Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:34 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times

Advertisements

outafocus should read this if he hates unions.

If Unions Are Breaking Automakers, Why Are BMW and Mercedes So Rich? by Thom Hartmann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 03:38 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,180,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That's the problem right there.
He also said that one of the bread and butter things on a car is performance.
Then he says his cars aren't any good at that.
Who wastes that kind of money on something they admit is mediocre?

Many American cars offer solid reliability and strong performance without costing you an arm and a leg.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
i have always been sticking with japanese cars throughout my adult life, mainly b/c they are reliable, the performance of a honda or toyota isn't great, but it is something that i can deal with for the price that they are asking. For the most part, a car is just a tool that takes me from point a to point b and i just don't see the point of spending a large amount of money on something that will only depreciate over time.
I thought about buying german cars, but the reliability of german cars really concerns me. A few years ago, when i went to europe for vacation, we rented a vw golf gtd, and i really enjoyed driving that car on the german autobahn. i liked the car so much that i even thought about buying it, except gtd is not sold in the states.
now american brand cars. i honestly don't know why i should spend $30k to buy an american brand car. when i buy japanese cars, i am buying reliability, when i am buying german cars, i am buying performance. i had this conversation with my coworker before, he told me he will always buy american brand cars, b/c he wants to support the american auto industry. Sometimes when i watch tv, and i see those ford, or gm commercials, they call themselves most dependable vehicle, to me, that is just ahh, like how do you define the word "dependable". which vehicle is not dependable?
I have been living in this country for a long long long time now, i do care about what is going on in this country, and it is not like i have anything against american brand cars. BUT if Ford, Chrysler, GM... wants me to spend $30k of my hard earned money to buy a Ford, Chrysler, GM, they have to earn it! They have to prove to me that they are just as reliable as a honda, a toyota, their performance, handling is just as good as BMW, Mercedes Benz. So far, they have not done it.
In some of the american brand car commercials, they were trying to promote the self // parking feature, you can open the trunk by extending your leg underneath the car. To me, those features are nice, but i will not buy a car simply b/c of those features. imo, the bread and butter of a car is reliability, is performance, is safety and of course, price.
I don't see a single question here. Nice editorial though but don't pretend you are "undecided."

Old 07-05-2017, 03:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,744,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Yeah... he said he won't support unions, then rattled off a bunch of cars he bought were built with union labor.
Yay for right-wing propaganda

Old 07-05-2017, 03:47 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,139,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Yes, even ISIS has dumped Toyota in favor of Kia...https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...tan-war-2017-3
ISIS was very displeased with the after sales service Toyota was offering in Raqqa.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:58 PM

29,869 posts, read 18,712,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
i have always been sticking with japanese cars throughout my adult life, mainly b/c they are reliable, the performance of a honda or toyota isn't great, but it is something that i can deal with for the price that they are asking. For the most part, a car is just a tool that takes me from point a to point b and i just don't see the point of spending a large amount of money on something that will only depreciate over time.
I thought about buying german cars, but the reliability of german cars really concerns me. A few years ago, when i went to europe for vacation, we rented a vw golf gtd, and i really enjoyed driving that car on the german autobahn. i liked the car so much that i even thought about buying it, except gtd is not sold in the states.
now american brand cars. i honestly don't know why i should spend $30k to buy an american brand car. when i buy japanese cars, i am buying reliability, when i am buying german cars, i am buying performance. i had this conversation with my coworker before, he told me he will always buy american brand cars, b/c he wants to support the american auto industry. Sometimes when i watch tv, and i see those ford, or gm commercials, they call themselves most dependable vehicle, to me, that is just ahh, like how do you define the word "dependable". which vehicle is not dependable?
I have been living in this country for a long long long time now, i do care about what is going on in this country, and it is not like i have anything against american brand cars. BUT if Ford, Chrysler, GM... wants me to spend $30k of my hard earned money to buy a Ford, Chrysler, GM, they have to earn it! They have to prove to me that they are just as reliable as a honda, a toyota, their performance, handling is just as good as BMW, Mercedes Benz. So far, they have not done it.
In some of the american brand car commercials, they were trying to promote the self // parking feature, you can open the trunk by extending your leg underneath the car. To me, those features are nice, but i will not buy a car simply b/c of those features. imo, the bread and butter of a car is reliability, is performance, is safety and of course, price.
American cars are now reliable but they might have to improve a little to match Japanese. My wife recently went from a Honda Pilot to a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the jeep is a much better overall vehicle...I do wonder if the Jeep will meet the reliability standard that the Hondas we've owned habitually set.

I plan to buy a Camaro SS because no Japanese car can come close to matching it for overall performance and fun!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:08 PM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
Jeep is bottom of the barrell reliability will be interesting to see how much real impact it has on your ownership though.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-05-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 PM

505 posts, read 838,975 times
The most "American" cars nowadays are Japanese brands thanks to the Big 3 offshoring a lot of production. I like the designs of the newer domestics but would never buy one after being burned by them in the past. Japanese brands have been slipping since the early 2000s but at least they don't have fundamental management problems like the Big 3 do.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 6,293,209 times
The "Japanese" Nissan Xterra that I had was built in Tennessee, it was a good car.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
buy what you want. i buy american cars because they build what i want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive