Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
Not all model S cars have Ludicrous Mode.
But the one that did put a smile on my face. Check out the faces on youtube

Bolts, Leafs, Prius, etc....not so much.

If money were no object I would have one in my drive way until something better in EV cars came along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The point is that the Model S is the only non-boutique electric car that even attempts to cater to the performance market. Every other manufacturer emphasizes thrift, utility, efficiency and so forth. Maybe the Tesla is underwhelming around a race-track. But is it even conceivable to have a Bolt or Volt or whatnot even make an appearance on a race-track?
So pay $100k for an electric drag racer with a spartan interior?
Tesla's done a remarkable job of distracting the public into thinking it can go head to head with a Ferrari.
I actually like the 17in LCD screen, autopilot, and internet connectivity. It's the electric drive train that sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 04:31 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
On behalf of this message board I'd like to thank you for your aptitude of the English language. Your grammar guru award is in the mail.
It takes a village...

Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I actually like the 17in LCD screen, autopilot, and internet connectivity. It's the electric drive train that sucks.
My preferences are the exact opposite. Strip out those features, reduce weight, do more work on the suspension, spend less money on fit and finish, and lower the price.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
the guy manning the show let me set in one.
So, he allowed you to adjust the onboard clock?
That's nice, but I think that it would have been much nicer if he had allowed you to SIT in that Tesla.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
My preferences are the exact opposite. Strip out those features, reduce weight, do more work on the suspension, spend less money on fit and finish, and lower the price.
That would be a Tesla Roadster. Nobody bought it.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:11 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
George Clooney bought one.

Quote:
I had a Tesla," Clooney told the magazine. "I was one of the first cats with a Tesla. I think I was, like, No. 5 on the list. But I'm telling you, I've been on the side of the road a while in that thing, and I said to them, ‘Look, guys, why am I always stuck on the side of the $#%@& road? Make it work, one way or another.' 

Old 07-02-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
It was an interesting car, but was too newfangled and untested. Fast forward to today's infrastructure and battery technology, and the Tesla Roadster becomes more viable. Also, it was too derivative from the original Lotus. The regular Lotus was arguably a better Lotus than the Tesla version. But what if Tesla built a bespoke electric sports car, around its electric architecture? For instance, use the cavity that accepts the battery-packs as a structural element, as a space-frame of sorts? Position the motors in a way that reduces polar moment of inertia - in a way that would be infeasible with a single internal combustion engine. Since there's no cooling system or exhaust system, presumably there are aerodynamic possibilities, that were precluded in car converted to electric from internal combustion.

The overarching problem, however, isn't one of electric vs. internal combustion. It's that the market for cars like the Subaru BRZ or the Mazda Miata has become achingly small. The demographic used to buy personal coupes or sports-cars, now buys pickup trucks.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
It was an interesting car, but was too newfangled and untested. Fast forward to today's infrastructure and battery technology, and the Tesla Roadster becomes more viable. Also, it was too derivative from the original Lotus. The regular Lotus was arguably a better Lotus than the Tesla version. But what if Tesla built a bespoke electric sports car, around its electric architecture? For instance, use the cavity that accepts the battery-packs as a structural element, as a space-frame of sorts? Position the motors in a way that reduces polar moment of inertia - in a way that would be infeasible with a single internal combustion engine. Since there's no cooling system or exhaust system, presumably there are aerodynamic possibilities, that were precluded in car converted to electric from internal combustion.

The overarching problem, however, isn't one of electric vs. internal combustion. It's that the market for cars like the Subaru BRZ or the Mazda Miata has become achingly small. The demographic used to buy personal coupes or sports-cars, now buys pickup trucks.
My problem is sustained performance from batteries suck. They get hot and the computer goes into limp home mode to take the load off the battery. Good for some drag racing laps, but that's not what you buy a Roadster for. I also despise quiet sports cars. Most people pay extra to make them loud and here they're offering a completely quiet sports car.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
My problem is sustained performance from batteries suck. They get hot and the computer goes into limp home mode to take the load off the battery. Good for some drag racing laps, but that's not what you buy a Roadster for. I also despise quiet sports cars. Most people pay extra to make them loud and here they're offering a completely quiet sports car.
Once again, opinions differ. I crave the litheness, agility and driver-orientation of a sports car... but I want a quiet interior, an unassuming exterior, and simplicity of design. I find loud exhaust to be irritating, and for me, a quiet interior is a far more important luxury feature, than electric mirrors or keyless remote or electric motors to move the seats.

People with a short commute (say, <20 miles) and workplace charging-access can do fine with electric cars with existing battery technology. Energy density is very poor, compared to burning hydrocarbons. But power density can actually be very good. Compare for example what's happening in radio-controlled model airplanes. Electric motors with Li-po batteries have become comparable in power-density to methanol-fuel (spiked with nitromethane) internal combustion engines. But a spirited flight only lasts 2-3 minutes, because energy-density is poor.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Why bother. For what it is Bolt is a better EV.
Why bother? Because the Bolt is ugly as hell whereas the Tesla is sexy as hell. That's one reason.

It's like asking why bother buying a Rolex when you can buy a Timex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive