Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:03 PM

18,925 posts, read 43,225,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So if you want my opinion, and who does, if you want to build up mold on your AC excchange radiator fast and furious, please do stay in Recirc mode. Also, drops your mpg. Also, kills your AC comp faster, as it makes it run at maxx. Which is good for dealers and repair shops.
Though for about $40 you can get set of window visors for your car and drive around with half inch down crack in windows on the passenger side. What creates a beautiful circulatory wind inside your car, removing moisture and cooling you down.
Just saying.
Recirculate dries the air even more, so how would that create mold? With the high humidity where I live, bringing in moist outside air is probably more likely to cause mold. As far as mpg and the ac compressor longevity, it makes no difference, it's the same no matter if it's in recirculate or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,015,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Recirculate dries the air even more, so how would that create mold? With the high humidity where I live, bringing in moist outside air is probably more likely to cause mold. As far as mpg and the ac compressor longevity, it makes no difference, it's the same no matter if it's in recirculate or not.
+1

Recirc just closes a fresh air 'duct.'

ANd how do I get cooler in 105 degree heat by cracking a window?

38 years of driving, not a single AC issue no matter what settings I use.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,407,113 times
A quick update on my recirculation fascination:

I always thought that on really hot days the reason my AC was not working very well was some kind of design flaw in VW's, maybe their air conditioning was just not on par with American cars. I say this because on on warm days my AC would work great, and that's what led me to believe I was not low on refrigerant, so I never recharged the system.

Well, today my outside thermometer on my dash hit 100 degrees, the highest its been all year. When I flipped on the 'recirculate' feature my air was as cold as it normally is when the thermometer is reading 75 to 80 degrees outside and the not using this feature.

So, yes, it is true, your air works much better when using cooler cabin air then hot outside air. Cool story!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:44 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,112,824 times
I also use some venting. I do put the sunroof in vent mode, it does help the hot air escape from the roof.

I wonder why automakers stopped using those triangle vent windows?they did help alot with keepingbthings cool whileb driving .

Old 07-22-2017, 01:22 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,848,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I also use some venting. I do put the sunroof in vent mode, it does help the hot air escape from the roof.

I wonder why automakers stopped using those triangle vent windows?they did help alot with keepingbthings cool whileb driving .
I remember my dad telling me to never open the triangle window on our (at the time) new car. So I did and we heard wind whistling noise no matter how hard we closed it. While it was open it blasted you in the face with 70 mph air.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:41 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,848,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So if you want my opinion, and who does, if you want to build up mold on your AC excchange radiator fast and furious, please do stay in Recirc mode. Also, drops your mpg. Also, kills your AC comp faster, as it makes it run at maxx. Which is good for dealers and repair shops.
Though for about $40 you can get set of window visors for your car and drive around with half inch down crack in windows on the passenger side. What creates a beautiful circulatory wind inside your car, removing moisture and cooling you down.
Just saying.
Max AC simply means highest fan speed, coldest temp, and recirculation.
The compressor is on all the time until you shut down the AC. It doesn't care what fan speed you're running. That's just adding extra noise in the cabin. Recirc will recycle the air.
After the cabin temp is comfortable, the compressor will stay on and work just as hard as it did when it was 200 degrees in the cabin.
At that point there isn't much point in keeping the recirc function on unless it always stinks outside, you're low on refrigerant, or your car is insulated like a beer can.

Mpg is only affected if it's off vs on. Fan speed and recirc does not affect mpg.

I've noticed some modern cars shut off the AC while you start the car to save wear on the starter ( the starter isn't turning the AC compressor). Once the engine is on, the AC comes back on. That's genius.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:13 AM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times
And if the inside of your windshield fogs up in cold, dry weather, you want to put it on fresh air. Humidity from your breath builds up in the car when it's on recirc, causing fogging.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 AM

16,163 posts, read 8,313,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wow, I can't believe I've never used it. Damn. I'll be using it from now on.
Keep in mind that initially, having recirculate off can help get rid of the heat in your cabin quicker by bringing in air from the outside first.
Think in terms of initially opening the windows to let the heat come out, despite it being very hot outside.
Another words, if the air in the cabin is hotter than the air outside (due to heat buildup from the sun and closed windows), having it on for a few minute will get you cooler quicker. Then you put it on recirculate from that point forward.
That is why you will see auto climate controls (that sense both interior and exterior temps) have outside air coming in initially, then switches to recirculate once the cabin temp reduces below the outside temperature.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:18 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Keep in mind that initially, having recirculate off can help get rid of the heat in your cabin quicker by bringing in air from the outside first.
Think in terms of initially opening the windows to let the heat come out, despite it being very hot outside.
Another words, if the air in the cabin is hotter than the air outside (due to heat buildup from the sun and closed windows), having it on for a few minute will get you cooler quicker. Then you put it on recirculate from that point forward.
That is why you will see auto climate controls (that sense both interior and exterior temps) have outside air coming in initially, then switches to recirculate once the cabin temp reduces below the outside temperature.
Yes. That is why I open the windows first when driving a hot vehicle, turn AC on, drive less than a minute like that, and THEN close the windows.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,867,781 times
Best to change the cabin filter.

Which most people never heard of and never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive