Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 AM

255 posts, read 447,654 times

Advertisements

Is this a common practice? I never saw it anywhere before I moved to Las Vegas. I'd think they would get a whole lot more sales if they were open on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
Up here in Quebec its only recently they have been open on the weekends,a few years ago you almost had to take a day off work to go buy a car.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:22 AM

15,183 posts, read 8,768,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlady View Post
Is this a common practice? I never saw it anywhere before I moved to Las Vegas. I'd think they would get a whole lot more sales if they were open on Sundays.

Source

Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Colorado also bans car sales on Sundays. My guess is that it originally had something to do with church goers.

However, the dealers support it. If nobody can sell cars on Sunday then the total sales don't change. However, it forces capital investments, i.e. the dealership, to be unused 14.3% of the time. That's free-dumb.

In my opinion, government should not restrict trade in that manner.

But it has one benefit. You can tour the facilities on Sundays and at least look at the new cars without being annoyed by a sales person.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:25 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,012,216 times
Quote:

Then you would have been disappointed 50 years ago: Mostly open on Sundays back then was church, fire, police, and the hospital. The essentials we call them.

The way it should be.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 AM

7,120 posts, read 9,185,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Then you would have been disappointed 50 years ago: Mostly open on Sundays back then was church, fire, police, and the hospital. The essentials we call them.

The way it should be.
You are entitled to your opinion. Nobody forces you to buy a car on Sunday.

But I think it violates the First Amendment of the US Constitution

The first amendment to the US Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Old 07-21-2017, 07:00 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,012,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. Nobody forces you to buy a car on Sunday.

But I think it violates the First Amendment of the US Constitution

The first amendment to the US Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

________
The only businesses closed on Sunday by law were those that dispensed alcohol(Blue laws). Otherwise, it was, in the American culture of that time, just the right thing to do.

It will take a re-examining of our beliefs to get back to that, not a law. Perhaps you don't work in retail, but it's so easy for those that don't to complain: "Stores should be open longer", "They should add Sunday hours". There may be some for whom retail is a career, or who love it and don't care which days they work, but even that does not make them machines behind the register always at your beck and call, any day of the week. I'm conservative: I like my Sats and Suns off, and would like to see Sundays, and more holidays, as mandatory off for those who work hardest for the least.

Look what some greedy retailers are doing to Thanksgiving Day. Forcing family members who work in those stores to cut short their holiday to be abused by demanding early Christmas shoppers because that $50 50" LED TV just sold out.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-21-2017 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Tablet keyboard gone Ratched on me!

Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,665,609 times
Here in Texas (maybe only San Antonio?) there is no law prohibiting the dealer to be open on Sunday. the law just states it has to be closed one weekend day. In other words if you are open Saturday you have to be closed Sunday. If you are open Sunday you have to be closed Saturday.

In the early 90's I sold Toyotas at a large dealer on a row of other dealers all the same name (ex. Bob Smith Toyota, Bob Smith Ford, etc etc). Half of the row was open Sundays and half was closed Sundays. Of course that mean half was closed Saturday and have was open Saturdays.

BTW you can bet if we were working and someone was on the closed lot we had to run down there and close them. I dont know if that was a legal loophole or if we were breaking the law at the time but it is what was expected of us.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM

364 posts, read 711,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I never knew some states actually banned auto sales on Sundays. The map is interesting to me because considering how restrictive some of the blue laws are in southern states, you would think the bottom right quadrant of the map would be glowing.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 AM

13,623 posts, read 12,242,954 times
Quote:
How so?

If they can't get a car anywhere nearby on Sunday, are they going to forego buying a car completely?

Much of this legislation was pushed/championed by smaller family owned dealers that wanted a day off, and didn't want to be forced to stay open on Sunday because Autonation or Sonic came in and did it.

The thing is, as soon as one store does it, most of them have to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive