Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:57 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Until gas prices get so high that people can't afford it then maybe Tesla will sell more cars but until then a gasoline engine vehicle will always reign supreme. Hey azriverfan do you own a electric car. And how much is the cheapest Tesla is it cheaper than the chevy Bolt, or the ELR, or the Volt I think not. Right now Tesla has lost so much money because energy prices are so low that buying a Tesla doesn't make any sense with gas so cheap.
This technology is basically in it's infancy and will almost certainly become cheaper, following the trend of almost all other major technological advancements. As I mentioned in earlier posts, the only major impediments to widespread EV adoption is the currently prohibitive cost of the technology coupled with it's current limitations (charging speed and battery range). Once these are addressed, and as EV innovation continues to advance, market saturation will increase and prices will drop. Look at what happened to the cost of micro-processors as processing speed increased and chip size decreased. Same for lithion-ion batteries in recent years. Now consider how many people are able to afford (and want to purchase) a mobile phone or a personal computer today, vs in the 1980s.

At some point, whether in 10 years or in 50, we will reach the nexus where EV technology and cost becomes on-par with gasoline, which will drive an eventual shift to electric. I am fairly certain that, given it's track record, The US will balk at adoption and will engage in some artificial attempts to drive down the cost of gasoline-powered vehicles in favor of the gas auto industry, but the bailouts cannot last forever. Think Xerox in the wake of Microsoft - the outdated technology will eventually be replaced, even if begrudgingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It only lasted a few years because it was an ugly and unreliable piece of s$#$# What you don't get is that Tesla made the first mass produced electric vehicle that not only looked amazing (contrary to nearly every other American car) but was roomy, had great safety features and was functional in multiple ways.

Diesel is toxic to the environment and an outdated technology. Like with any technology, it has been surpassed. As electric vehicles become increasingly common, they will become cheaper to produce and we are observing that.

You are not fooling anyone. Your true reason behind your support of gasoline engines and GM is due to cultural ones. For many, a true vehicle is one in which the engine can be heard and is made by General Motors or Ford. That is certainly endearing from a nostalgic sense albeit one that is utterly absurd and irrational.
You're not fooling anyone. Tesla owners are anything but rational.
The interior is terrible. Sure it's nicer than a 1995 Dodge Stratus but it's spartan. A $100k car with no vented seats? Even cupholders and rear map lights were optional at one point.
On the one hand it's a luxury car but with few luxury features.

Performance is limited to drag racing only at the price of almost double the cost of the base model. You essentially could own a base Model S and have enough left over to buy a Hellcat. Do you at least get vented seats for that additional cost? Nope, just faster 0-60 times and and more range (that gas and plug ins take for granted). It's sad that that I would have to spend another $20-70k just to make a 3 hour round trip to see a relative without using their 110V outlet to recharge my car over 24 hours. This is not the definition of a practical car by any means.

Buying the car to save money in gas is a joke all by itself. You could buy a similarly performing, CTSV and have $40k to spend in gas.

Reliabilty sucks. It apparently isn't the safest in crash test and out of warranty cost are rediculous. It's quite possibly the most irrational vehicle ever purchased.

Here is the absolute dumbest thing about Tesla... Essentially all of their compromises would be alleviated if they just made it a plug in hybrid. Elon can pretend he cares about fossil fuel usage but we know that's not actually true given that he's ok with burning a skyscraper sized rocket full of it so he can retire on Mars.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Saw a Tesla display in a mall near here. Walked over to check it out and the guy manning the show let me set in one. I forget the model number but the price was 100k. It has an enormous digital display that was just amazing. It even showed where every charging station in the area was located.

The coolest thing I learned was all about Ludicrous Mode. Seems this car will go from 0-60 in just 2.3 seconds in Ludicrous Mode. The car has two electric motors, one front and back that launch the car in this mode. The guy told me the G's from this launch are incredible.

He even offered to let me take it out and drive it, which of course I didn't do because I was with my family. I regret that now!
I never set in one. A coworker let me sit in her's though. Not too impressed with it though.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:16 AM

604 posts, read 652,513 times
For $100k it better be impressive, although I'd rather buy a 911 turbo (second hand at this price).
That engine's sound is music to my ears and handling is fantastic.

I cannot imagine stopping and waiting every 250 miles to plug in...

Old 07-12-2017, 10:22 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
On behalf of this message board I'd like to thank you for your aptitude of the English language. Your grammar guru award is in the mail.
The first thing I thought of when I saw this headline was a huge chicken SETTING in the driver's seat. Was an egg the result? As you probably know but didn't like to say, one of the meanings of "set" is what a chicken does to produce an egg.

Maybe that headline was more apt than we all thought.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
46H

1,651 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The new Tesla is roughly the same price as the Bolt. The ELR is discontinued.
Not really.
The Chevy Bolt msrp for the LT is $36,620. You can lease a Bolt now for $249/mnth, 2yrs/24k miles, with $2000 down.
Most of the initial Model 3 orders range between $45k and $55k.

https://electrek.co/2017/04/06/tesla...le-price-data/

Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Not really.
The Chevy Bolt msrp for the LT is $36,620. You can lease a Bolt now for $249/mnth, 2yrs/24k miles, with $2000 down.
Most of the initial Model 3 orders range between $45k and $55k.

https://electrek.co/2017/04/06/tesla...le-price-data/
And you don't have to wait to get a bolt because GM can produce their EV cars a heck of a lot faster than Tesla.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
The first thing I thought of when I saw this headline was a huge chicken SETTING in the driver's seat. Was an egg the result? As you probably know but didn't like to say, one of the meanings of "set" is what a chicken does to produce an egg.

Maybe that headline was more apt than we all thought.
No, that makes no sense either.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And you don't have to wait to get a bolt because GM can produce their EV cars a heck of a lot faster than Tesla.
In the looks/style department, the Bolt/Volt is no comparison to the Model 3 though.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
In the looks/style department, the Bolt/Volt is no comparison to the Model 3 though.
But they are cheaper to buy and you can take them to any chevy dealer for service unlike a Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive