.

Last edited by easy62; 06-30-2017 at 07:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive